• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Loosen bottom valve caps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taswalb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Loosen bottom valve caps? Reply with quote

Another trumpet player in my community band said that he loosens his bottom valve caps. He said it opened up the horn. Anyone else do this for the same or any other reason? If so, can you explain the mechanics behind how this would change how the horn plays?

Yamaha Allegro 5335 G
Mouthpieces Bach 3C, Yamaha 14B4 GP, Bach 7C
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tighten mine just enough to keep them from coming loose and it seems to help the upper register a bit. There’s a bigger difference without any caps at all, but that can be messy. Some put an o-ring around the threads and screw the cap against it to produce less tension while still securing the caps. Maybe it works, and maybe it’s just a placebo effect…who knows?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Loosen bottom valve caps? Reply with quote

taswalb wrote:
... can you explain the mechanics behind how this would change how the horn plays?

---------------
Likely due to stresses and dimensional changes -
e.g. if the cap 'squeezes' the casing, or if the horizontal 'mating surfaces' of the cap and casing are not quite parallel.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Loosen bottom valve caps? Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
taswalb wrote:
... can you explain the mechanics behind how this would change how the horn plays?

---------------
Likely due to stresses and dimensional changes -
e.g. if the cap 'squeezes' the casing, or if the horizontal 'mating surfaces' of the cap and casing are not quite parallel.

Just spit-balling here, and I realize it's a different thing with different physics, but I would liken it to the effect things like barrel bands, clamped vs pinned, vs set-screw gas blocks, or anything else touching a rifle barrel, has on accuracy.

ANYTHING that messes with the barrel harmonics - how a barrel flexes or moves as a bullet is traveling down it - can throw accuracy for a different reasons.

Likewise, tightening/loosening things like valve caps, using heavier vs lighter valve caps, or even seemingly unrelated things like the tightness of the screw for the tuning slide water key - can have an effect on how the horn resonates as a whole.

As an Army trumpet player, I needed to have a lyre holder on my trumpet, so I used one of the ones that clamps on to the leadpipe - I'd cover the area with a piece of tape to keep it from marring the finish - and even that had an effect on how the horn played.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first heard about a bottom cap effect in the mid-’80s from an early Monette adherent in Chicago, which was confirmed in a phone call to one of Dave’s insiders by a beat-around-the-bush non-denial. I did some of my own testing with reliable ears-in-the-hall listening and ended up with no bottom caps on a CG Benge with a commercial mpc, and with DIY weighted bottoms on a modded Bach 229. I used a Grime Gutter on the capless Benge for 35 years (and Curry CCaps when they becaome available on the C).

About 1987 I had a chance to talk with Armando Ghitalla as he was hanging backstage for a solo appearance later in the program. He had a Grime Gutter on his C tpt. When I asked him if he had removed the bottom caps, he enthusiastically replied, “No, but they’re hanging on just by a thread! What do you know about this?” He was very much aware of the effect.

—Denny
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just changes the way the horn resonates. Not better or worse, just different. Like heavy valve caps, loosening the water key screw, etc…
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to screw them on pretty tight, to the point where you almost needed tools to get them off. Lyre and finger hook rings too. Can’t say I really noticed a difference when playing, but these days I keep them a lot looser, with just a little slide grease to make sure they can be removed easily. As a mental aid though, not overly tight screws ‘feels’ more open to play. But I’ll readily admit it’s probably in my head.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was testing a little something that Flip Oakes gave me when I visited his home at the beginning of the month. I decided to do my normal warmup routine, in order to have a good feel for my trumpet before I changed or added anything to it. I begin with a bit of lip buzzing, then mouthpiece buzzing just to get the old kisser loosened up and flapping like it should. I "clocked" my mouthpiece as I inserted it into the receiver, then started to do my usual long tone five scale descents. Something was wrong.

I just could not seem to cleanly land any notes. I was playing the easiest stuff in the world, but what a fight! I figured is was because I had not been playing for almost a week, so I kept going along, but it didn't get better. I was a little peeved. I put my horn in my lap and subconsciously started checking the caps and stems to make sure none of them were loose. The 1st valve bottom cap was tight. Really tight. I'm not sure how it became that way, but it took awhile to get it loose. When finally I did, I adjusted all three so that they were all the same amount of snug.

I tried playing again and the horn felt normal, responding as I had come to expect.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Manny Laureano adjusts the tension on his top and bottom valve caps on his Monettes - I seem to recall reading something about that somewhere on one of the boards.

He's Julliard trained and a principle trumpet player of a major orchestra - I figure he must know what he's doing.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: