• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Questions for trumpet repairmen

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
dwgib wrote:
I wish the websites for Allied and https://badgerstatesupply.com/index.php?pg=catalog allowed you to look at their catalogs. Never understood why companies do that. Badger doesn't even have a sign up page, just a log in, and Allied requires a sales tax id number just to sign up.

Besides buying parts from public facing companies as Divitt Trumpets suggests, you can always form a relationship with a good local tech and ask them to look for parts for you on the "pros only" sites. They would probably be willing to sell you the parts at cost or for a nominal markup if you are trying to install them yourself.

Speaking as someone who worked near techs in a music shop, there was a guy who worked and taught at a school who often ordered parts from our store to fix instruments - either his or the schools, presumably. The repair guys usually filled those orders, though after a while, they got a little grumpy about being used that way.

I think after a while they came up with something regarding this, but I can't remember. It's also possible that region was shifted to a new location, so they weren't the ones dealing with it going forward.

To be clear, this was not a few one off parts, I think if one were to cultivate a relationship with a local tech, they'd be ok with getting occasional parts in for you as long as you also used their services for some things.

But, again, I'm not a tech.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
The repair guys usually filled those orders, though after a while, they got a little grumpy about being used that way.
. . .
To be clear, this was not a few one off parts, I think if one were to cultivate a relationship with a local tech, they'd be ok with getting occasional parts in for you as long as you also used their services for some things.

I absolutely agree! I should have added that what I mentioned should only be used occasionally, not abused. No one likes to be taken advantage of or taken for granted.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:

Besides buying parts from public facing companies as Divitt Trumpets suggests, you can always form a relationship with a good local tech and ask them to look for parts for you on the "pros only" sites. They would probably be willing to sell you the parts at cost or for a nominal markup if you are trying to install them yourself.

I've thought of that, haven't had a lot of luck finding a "local" tech, there is a music store I've been meaning to visit bc they have a trumpet on Reverb I was hoping to possibly trade for a Conn alto sax, Twenty miles away though and from their website seems they fix mostly string instruments and send out other stuff. I'll just have to search more. Tried buying some leadpipes on ebay, but like pulling teethe to get even the people that only sell parts to measure them. It's like they don't know what a caliper is and don't have a clue about how what they sell works. Last time it took me 4 different messages (a day between each) to get across to the guy what on the pipe I needed him to measure and he didn't use a caliper, just a ruler. You'd think if someone is parting out trumpets they'd have some clue as to how trumpets work, that they are all different, AND be ready to do measurements of parts so they don't get returned.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
King Liberty('25,'29,'34 Silvertone)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: