• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stepping up from a student horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
benwinkler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Stepping up from a student horn Reply with quote

In the last year I got back in to playing with a Yamaha 2330 after 33 years away. It certainly plays way better than the beater bargain basement Bundy I had in grade school. I enjoy playing (easy) jazz, swing and big band. I would like to get a "pro-level" horn and am looking for an "all-around" horn. Yes, I recognize that there isn't one single horn that is going to do it all very well but I don't have reason to own more than a single horn. I have read good things about the valves on Getzen trumpets and have been considering an Eterna 900 or 907 Proteus. The price is certainly more appealing than others that I have looked at such as the Bach 18037. I'm not opposed to spending more if there's a good argument to do so.

I would love to get some ideas about this horn- maybe what you would buy if you could have only one horn between $1800-$3500.

I appreciate all of your experience and your responses.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t overthink it. A good standard horn like a Bach, Yamaha, (fill in many other brands new or used here) will do. I could have easily spent my entire amateur career on the Bach in my signature. I’ve played orchestra, soul, funk, pop, trio, quartet, big band, … with it and no one ever complained about the trumpet. At times I did in fact play funk music with my rotary, again no complaints.

Would I need the rotary or the cornet? Not really, but it’s fun to have a little choice and change and I just really love my Schmidt horn. Overall, as long as your instrument is in good technical shape, I have come to the conclusion that horn choices are much more about personal preference than anything else. Maybe not what you wanted but there you have it
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tons of horns that fit into this category so, instead of trying to list them all, here are a few of my favourites.

The Benge 3X was patterned after the French Besson, the quintessential trumpet of its time. Very versatile and they can be had for around $1,500.00, used.

An alternate could be the Getzen Severinsen Eterna. I played from classical to soul band, professionally. I would not play it in a professional symphony, but neither would you I suppose. But for anything else, no problem. Around $1,500.00, used.

If you want a nice, shiny horn with warranty, the Getzen Eterna Classic is just about the same as the Severinsen. Around $2,500.00, new.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have read good things about the valves on Getzen trumpets and have been considering an Eterna 900 or 907 Proteus.

Those are fine horns, with the 907 Proteus arguably a bit more versatile. Another terrific option in the Getzen lineup is the 700 Eterna II, which would also be available used in your price range. It is listed as an intermediate-level horn, but I'd unhesitatingly use one on any kind of gig.

Beyond Getzen, there are many other horns to consider. Try as many as you can and see what you like. With older horns you need to watch out for potentially expensive repairs, like leadpipe or slide replacement resulting from red rot, or valves that need to be overhauled.

Good luck!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say a word about choosing a horn based on the reliability of Getzen's valves. I'm, frankly, tired of reading about Getzen valves being the Gold Standard as a trite, go-to comment.

Don't get me wrong. I've had several Getzens and have never had a problem with the valves. But, by the same token, I have had Committees, King, Schilkes, Bachs, Conns, Selmer and have never had a valve problem with any of them, either.

So, buy the horn that is in good condition, makes you feel good and does what you need it to do.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s too bad that Kanstul is a thing of the past. They had a lot of really solid choices. Anymore it seems like it’s mostly boiled down to a couple of main options for the pro-level do-everything trumpet:

Bach Strad
Yamaha Xeno

At least those seem to be the default suggestions.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back with a second comment: I agree with kehaulani comment on the Getzen valves. I did have a Getzen Eterna C a while back and while the valves were good, I did not feel they were any better than those on the Bach or even my Holton Collegiate cornet. The choice is quality vs. not-so-much quality and any modern manufacturer with good processes and quality control will deliver good valves. Which ones you like best (if any) is again a question of personal taste.

Trickg pretty much confirmed what I said before about target brands but looking at your budget again (and depending on where you live): 3500 bucks will also (almost) buy a Thane, a Del Quadro, or a bunch of other custom horns. Alternatives that get good reviews as well are Carol Brass or the new Jupiter lineup. Personally I’d go used (re: ACB, Dillon, Centex, Horn Stash, Beverly Music, Baltimore Brass, Thompson Music, Del Quadros used horns would be interesting to me if I were in North America) but I’m not you.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stepping up from a student horn Reply with quote

benwinkler wrote:
.......I would love to get some ideas about this horn- maybe what you would buy if you could have only one horn between $1800-$3500.

I appreciate all of your experience and your responses.

Like others have said, most any name brand horn will do the job, it is really a matter of preference as to what horn or type of horn "clicks" with you and your sound model. One of the worst choices I ever made was when I upgraded from a King Tempo to the default Bach 180/37. While the Bach did have better intonation than the Tempo, I grew to hate it. That horn and I never connected, so to speak.
Try before you buy, and try many models.
My suggestion for you would be Schilke, they are truly wonderful horns.
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One of the worst choices I ever made was when I upgraded from a King Tempo to the default Bach 180/37. While the Bach did have better intonation than the Tempo, I grew to hate it. That horn and I never connected, so to speak.
Try before you buy, and try many models.

Same here. Then I traded the 180/37 for a 190/43 and I love it.
Yamaha 631 Flugel
benwinkler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your insights!
TwinCitiesTrumpets

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ben,

I sent you a PM with a recommendation.

- Luke
Authorized Dealer of CarolBrass Instruments

CarolBrass CTR-6280L-GSS Bb trumpet
Kanstul French Besson Classic Bb trumpet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have overlooked it but did the OP give a price range?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he did. He wrote:
I would love to get some ideas about this horn- maybe what you would buy if you could have only one horn between $1800-$3500.

You can buy good used Schilkes all day long in the lower part of that range.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
Yes, he did. He wrote:
You can buy good used Schilkes all day long in the lower part of that range.

LOL, now THAT's a price range. Thanks.

BTW - "You can buy good used Schilkes all day long in the lower part of that (price) range"

I am not particularly a Schilke guy but one I had and, probably never had a good reason to replace, was a Schilke B-1. I don't notice their being mentioned here much, but I believe this is one on the cleanest, nimblest and good sounding horns available. Very versatile. It was Renold Schilke's favourite. You owe it to yourself to give it a try.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: