• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke cx4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurth83

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject: Schilke cx4 Reply with quote

Got one from WWBW to try, was hoping to love it.

EDIT: I did eventually learn to love it, see below.

I never thought I would find a horn that was "too open", given I love my CG Selmer which feels slightly tight to me, but I think this one may qualify, I'm kinda bummed. It is an amazing horn though, sounds almost like a Bb, even a slightly cornetish sound when played with a deep cup. Amazingly responsive with a huge sound from whisper soft to super loud, and so easy to go loud, just sigh into the horn. It's slightly looser slotting makes it a breeze to play in tune for those like me who like that kind of horn. Sadly it seems to impact my endurance. I find the same thing on too small a horn too, if I am fighting to get enough air through it. Too bad it seems to be too much horn for me. I think I'll try the CX next or maybe a C3 (being one or two sizes down from the CX4).

Anybody else have experience with any of those horns?

Last edited by kurth83 on Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you send your CX4 back, any chance you can try it with a heavier mouthpiece (e.g. Denis Wick Ultra 5c) or with a mouthpiece weight (e.g. JK adjusting sleeve) or with a smaller backbore? It helped me with one of my horns that sounds great but felt too open and too hard to control.
kurth83

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be growing into it. So I will likely keep it. It may be the finest "big" C I have ever played so really hard to give it up. I just can't get over the amazing sound, and how easy it is to do stuff on it. I think it will be preferred over my S22CHD now (and my Shires 4f), both of which are also amazing horns.

I ordered an X4 to go with it...
kurth83

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to keep reawakening this thread.

For fun I took this thing into my symphonic band rehearsal - 2 hours of blowing my brains out (ok we do it musically, but not like an orchestra where you actually have rests).

I ended up with more endurance than I had with my Shires AF which previously was the most open and loudest horn I owned and my goto for concert band, big surprise!

Best I can guess is I didn't have to work as hard to get the same volume.
My bandmates said my volume was the same (yes cuz I was playing the same volume deliberately, basically working less hard to do it), and I had extra volume to call on when I needed it. They said my tone was richer and fuller too.

Yeah, home run.

So the horn gets 5 stars, two thumbs up, etc. Gets a huge symphonic tone with a symphonic mouthpiece. Interestingly, it's sibling the X4 is often used as a lead horn with shallow mouthpieces, so these horns (CX4 and X4) respond very well to mouthpieces and different playing styles.

Last edited by kurth83 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've discovered the secret to large bore, large blow horns. Play them with better breath support and less force.

I had an X4 for a short time and loved it, eventually. I had to sell it some time back. It was a great trumpet for big band and other stuff requiring confident playing. It wasn't a faint hearted trumpet, by any means!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: