• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What horn do you primarily play and why?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetman7984

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: What horn do you primarily play and why? Reply with quote

Pretty much the title. We all have our go to horn, so I want to know your story behind what it is and why you chose it.

Here's mine: I primarily play on a Schilke B5. My teacher was a Schilke artist and I always liked his sound. I began on a Bach before switching to Yamaha just under a year in. I played on that horn for over a decade, but it got to a point where it no longer worked for me and I always liked the Schilke sound so I made the switch. Once I made the jump, I never went back and have been enjoying every minute of my playing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I have owned:
Connstellation
Committee
Benge 3X
Bach 190-37
Bach Commercial
Getzen Eterna Severinsen
Getzen Eterna Classic
Schilke B-1
Schilke B-7
Adams A-9
King Golden Flair

They are all excellent trumpets in their own right.

What you have should be determined by what you need. To Whit (harrumph). I am mainly a jazz improvisor but I have played in Pop Bands, Big Bands, Wind Ensembles and an occasional Classical small ensemble. I am not an Orchestral player.

I have a problem with the weight of any given trumpet.
My go-to horns, depending on the music/setting is a Benge 3X and a King Golden Flair.

My dream horn, but it's too heavy for me, is a Bach 190-37.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few terrific horns. Right now, most of my playing is on my Schilke i33, which is a great match for the big section "pops" music that constitutes much of what I play now (movie and television music, Broadway show music, etc.).

For church groups, brass quintets and choirs, I'm using my Getzen CB10 Canadian Brass model. It works so well for that kind of playing (not bad in a section either).
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For trumpet, I play a 1976 Bach Stradivarius, ML bore, 43 bell. I’ve owned it since the early 1980s, and although I’ve had many other trumpets since, that old Bach is still my favorite. Very versatile, nice sound, and slots very well and in tune.

For cornet, I play a 1993 Bach Stradivarius L bore 184 with a gold brass bell that I’ve had since around 2006. Same as I noted in the trumpet comment above, I’ve had a lot of cornets in the past, and this one is still the winner. It has a beautiful sound, responds well, and is very agile to play. It’s also pretty to look at…

Close seconds are my 1960 Conn 6B Victor trumpet and Conn 9A Victor cornet, though.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play an Olds Super Recording. I have been a full time/part time brass tech for 46 years. I have had my hands on a LOT of different horns. I own a few different horns for various reasons. I frequently get my hands on a horn that I think is better than the SR. I take it to a gig and play it during the first set. By the time the second set rolls around it is back in the case and my SR is back to work. The SR just makes the job easier for me. I play it for classical type music at church gigs, lead work in rock bands, and section/solo work in big bands.

Basically, you just have to find the horn that suits the way you play trumpet.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is easy for anyone here to guess. I play a Flip Oakes Wild Thing. I have owned two over the past 14 years. The first one was a silver plated original spec horn that Flip told me was one of two "exceptional" trumpets to come through his shop. I loved that horn! However, when I left Southern California and moved to Arizona, I stopped playing regularly and lost a fair measure of skill.

Come the fall of 2013, I compared my original horn and a copper belled trumpet with the new-spec #43 lead pipe. At first, I really didn't like it, but everyone that heard me said I clearly sounded better on the new trumpet. Flip was willing to trade horns and I ended up with the trumpet I have now.

Over the years, I've been able to play a good number of other makes and models. I've recorded myself playing some of them. My Wild Thing always seems to give me the best sound. I find it very versatile and responsive. It is still a horn that will dominate a section or ensemble, if the players aren't very strong, but with the assortment of tuning slides, I've found it to be a capable partner.

Flip became a close friend and has stayed so through my painful move and his own near-death experiences. His wife, Joyce, is one of the sweetest, most loving women I've ever met. I love them both dearly and will choose to honor them by playing Flip's instruments as long as I'm can.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first 12 years it was my Blessing Scholastic for the simple reason that it was the only horn I had.

Since 1992 it’s been the Bach in the signature. Why? The Bach generally does everything just fine and I could (if possible, will) go on for the next 30 years with it. Great horn.

The Schmidt is a very close second in terms of play time and my all time favorite. Why: I simply enjoy the sound and playability and it fits better into the orchestra than the Bach, I like to think.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
Basically, you just have to find the horn that suits the way you play trumpet.

That's so true. Like many of you, I've owned many different horns...Still have about 15 great ones. It's fun to get one out and play it for a few days.
But when I go back to my favorite, it just feels so good, and sounds so good to my ears.
That horn is a gold-plated Blackburn.
I don't know Joe Docksey personally, but when he retired from Denver Brass, he put this horn up on ebay. I talked to him on the phone about the horn, and he said, "It's just beautiful." It is, in appearance, feel, and sound.
So, thank you, Joe!
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my large bell Thane Performance on July 18th, 2022 and have played it almost daily for the last 8 months.

Prior to Thane, I spent most of my time on Bach and AustinWinds.
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul C - because almost all of my trumpet playing is at church and it just makes everything easier. I also play flute, so I can use the same music, too. If my choir director hands me a Bb trumpet part, I transpose it to C using iWriteMusic and then export it to 4Score (which I use for all my church work).

Pat
Finetales

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a Yamaha YTR-737. It works fine for what I do, and I got it for pretty cheap. I knew I liked Schilkes, so I correctly guessed I would like the Yamaha Schilke clones. Nearly all of my trumpet playing is in funk, soul, or cumbia bands, so the commercial sound is just what I need.

I'm pretty confident that neither this trumpet nor mouthpiece (ACB 1.25CDS, which has served me very well) are my forever match, but they work well enough for now.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own more than 21 horns but my money maker since 2004 is my 2003 Lawler TL5-1A simply because is the best horn I had , I keep two more Lawlers as backup and I have/had many different Lawlers,, Getzen, Calicchio, Schilke, Selmer, Conn , Olds, Kanstul, Marcinkiewicz, Yamaha, Van Laar,, Schagerl and no one is better for me than my first TL5-1A , this is the reason I still prefer that horn.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs

Last edited by giakara on Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen 900 Eterna LB from the 'Dark Ages' for orchestral work, 900 Eterna ML -Dark Ages as well- for jazz and commercial work.
For fun a Antoine Courtois Balanced and a Besson Academy.
(Antoine Courtois mod. Delmotte C-trumpet for classical repertoire)

I tried tons of horns from all makes but these horns mentioned above are my work horses.
The Getzens are the easiest horns to play AND they sound great, Getzen horns are very undervalued so if you are looking for a good axe try those horns, you won't be disappointed
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post started me to think about my choices. I currently have three trumpets, an Olds Super, an Olds Recording and a Kanstul 1001. I play all of them and really don’t have a preference but it seems that I will play one exclusively for a few weeks then switch to another. What I don’t know is why I make the switch.
SterlingBell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My go to horn is my 1990 Bach 43 Sterling Bell. I’ve got quit a few nice Bb trumpets, but I always take my Bach in a pinch. I wear through Bach trumpets lacquer and silver plate, so I had it gold plated soon after I bought it in 1990.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What horn do you primarily play and why? Reply with quote

trumpetman7984 wrote:
Pretty much the title. We all have our go to horn, so I want to know your story behind what it is and why you chose it.

I play a 1974 Bach 43* Trumpet. It was 1974, I just started high school, and I wanted a "professional" trumpet. I walked into Sam Ash, and said I wanted a Bach Stradivarius. They brought out a 43*, I tried it, liked it, and purchased it.

To be honest, I didn't know what I was buying or why. For better or worse, this was the horn I got. Over the years, it's taken a lot of abuse, and I tried to replace it about 14 years ago. But I couldn't find a horn I liked better. So instead of replacing it, I sent it to Kanstul to be refurbished. It's been my main horn for almost 50 years.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to give equal time to all my horns, but I have to confess I play my Getzen 700 just about every day. My Bach LR180-37 is a better all-around horn, but the Getzen is just dang fun to play. It has quicker response, a more open upper register, and great flexibility and I just like that "Getzen zing."
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
dmh737
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1977 LA Benge 3X+

Because it will do anything. And that Benge sound!
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomvi S3 BB -- I bought it at the Santa Clarita shop in 2019 after an extensive opportunity to try it out, as well as other Stomvi Bb's.

It's a beautiful, well-made instrument that simply makes my job easier.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach Anniversary Bb and Schilke C7...because I like them. Great tone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: