• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warmest Flugelhorn?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
Or if you're into Batman, you could always order one of these!

https://wmic.net/flugelhorn-batman-phat-boy-andy-taylor/

That will go great with my new vehicle:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/132082201546614963/

(The guy who sold it to me assured me it's a 'chick magnet'!)

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
dstpt wrote:
Or if you're into Batman, you could always order one of these!

https://wmic.net/flugelhorn-batman-phat-boy-andy-taylor/

That will go great with my new vehicle:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/132082201546614963/

(The guy who sold it to me assured me it's a 'chick magnet'!)

Hi-lar-i-ous!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennyg2019 wrote:
So...who is this American connection that will send out Taylor flugelhorns on trial?

When I do a Yahoo search on "Taylor Trumpet dealers", the following comes up: http://www.thetrumpetshop.com/index.html

I am not sure what their trial policy is, though. Also, the site appears to have some stale information.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a Benge 5 Flugelhorn for almost 50 years and still play it. I tend to think of it as having more of a french horn and less of a dark cornet sound. I've seen many posts about problems with these horns playing in tune but don't find that being a problem for me. It is so easy to bend the pitch that if you have the pitch in your mind it comes out of the horn.
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDK who Andy's man is in the States but he posts on FB every Friday and answers questions. About a year ago he said he was looking for someone, and a couple months later said he'd found him.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rwwilson wrote:
I have had a Benge 5 Flugelhorn for almost 50 years and still play it. I tend to think of it as having more of a french horn and less of a dark cornet sound. I've seen many posts about problems with these horns playing in tune but don't find that being a problem for me. It is so easy to bend the pitch that if you have the pitch in your mind it comes out of the horn.

This was my experience in college stage band, back in 1980, when the band director brought in two brand new, consecutive numbed Benge 5s. It wasn't until the later 2000s that I played a couple of others. I still had the same mouthpiece I had purchased back in the day. These horns had terrible intonation. They were really unusable in any kind of ensemble.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bill Blackwell"]
shofarguy wrote:
... I

But the mouthpiece even more so. Try a Flip Oakes Extreme mouthpiece in your size. Your horn will never sound warmer/darker. Contact him. I believe he still has some in stock.

I second the Flip Oakes Xtreme! Makes my Wick 4 seem bright! I know OP is inquiring about the horn selection, but if open to mpc experimentation, this is as dark/warm as one can get, IMO
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Inderbinden Wood?

I was wondering how big/warm-sounding it is compared to the Kanstul.

At $6K+ it should be REALLY warm.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennyg2019 wrote:

Back in 2013, Inderbinen came to NAMM and I had the chance to try the Wood. I did like it. I thought it was the best instrument they had at their display. I felt it was comparable to the darkest Adams, the Kanstul 1525 and even my Wild Thing flugelhorn. I think it has a fluffier sound than my WT or Kanstul's 1025. It has a lot of visual interest, too.

It had good response and intonation, from what I could tell in that environment. I would be proud to own one, if I were in the market for a horn in that price range.

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, pray tell, is a "fluffier sound", LOL?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any consensus here about what a ‘warm’ flügel sound might be? I hear dark, fluffy and so on. BTW I don’t believe anybody is looking for a ‘cold’ sound out of a flügel. For me the sound of Roy Hargrove on his Wood flügel is not what I would call ‘dark’ and actually also not necessary as warm though the sound is beautiful. IMO more light and airy.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
What, pray tell, is a "fluffier sound", LOL?

When the core is less defined by high frequency overtones; diffused.

dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I've heard people use the terms, "fluffy" or "fluffier," I have gotten the impression that they are talking about overtones that are more diffuse, or basically a tonal profile that is "less dense," if that makes sense. When I've heard sounds that are way too "fluffy," they lose the characteristic core of the tone on which the overtones are built, to the point where it's diffuse from where the core would be to the outer extremities of overtones, or what we might expect to be there, anyway.

In contrast when I hear a really bright (but rich) trumpet sound, I recognize it as one that has core but also a consistent growth of overtones all the way to the bristles in the overtones to offset the core, which adds contrast to the total tonal experience. If I listen to Esteban Batallán of the CSO, I hear the full spectrum of trumpet sound...and it's amazing! If I want to hear something similar in the flugelhorn...well, I just imagine hearing Esteban Batallán playing flugelhorn! Hahahaha!!!!

But some like it fluffier...
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Kennyg2019 wrote:

Back in 2013, Inderbinen came to NAMM and I had the chance to try the Wood. I did like it. I thought it was the best instrument they had at their display. I felt it was comparable to the darkest Adams, the Kanstul 1525 and even my Wild Thing flugelhorn. I think it has a fluffier sound than my WT or Kanstul's 1025. It has a lot of visual interest, too.

It had good response and intonation, from what I could tell in that environment. I would be proud to own one, if I were in the market for a horn in that price range.

Can you give me some more details about how it compares to the Kanstul 1525? Is the sound as big and loud or more compact and soft?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Probably the best definition of "fluffy" I've found is analogous to food: "light in texture and containing air".

"“Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.” ― Thelonious Monk

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennyg2019 wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
Kennyg2019 wrote:

Can you give me some more details about how it compares to the Kanstul 1525? Is the sound as big and loud or more compact and soft?

The Inderbinden Wood is definitely more diffuse (fluffier) than your Kanstul 1525. Your flugel has a lot more distinct overtones, which will project easier (be louder) and will be easier for others to find your center of pitch...as well as you hear where the center of pitch is in order to tune to others.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dstpt"]
Kennyg2019 wrote:
Shawnino wrote:
Andy Taylor may not do returns but IIRC he has a person in the States who will ship horns out for trials....

Not sure who the person in the States would be. I guess you'd have to ask Mr. Taylor....

I see that Jamie's Trumpet Gallery is carrying some Taylor horns, so maybe she's his new US rep.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Is there any consensus here about what a ‘warm’ flügel sound might be?

I think of it as being like shoes . . .

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all of this discussion about flugelhorn sound, mouthpieces and intonation, I'm a little bit surprised that no one has mentioned the leadpipe taper. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the french (or "Couesnon") taper makes a significant difference in both sound and intonation. Now that Kanstul is gone, getting a french taper leadpipe for any flugelhorn is problematic, and I don't think even the current incarnation of Couesnon makes horns that take the french tapered mouthpieces. It's possible that one of the B&S flugelhorns (maybe the FBX) ships with a french taper leadpipe, but I'm not certain about that, and I haven't seen them offered for sale as parts.

Also, the bottom-sprung valve clusters allow for a tighter wrap, which I feel influences the sound and intonation. Bottom-sprung valves and french taper leadpipes were the features of the F. Besson and Couesnon flugelhorns that defined the sound that, at least for this listener, makes for that classic warm, smoky jazz concept.

It would be nice if someone were to specialize in making leadpipes for flugelhorns similar to the Blackburn leadpipes for piccolo trumpets. Yamaha flugelhorns in particular, but in my opinion just about every flugelhorn would benefit from a french taper leadpipe/mouthpiece combination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: