• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tonguing on the Top Lip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that I do this properly. I do feel like I'm spitting a seed off the tip of my tongue, just like the instructions say. I am definately tonguing through the teeth, but I don't feel the tongue striking the top lip. Am I close enough to the proper technique so that I'm doing myself some good, or do I need to make more of an effort to actually strike the top lip? Thanks in advance.

Tom
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, tongue the top lip.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have justed started on BE but I wished I had done so much earlier. The more I tongue the lip the easier it becomes. Sometimes it feels as if I either don't quite hit the lip or do so lightly and can hardly tell. I am not looking for a screaming high range (not that I would reject it if it happened). I am looking for a strong range up to G above high C - especially in the bothersome area of A, B, C & D.
I was working on the third movement of the Haydn tonight and have never felt stronger above the staff.

Mike

[ This Message was edited by: Trptbenge on 2004-01-24 21:32 ]
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

It is also very possible that as time goes by, you will feel stronger and stronger as each week passes. It is a great feeling to be confident in one's trumpet playing.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham
Bruce Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomba51

Posted: 2004-01-20 15:46
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure that I do this properly. I do feel like I'm spitting a seed off the tip of my tongue, just like the instructions say. I am definately tonguing through the teeth, but I don't feel the tongue striking the top lip. Am I close enough to the proper technique so that I'm doing myself some good, or do I need to make more of an effort to actually strike the top lip? Thanks in advance.

Tom

Hi, Tom!

Yes, on page 17 of the BE book, Jeff address this issue. He states:
Quote:
What I eventually discovered was, it's not "doyou tongue on your lips?' but, "can you tongue on your lips?" Simply being able to do it is enough to trigger a generally positive change. In other words, it's a means to an end rather than an end unto itself.

Most importantly, on page 18, Jeff makes this statement:
Quote:
But it has a value beyond simple articulation. Tonguing on the lips helps you feel your lips within the mouthpiece. As a side benefit, it also keeps the teeth the proper distance apart.

The key is there. Jeff's belief is that the tongue will find out where to go on its own. Page 16, in the BE book describes the tongue's role:
Quote:
The tongue is a "secondary air valve. Lips, which can squeeze the air into a much tighter stream (when flexed correctly0, are the primary air valve.
Balance is the goal!

We all find different points to grasp, in order to achieve understanding. This is one of the major points in the book that works for me. I hope that it may be helpful for everyone!

Best always,
Bruce

Callet Trumpets
Lawler Trumpets
Eclipse Trumpets
Northern Brass Mpc's
GR Technologies Mpc's

www.northernbrass.com
(603) 421-9178

[ This Message was edited by: Bruce Lee on 2004-02-01 08:23 ]
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time that the tongue is in a closed (striking) position is relativlely short in the course of normal articulation and it is possible, I think, for the tongue to be contacting the lip without you realizing it.
Unfortunately I can't reference BE since I gave it back to my friend but as I recall and as I understood the zip tonguing exercise, should be helpful in finding the right place to articulate.
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had great luck with doing the roll-out exercises and making sure that the upper lip is down to where I feel it with the tongue for articulating. It certainly helps to improve the general playing of music.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: