• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What horn do you primarily play and why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: My trumpet and why I play it. Reply with quote

I have a Getzen 700s that I "inherited" nearly 25 years ago. It has been the instrument that I have played through my comebacks over the years.

Why I play it? It's the instrument I have. Seriously, I always dug Getzen valves and the brighter sound of their trumpets. Unless I find an awesome deal for a Getzen Eterna 900, I'm likely to remain with the 700.

I have a few other trumpets that I don't really play because of my skill level. They mostly sit in their cases, cared for until I'm ready: A Getzen Eterna flugelhorn, a Dynasty m350 G trumpet (3-valve "soprano bugle"), a Blessing b152s C trumpet.

Before the Getzen 700s came along, I had a Bundy. For nostalgic reasons, I'll always have fond memories of it. It was the instrument I played during my childhood. Presumably lost now, last known resting place in the closet of my parent's house. They passed away a few years ago, and I assume the instrument was unceremoniously dispatched by my parent's other surviving children. Before the Bundy, there was a student-level Holton, model # undetermined, in the worst condition possible for a trumpet which remained basically playable.
Mark Leccese

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An early 1970s Schilke B-1, refinished. The medium large bore is perfect for me. It's a free-blowing horn and it's a great all-purpose horn. It's my rest-of-my-life horn.

I first laid hands on one about ten years ago when my teacher showed up to a lesson with one. I played it, and that started a decade-long dream of owning my own.

I played a Jupiter 1600i for a long time and really liked it -- it was responsive and clear -- but that Schilke lingered in my mind.

My backup horn is a Constellation. I keep it because it has such a different feel and sound from the Schilke.
Yamaha YFH-8310Z Flugelhorn
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: What horn Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have too many groups to have one primary horn. Early 70's Schilke B2 for SSJO. Schilke S33HD for concert band and quintet. C3HD or C5L for church stuff. XA1 for brass band and concert band. The B2 is lighter and brighter for jazz playing. The other horns, have more core and color for those groups. I have smaller horns to fit other rep.
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play whatever horn "calls to me" on any particular day.

Today it's my brand new Chinese horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: