• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GR mouthpieces vs Lotus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franzizzle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:58 am    Post subject: GR mouthpieces vs Lotus Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
I am new to trumpetherald. Hope you can help me.

The recent hype around Lotus mouthpieces got my attention. I understand they are marketed as the "new benchmark". I was wondering if someone has any experience with Lotus and another benchmark brand, in particular GR mouthpieces, which is an established brand what Lotus may not yet be.

Are Lotus and GR mmouthpieces of the same quality? Do they offer the same advantages/ disadvantages? Could you try both and what would you choose?

I unfortunately cannot go to a shop, try both and compare myself. That's the reason why I ask the question here.

In advance, I'd like to thank you for your help, advice and experience.
Hub Van Laar Oiram Ack
Adams A5
Bach 72H
Benge 3X LA
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a GR 65SZ, 65MS, and a Lotus 3S-N (along with a Lotus 7XL-B and a GR 65FL flugelhorn mouthpiece) for awhile. That’s the upside, the downside is I am only an amateur hack

Anyway, both are very good mouthpieces, on par with other hype/high end/fashionable mouthpieces, some of which I have played as well, some not.

Generally I found both brands on the brighter and more powerful end of the spectrum. Of course some relates to the fact that all trumpet pieces I played are on the shallow side of things. Both are very well made, too. So, if you are looking for a bright, powerful, open, and brilliant sound with loads of bite or sizzle, those could be it. I found the GRs (including the flugel piece) to have a certain „sterile“ or „generic“ sound, a little „clean“, if you wish.

On the other hand the Lotus has plenty of presence and maybe a little more „character“ (for the lack of a better term) in the sound. I can see any of these pieces in a big band, commercial, rock band, outdoors setting.

Which one would I pick? For me: GR. I really dislike the Lotus rim, very sharp on the inside and very uncomfortable on the longer run, at least for me. Especially the 65SZ has a very nice combination of soft and comfortable rim and a very „useful“ sound profile, depending what you are looking for. Plenty of projection, too, but that goes for the Lotus as well.

Edit: I see you are in Lausanne - spent my military time in 🍺 (that’s one for the locals)
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I haven’t had the best luck with Lotus mouthpieces. Typically I play big cups like a Bach 1, 1X, 1B, 1 1/4B.

I’ve tried these Lotus mouthpieces with not great results::
1XL Bronze
1XL
1XL2
2XL
2XL2
1L

I guess Lotus just isn’t my thing. I haven’t gotten around to trying a GR yet.
The Lip 81

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best playing was in college about 20 years ago when I played so much I had chops of steel, and at the time, I was playing between a GR66M and a custom GR66M-MS with a #1 backbore at the time. I really enjoyed the rim, efficiency, and full tone the GR mouthpieces enabled me to play. The shallower mouthpiece had a full-spectrum of overtones even when being pushed. Also, the fit and finish of GR mouthpieces were and are second to none.

I have been enjoying auditioning a Lotus 2L2 lately, and I can say it is a very different animal. I actually like the rim profile, and the sound can really jump out of the horn. The tone is also very clear. I have to admit, though, that the Lotus really locks into slots which has hindered my flexibility, and as I get tired and old habits creep in, it can become a challenge to keep playing. That's on me, though. I believe that the Lotus mouthpiece is a welcome addition to the mouthpiece landscape, and Adam Rapa and his team seem genuinely excited about their products and helping trumpet players play better. If on a safari, it's worthwhile to try one or more!

Between the two brands, I feel it's going to come down to whether or not one likes the way the Lotus slots notes versus the GR which is more akin to standard mouthpieces. The hit to one's wallet is also considerably more palatable with Lotus, but the fit and finish of the GR is consistently stunning for the price. Either way, you can't go wrong.
Franzizzle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I have played a GR 65SZ, 65MS, and a Lotus 3S-N (along with a Lotus 7XL-B and a GR 65FL flugelhorn mouthpiece) for awhile. That’s the upside, the downside is I am only an amateur hack

Anyway, both are very good mouthpieces, on par with other hype/high end/fashionable mouthpieces, some of which I have played as well, some not.

Generally I found both brands on the brighter and more powerful end of the spectrum. Of course some relates to the fact that all trumpet pieces I played are on the shallow side of things. Both are very well made, too. So, if you are looking for a bright, powerful, open, and brilliant sound with loads of bite or sizzle, those could be it. I found the GRs (including the flugel piece) to have a certain „sterile“ or „generic“ sound, a little „clean“, if you wish.

On the other hand the Lotus has plenty of presence and maybe a little more „character“ (for the lack of a better term) in the sound. I can see any of these pieces in a big band, commercial, rock band, outdoors setting.

Which one would I pick? For me: GR. I really dislike the Lotus rim, very sharp on the inside and very uncomfortable on the longer run, at least for me. Especially the 65SZ has a very nice combination of soft and comfortable rim and a very „useful“ sound profile, depending what you are looking for. Plenty of projection, too, but that goes for the Lotus as well.

Edit: I see you are in Lausanne - spent my military time in 🍺 (that’s one for the locals)

Thank you so much! This is great inside, especially because I mainly play BigBand and are indeed looking for a bright and brilliant sound! (I had to re-read my initial post, to see if it was by chance that you were so spot on or if I gave more information that what I remembered). I currently play a Schilke 13A4A, so I suppose all rims will feel more comfortable.

🍺 (that's one from the locals for you )
Hub Van Laar Oiram Ack
Adams A5
Bach 72H
Benge 3X LA
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You play in the Big Band de Lausanne? Does it still exist?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Franzizzle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it does not exist anymore. But others in the region do. Montreux, Suisse Romande, project Bands,...
Hub Van Laar Oiram Ack
Adams A5
Bach 72H
Benge 3X LA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: