• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Conn horns?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest expanding your options. I had great success finding some very nice horns at very reasonable prices. My daughter said she was going to play a trumpet in her 6th grade band about 7 years ago. I was a comeback player so needed two, one for her and one for me. Found a Blessing ML1 and a Kanstul French Besson Internation off Craigs list in the $200-300 range. Craigs list is nice because you can play the trumpet before you buy. Both were way too nice for a 6th grader and too stuffy for me so I flipped them. Got my 1947 Conn 22b off Ebay. The lacquer looked really bad, and the slides were stuck. That may have chased away other bidders. The valves looked really nice and I didn't see any dents so I took a chance and got it for $100. Vintage Conn 22b's are build like tanks and the Crysteel valves are almost bullet-proof. Alas, my daughter didn't like the raw brass after I took the lacquer off, or the bottom sprung valves. Found an 1969 Olds Custom Crafted on Craigs listed for $125. The original owner didn't know the Custom Crafted model was the top of the Olds lineup retailing for 150% more than a Bach Strad back in the day. It played like crap when I tried it. She put in new valve pads that were way too thick. I got my 1947 Holton model 48 for less than $300 from a Goodwill auction. I would avoid Goodwill unless you really know what you are looking at. Goodwill Horns are usually in poor condition and bidders overbid more often than not. My first Ebay purchase ever was for a Kanstul French Besson Classic b-flat. I was the only bidder at $499 including shipping. It came in pristine condition, with the extra set of heavy bottom valves caps designed for the horn, in a Kanstul double horn case. The seller had listed it just as a Besson trumpet. I could tell what it was the Kanstul FB from the photos. Daughter ended up playing a used Holton 602-R that I got from a local Sam Ash for $300. The vintage horns I found weren't shiny enough for her and the silver-plated horns I found were way too nice. I believe the R model 602 Holton was made by Yamaha for Holton. It's very similar to the current Yamaha student trumpet and it plays just fine for a marching band. All my finds were in very good condition with very nice valves when I got them. All of the silver-plated horns have flawless finishes. The lacquered horns have wear in the usual places but they have great valves and play just fine. I may have just been lucky but studying all the trumpet loyalist sites beforehand and being patient certainly helps. Open up your options. Good luck hunting. Here are the vintage trumpets that I mentioned. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/4_Vintage_Trumpets.jpg
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHirakawa wrote:
I would suggest expanding your options. I had great success finding some very nice horns at very reasonable prices. My daughter said she was going to play a trumpet in her 6th grade band about 7 years ago.

Daughter ended up playing a used Holton 602-R that I got from a local Sam Ash for $300. The vintage horns I found weren't shiny enough for her and the silver-plated horns I found were way too nice. I believe the R model 602 Holton was made by Yamaha for Holton. It's very similar to the current Yamaha student trumpet and it plays just fine for a marching band.

I may have just been lucky but studying all the trumpet loyalist sites beforehand and being patient certainly helps. Open up your options. Good luck hunting.

You are quite right, I do much research before buying. To date, the most I've paid is $270 for my Martin, got really surprised on my Conn military spec 2B/22B(has features of both & ML bore, so must be a custom order) when I bid a day before auction end, just to see where it was actually at, expecting it to go into 500 range, and no one else bid after me, so got it for $220 from Canada. Chose wisely, ask a lot of questions if online, if they don't answer or send pics, move on, good chance may be hiding something. I'm going to have to check craigslist more, seems people are getting great deals there and always nice to actually hold before buying.
Does your daughter still play?
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
King Liberty('25,'29,'34 Silvertone)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That new “Conn 22B” is based on a King trumpet. Basically it is a King 601 (maybe 602, I can’t remember right now the real differences between the king models)
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwgib wrote:
JHirakawa wrote:
I would suggest expanding your options. I had great success finding some very nice horns at very reasonable prices. My daughter said she was going to play a trumpet in her 6th grade band about 7 years ago.

Daughter ended up playing a used Holton 602-R that I got from a local Sam Ash for $300. The vintage horns I found weren't shiny enough for her and the silver-plated horns I found were way too nice. I believe the R model 602 Holton was made by Yamaha for Holton. It's very similar to the current Yamaha student trumpet and it plays just fine for a marching band.

I may have just been lucky but studying all the trumpet loyalist sites beforehand and being patient certainly helps. Open up your options. Good luck hunting.

You are quite right, I do much research before buying. To date, the most I've paid is $270 for my Martin, got really surprised on my Conn military spec 2B/22B(has features of both & ML bore, so must be a custom order) when I bid a day before auction end, just to see where it was actually at, expecting it to go into 500 range, and no one else bid after me, so got it for $220 from Canada. Chose wisely, ask a lot of questions if online, if they don't answer or send pics, move on, good chance may be hiding something. I'm going to have to check craigslist more, seems people are getting great deals there and always nice to actually hold before buying.
Does your daughter still play?

Two of my daughters' friends decided to play trumpet so she did too. All three switched to choir the next year. They didn't have to practice for choir. My youngest daughter chose flute. I rented the flute and that ended up costing more than most of my horns. I think the only horns I paid more for were the Benge and the Kanstul French Bessons. I was the only bidder for a near mint Kanstul b-flat for $499 and it came with a Kanstul double horn case. The Kanstul French Besson C trumpet was listed on Ebay at $750, buy now, old stock, unused condition. There was only 1 other bidder when I got the Holton 48 and he quit before it hit my limit. My brother gave me his Bach Strad cornet when he retired (he wouldn't give me his NY Strad b-flat), A friend gave me the Conn 80a he used in high school. I got the Benge 3 flugel horn at a local Instrument Exchange by trading her student trumpet and a very nice silver Besson 10-10 trombone that I got for less than $100 from goodwill. The flugelhorn is in mint condition. The Benge trumpet is the most expensive horn I have. Got it at a local estate sale last year. This is how it looked after I had a tuning slide tube resoldered and a cleaning. Couldn't pass on a 1948 Chicago Benge in that condition for $1000, plus I was able to play it before I forked over the $. (I always take mouth pieces and valve oil when I go to an estate sale.) I could flip any of the horns for at least as much as I paid and the hunt was a lot of fun. You also have to put that into perspective. My youngest daughter is on an ice staking team. She outgrows her skates every 6 months and a new set costs $600.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/1947_Chicago_Benge_Trumpet.jpg
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHirakawa wrote:

Two of my daughters' friends decided to play trumpet so she did too. All three switched to choir the next year. They didn't have to practice for choir. My youngest daughter chose flute. I rented the flute and that ended up costing more than most of my horns.

Lol, that's what I worry about in finding students to give some of my collection to, that it'll get sold or put in a closet after a year. I really need to find a way to find those deserving that are serious about playing, not just a whim, AND would appreciate a classic piece vs. a new "shiny" toy.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn 22B by far. Even the later student model 22B is a good horn; easy to play, good sound, decent valves, student proof construction.
The pro 22B's are like Getzen Eterna's: a bit on the bright side but very good instruments; Bud Herseth played one in his early years. My NYS model from 1924 is still a great horn, very well in tune, great valves -though a little bit leaky- great projection and she is a looker as well
jlambmusic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my personal list of best playing Conn trumpets I have tried in order,

1. Conn 8B Lightweight
2. Conn 2B New World Symphony
3. Conn Connstellation 38B
4. Conn 8B Grand Gustat (1930s)
5. Conn 22B

Conn 8B Lightweight had a very effortless blow from bottom to top and was pretty consistent in the registers.
Not common to find in the used market, not easy to find for a good price either.

Conn 2B is a special horn, especially the ones with a " * " marking on the valve block indicating that it has the bell made from "french brass".

Conn 22B is one of the most plentiful vintage horns out there in the market since Conn produced a ton of them over the decades. You can acquire them for about $150 in decent condition. They're small .438 bore trumpets but are easy to get up the upper register but some players may find them less flexible than the other Conn models.
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlambmusic wrote:
Here is my personal list of best playing Conn trumpets I have tried in order,

1. Conn 8B Lightweight
2. Conn 2B New World Symphony
3. Conn Connstellation 38B
4. Conn 8B Grand Gustat (1930s)
5. Conn 22B

Conn 8B Lightweight had a very effortless blow from bottom to top and was pretty consistent in the registers.
Not common to find in the used market, not easy to find for a good price either.

Conn 2B is a special horn, especially the ones with a " * " marking on the valve block indicating that it has the bell made from "french brass".

Conn 22B is one of the most plentiful vintage horns out there in the market since Conn produced a ton of them over the decades. You can acquire them for about $150 in decent condition. They're small .438 bore trumpets but are easy to get up the upper register but some players may find them less flexible than the other Conn models.

I read a couple places some really famous trumpeters played the 8B. I've never seen one for sale. Just got me a 10B which also seems rare. Very nice, but very brassy sound, small bell 4.25", medium bore 0.46"
Had my sights on a great 2B for $300 with all the original extras in the case, rod, lyre, mute, 2 period mpc. Then the guy took it down for error in listing, never up again. Kick myself.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dwgib, here is an 8B for sale. Located in Europe, though:

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/trompete-conn-8b-artist-raw-brass/2457162561-74-970?utm_source=copyToPasteboard&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_medium=social&utm_content=app_ios
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn 60B !!!!
Great sound, response and sizzle !!!
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Hey dwgib, here is an 8B for sale. Located in Europe, though:

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/trompete-conn-8b-artist-raw-brass/2457162561-74-970?utm_source=copyToPasteboard&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_medium=social&utm_content=app_ios

I looked on ebay too, there are three, all over $2000, so that one's at a better price.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, now that’s some news! But maybe this one is for you: https://www.austincustombrass.biz/1967-conn-8b-lightweight-artist-model-trumpet-in-lacquer/
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
resel86

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: