• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach "Apollo" 17043 GYR

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Bach "Apollo" 17043 GYR Reply with quote

I red about a new Vincent Bach model Apollo 17043 GYR. Very interesting!
Especially since the family name of my Swiss wife is Gyr.
Now a few questions:
    What does the name GYR stand for

Can we expect a model Apollo 17037 GYR?

Gyr is a Swiss name and the Swiss has their issues with the Austrians (Vincent Schrotenbach -AKA Vincent Bach- was born in Austria) so I am very curious.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

170 - one level below the 180 series

GYR- G for gold brass stem, Y for yellow brass flare, R for reverse leadpipe

Any connection to a Swiss surname is likely just a coincidence.

I would be surprised if they made a 170-37, since there are already 2 new 37 models in the 190 series.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
170 - one level below the 180 series

GYR- G for gold brass stem, Y for yellow brass flare, R for reverse leadpipe

Any connection to a Swiss surname is likely just a coincidence.

I would be surprised if they made a 170-37, since there are already 2 new 37 models in the 190 series.

It's not really below the 180 series as it used the block and slides from the 180 series except they are brass instead of nickle silver slides. It uses the 170 number to differentiate it from the the standard 180 series and the 190 series as it is a new trumpet. As Andy stated it is truly a pro trumpet. What you are really getting is a 180 series horn with the new two metal 43 bell, 6 leadpipe geared towards jazz for a bit less than what the 180 series costs. It's a brighter horn.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger

Last edited by chef8489 on Wed May 24, 2023 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been playing one since last Friday.

I’ve played three distinctively different shows since then. (2 B’way shows and one orchestral show)

This horn is 100% a professional trumpet. 170 is just a model number. It is a Bach Strad 180 valve set and slides. It is a Strad 6 pipe that’s been reversed. The only difference being the two piece bell. (Monette and Getzen use two piece bells on their top models)

The 6R pipe is not tight. It’s actually smooth and free blowing. And super responsive. I prefer it to the 25.

The bell, being gold brass and yellow is very interesting. It provides the full and round sound from the gold brass bell, which balances the lightweight body. Yet, the yellow flare still provides carrying power and snappy articulation that a full gold brass bell tends to lose.

Fit and finish are exemplary. The seam between the bell is amazing. Intonation is on par with any Yamaha artist model.

Also, the 43 bell is all the same characteristics of the 18043 and 19043

Honestly, I’d expect Bach to sell a lot of these (especially given the price)
This horn is a steal at its price. And, the weight of the horn makes it so easy and quick to respond. It may be the most flexible Bach Bb I’ve ever played.
AndyLott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, a New Bach thread I enjoyed reading!!

The 17043GYR is a bit of an awkward name but it was the most logical one I could come up with that follows Bach nomenclature. Once you know what you are looking at, I think it makes sense.

The 170 is an LT180 body with our new 6R reverse leadpipe and a two-piece two-material bell that gets all the normal annealing and Bach magic. We tried some different combinations of materials for the bell but this one was the real stand-out!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, looks like some of the Bach bashing years are over I have already been very interested in the Mariachi and the Commercial model when they came out but the Apollo has piqued my interest. Owning an Olds Studio cornet in need of cleanup and some fixin‘ I was wondering if there would be other two tone bells available such as brass stem and nickel flare.

Will the new models replace the old new ones or will they tag along while the Commercial and Mariachi, the 7/7 etc. will continue to exist?

Would an Apollo bell fit onto my Bach 180 in the sig (yeah, I know, just thinking out loud for the time being)?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to play the Apollo 17043GYR as well. Cool horn. As has been stated, despite the two-piece, two alloy construction, it sounds like a "regular" 43. I use my 19043 (1st gen) as a point of reference.

This is a really responsive horn. Notably so. You don't have to put a lot of air through it to achieve desired results.

I found the blow to be a bit tight, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

Edit: I noticed that someone else commented on the exemplary fit and finish. I agree. I'll add that the valves were fantastic. I've always regarded Bach valves as...fine. They are smooth and reliable, but never stood out for me like the valves from Getzen, new Van Laar or Schilke. The valves on this Apollo were like butter.

Last edited by Dayton on Thu May 25, 2023 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, never heard of the 170. Even on the Bach website it is NOT listed. The only way to find it is to do a search for 170.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
Interesting, never heard of the 170. Even on the Bach website it is NOT listed. The only way to find it is to do a search for 170.

It's listed on the website. When you go to Bachbrass.com you click on the new era of Bach pic learn more. It takes you there and lists all the new models.
https://www.bachbrass.com/instruments/bach-trumpets
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.connselmer.com/bach-apollo-trumpet-in-bb-17043/5637197886.p?back=true
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who haven't googled it yet...

Bach Apollo 17043GYR

I got fewer results when I separated "17043 GYR" for some reason.
========
From Musician's Friend website, listing it in silver plate at $2749 (when it comes available in the next few months):

170 Apollo Series Professional Bb Trumpet Specifications:

Instrument
Type: Trumpet
Tuning: Bb
Level: Professional

Construction
Bore: .459"
Leadpipe taper: Reverse
Leadpipe material: Yellow brass
Body material: Lightweight yellow brass
Bell diameter: 4-7/8"
Bell material: Gold brass stem with yellow brass flare
Slides: Yellow brass inner and outer
Slide adjustments: 1st valve saddle and 3rd valve fixed ring with stop screw
Valve type/Construction: Monel piston

Other
Case: Deluxe wood shell double
Mouthpiece: Bach 7C

Also, thanks for including the Double Case, Andy and Team Bach/Conn-Selmer! AND for the 3rd slide screw stop! Much more practical for many, IMO.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to compare the 170 to a Mt. Vernon Mercedes (not the Elkhart versions.) The all brass Mercedes had a 2 piece 38 bell a standard 7 leadpipe but a .456 bore.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
It would be interesting to compare the 170 to a Mt. Vernon Mercedes (not the Elkhart versions.) The all brass Mercedes had a 2 piece 38 bell a standard 7 leadpipe but a .456 bore.

I had an early Elkhart Mercedes and have wondered if they were similar. But I was a kid and didn't know much. Just stuck it on my mouth and played.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1960 Mt. Vernon Bach Mercedes, which had a .456 bore. I was told that it was only the last 10% of the first series Mercedes that had a .456. Most of them, I understand, had a .435 (Medium) bore...so I was told and read at one point.

A previous owner had put an Amado water key on it, so I purchased an original Bach lever key from Allied Supply and had it installed. The brass tech also did some touch-up gold lacquer around that area. Most of the original lacquer was still in tact, except for contact points around the valve casing. I saved one picture...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vxm40v523h1n2j/Bach-Mercedes-1960-04.jpg?dl=0

Because I was accustomed to an ML bore (.459/460) on most of my Bb tpts, I felt that Mercedes was a little constrictive in the blow, but I think I could have adjusted. As serendipity struck, I ended up selling it to a local jazz artist, who said that the Mercedes was his first horn! It conjured lots of nostalgia for him.

I'm not certain this new .459 bore Apollo and the MV .456 bore Mercedes would be a fair comparison due to the difference in bore size, at least, not for me, but if I get my hands on an Apollo soon, I'll connect with that jazz player and do some mutual comparing and contrasting on both sides of the bell.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:

I'm not certain this new .459 bore Apollo and the MV .456 bore Mercedes would be a fair comparison due to the difference in bore size, at least, not for me, but if I get my hands on an Apollo soon, I'll connect with that jazz player and do some mutual comparing and contrasting on both sides of the bell.

It's hard to tell - the 170 has the 6 pipe which is on the tighter side while the Mercedes had the #7 pipe - on the open side. While I liked Bachs with #43,44, and #7 pipes - I could never stand the regular weight 25.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leadpipe info is interesting. I had a 25 on my Bach, felt it was OK but after giving in to red rot I had my tech put a 43 on. The 43 is worlds apart from the 25; it’s so much better for me.

Now I never played a reverse Bach (I think) but I wonder if the 6R on the new Apollo might make it a similar blow to my horn. Mighty interesting instrument, this Apollo …
1977 Conn 6B
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I’d post my thoughts on the leadpipe. First off, I’ll preface that I’m mainly a classical/orchestral player. But, have a fair bit of experience with B’way, Pop, commercial, and jazz.

My main equipment is a 1.5C/5B like mouthpiece and a Large bore C trumpet. (Although it seems like Ive only played Bb for the last few months!) So, I don’t play on small or restrictive horns or mouthpieces. Even my commercial mpc has my 1.5ish rim.

I’ve played a 6 leadpipe once before. And, it did feel kinda small. I also don’t care for the Bach 25R pipe, as it always felt too open and lacking core.

The 6R does not feel restrictive at all. Putting the reverse on the 6 pipe gave it a really relaxed blow. Not totally unlike a 25. But, I’d say the 6R is just a touch smaller at the front end. This creates a super malleable attack. It takes very little effort (whether using a symphonic mpc, or a commercial mpc)

Super soft pu attacks are effortless. And, intonation is (in my opinion) extremely in line and improved over the 25 pipe. When you need to get edgy, it’s also less effort than the 25.

Many people would be surprised just how easy this horn plays.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
...Mighty interesting instrument, this Apollo …

That's it...the nickname for this new Bach should be:

The Mighty Apollo!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just got even more interesting by way of the comment from a.kemp - I like the possibility to also push the sound and go edgy and really brilliant. Would be a nice contrast to my rotary.

The mighty edgy Apollo
1977 Conn 6B
njt

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do these hit most of the dealers stores?

-Nicholas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: