• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sonic Boom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject: Sonic Boom Reply with quote

Hello all
I described it to my wife "Imagine - 6 years after first picking up the Trumpet I found a tiny button on my trumpet, a button I had never noticed before - it's so small - inscribed with 2 unbelievably small letters.. were they "s" and "b"? I pressed the button, started to play, suddenly BOOM! Sonic Boom..."

This was two weeks ago. I was playing in a Metro tunnel - lips did not feel good from the Get go.. I gave myself a talking to "Come on Steve.. sort something out.. experiment" I did - moving the Top/Tip of my Tongue from anchored behind my lower teeth (Or somewhere - i was not really conscious about its position) to resting against the lower lip. Now I feel the aperture is composed of a Triumvirate of 2 lips plus Tongue. I am very conscious of the front of the Tongue now all the time when playing and can feel it tingling. Sonic Boom (SB) has improved my tone/ resonance a lot (30%..?) and yesterday i played in the Tunnel 1 hour 20min non stop. Unthinkable two weeks ago. (40 mins my old maximum)

With the advent of SB my long notes now just seem to defy physics - keep going even when I feel the air has stopped. My instinct tells me this is a sign of a more Balanced Embouchure.

I was not going to post here - I said to my No 1 Supporter they will laugh at me! Then by chance I saw a You tube video by Tom Hooten - someone people don't laugh at - talking about his new Embosure device. He was saying that the Tongue is just about to say the word "The" which is pretty much Sonic Boom in a Word.

Thanks for reading - Steve
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do some research on Jerry Callet Tongue Controlled Embouchure. Sounds like that is what you are experiencing.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sonic Boom Reply with quote

steve0930 wrote:
... - moving the Top/Tip of my Tongue from anchored behind my lower teeth (Or somewhere - i was not really conscious about its position) to resting against the lower lip. ...

-------------------------------------------
I think many descriptions regarding having the tongue 'anchored' are misleading and might only apply to the anatomy and 'feeling' of the author.

The goal is the position of your tongue in your mouth that gives the best function and control.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: