• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 236 D Trumpet Mouthpiece Suggestions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan_e10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Bach 236 D Trumpet Mouthpiece Suggestions? Reply with quote

I recently picked up a used Bach D trumpet. This is one of the short wrap D's with the 236 bell and the (small?) 0.448" bore. Does anyone out there play on one of these as well? What mouthpieces do you like to use on it? Any suggestions on what to try with it?

My interest in this trumpet was for something with a compact and bright sound, even a piccolo alternative. With all the mouthpieces I've tried, it definitely fits this and sounds like a big piccolo to me for the most part.

I've tried some of the mouthpieces in my tiny collection. My Bach 3C works okay though I'd like something with a bit more upper register support for this horn. I really like the sound of my Stork Vacchiano 3C though again I think something with a little higher register support would be appreciated. The cornet shank 7E 117 I use with my piccolo works okay with a cornet to trumpet adapter but I think even with the 7E cup, one of the other backbores with a little more resistance might work better. I tried a Marcinkewicz 15-S which does make the high register easier compared to the others though doesn't have the sound I'm after. Any thoughts?
thanks!
Dan
scott1860

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own this model. It played surprisingly well, considering that I payed very little for it. Anyway, I too had issues finding a mouthpiece that worked well for me. I typically play a 1.5 C on Bb/C and a 7E on pic. For some reason, I found that an old 7CW I had really worked well. It gave the horn a nice D/Eb sound.
dan_e10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Scott. You reminded me I have a Bach 7C sitting in the bin that I have been meaning to try.

I'd also be interested in any feedback on leadpipes. The previous owner of my horn installed a new leadpipe with a standard taper that was supposed to match the stock Bach leadpipe. I have the old leadpipe but I can't say how the new one plays compared to stock. I figured I would start by trying mouthpieces before I experimented with other leadpipes, but I would be open to trying something else such as Blackburn.
Dan
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played one of those in college. For the stuff I was doing on it my regular Bb mouthpiece worked, but I was not doing any baroque pyrotechnics on it--for that I used a piccolo.

It was a nice horn--a school-owned Mt. Vernon D180 with the 236 bell. It had a darker tone with just enough brilliance to sparkle when needed. I used it for "The Prayer of St. Gregory" on my senior recital and for some chamber orchestra things.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: