• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing trumpet with lower dentures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 3:43 am    Post subject: Playing trumpet with lower dentures Reply with quote

I have been playing just fine with a full upper denture for the past 8 years. But now, at almost 87 years of age I am facing the possibility of having to play with a full lower denture.

Anyone here with this kind of experience and can you play trumpet with a full lower denture ?

Help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Playing trumpet with lower dentures Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
. . . and can you play trumpet with a full lower denture?

Chet Baker did (full upper and lower dentures). However, he frequently complained that (for him) they tended to slip. He eventually taught himself to play without dentures, and was able to perform that way (albeit with deficits in certain technical aspects of his playing).

Present day advances in dental prosthetics may give you a much more favorable result. I would consult with your dentist regarding the importance of your trumpet playing.

If you already know any or all of this, please forgive the gratuitous information.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Playing trumpet with lower dentures Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Chet Baker did. However, he frequently complained that they tended to slip. He eventually taught himself to play without dentures, and was able to perform that way.

Halflip. That's interesting. Where did you read/hear that? I have heard Chet talk about that and he never mentioned playing without dentures.

Additionally, I have seen him play on several occasions, post-teeth, and he was always wearing dentures and they were bever visibly slipping. I'm interested in Chet's comeback so like all the information I can get. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Playing trumpet with lower dentures Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Halflip. That's interesting. Where did you read/hear that? I have heard Chet talk about that and he never mentioned playing without dentures.

I think I read it in a biography of Chet -- maybe "Deep In A Dream: The Long Night of Chet Baker". (My copy is packed away in storage or I'd look it up to make sure. I could be wrong about this being the source.)

Fortunately, I'm not the only one to have heard this -- in the following thread:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1326316

cornet74 says, "Chet Baker lost his teeth in a beating. He was fitted for dentures. It took him a number of years to play with dentures. Sometimes he played with dentures; sometimes not. At the time of his death at 58, he was mostly playing with dentures."

I have a number of his later albums, and it seems pretty obvious on some of them (based on his articulation and 'hissy' sound production) that he's playing without dentures. The album "Broken Wing" recorded in Paris in 1978 is a good example (NOTE: I think the newer reissue of this has some tracks added from a different session). The difference is quite distinct compared with his playing on "Chet Baker in Tokyo" for example.

kehaulani wrote:
Additionally, I have seen him play on several occasions, post-teeth, and he was always wearing dentures and they were [n]ever visibly slipping.

I saw Chet Baker play at the Jazz Gallery in the early 70's, and the Milwaukee Journal published (or reprinted) a recent interview to promote the event. I recall pretty clearly that Mr. Baker told the interviewer that he was having some trouble with his dentures slipping when he played.

There were other places where I've seen discussions about some of his challenges with his dentures, but I can't cite the sources off the top of my head -- sorry!

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Halflip.

I know both those recordings. Chet in Tokyo is especially impressive. (My Funny Valentine's killer). By contrast, I think Broken Wing is kind'a sad. One thing about Broken Wing, though, is not only is his playing weak at times, so is his singing. And singing has nothing to do with his teeth.

I heard an interview of Harold Danko who said that on that Japan tour, Chet stayed off of drugs deferring to Methadone. Chet was afraid of the Japanese drug police. Having lived in Japan I can assure one that, at that time at least, his fear was justified.

He mentioned how much stronger Chet played and how much longer and more flowing his lines were. Broken Wing was, by contrast, in Europe where his drugging was relatively unhindered. And it was within the last decade of his life when his drug use was out of control.

So, what to really attribute his performance/sound to on Broken Wing?

(Nice playing by his trio, though.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Red Rodney and Roy Eldridge also wear dentures?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
And singing has nothing to do with his teeth.

Really? Enunciating lyrics has a lot to do with teeth. (Just sayin' . . .)

peanuts56 wrote:
Didn't Red Rodney and Roy Eldridge also wear dentures?

I think you're right.

GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice conversation, fellas, but I was hoping to hear from some member here who is playing trumpet with a full lower denture. Guess there isn't any.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Nice conversation, fellas, but I was hoping to hear from some member here who is playing trumpet with a full lower denture. Guess there isn't any.

Why don't you try sending a PM to member "bent tubing", who started the thread to which I provided a link in my second post here. Sounds like he got a full set of upper and lower dentures.

Hopefully he is still active on TH.

GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Halflip, I'll give that a try.

I sent him a PM early this morning and I awaiting a reply.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: