• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cleaning Up Lacquer Wear- B&S Challenger II

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knobz

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Cleaning Up Lacquer Wear- B&S Challenger II Reply with quote

I just got an extremely good deal on my ideal horn, a B&S Challenger II with a heavy gold brass bell. It's "new" but a 2012 model, and the shop that had it mostly trades in audiophile stuff and doesn't seem to be very experienced in brass. According to the owner, it was playtested a few times but has mostly been sitting untouched in their store for ten or eleven years. It doesn't seem to have been wiped down before storage, so there are two small spots where the lacquer has some defects. Pics here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1z1syWEd1j90hNlhT_ziOo2M_sA6HypNS?usp=sharing

Aside from this, the horn is in excellent shape and has no other signs of wear, and this doesn't really affect playability at all. I've read some other posts talking about using clear nail polish on spots like this- I'm wondering if there's anything I should do to clean it first before putting some nail polish on these spots, or if folks here have any other suggestions.

Thanks!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, I recall seeing this thread a little while ago:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149701&highlight=nail+polish

There were several recommendations to clean the surface before applying clear nail polish, but DON'T use acetone--that could very likely remove more of the surrounding lacquer! Isopropyl alcohol seems to be the recommended choice (after remediating any corrosion or tarnish).

BTW, Sally Hansen's "Hard As Nails" is the preferred brand of polish for this application.

I've done this once or twice myself, and being a fussy person, I found it useful to mask around the area I am going touch up with a little painter's tape so that I don't get polish where it isn't wanted should my hand prove unsteady. Also, don't 'over-brush' or try to improve what you apply initially--just daub it on and then let it dry. When I mess with it too much, I just worsen what I did initially.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I would not worry. If those are the only blemishes on the horn, it must be in GREAT shape - yes I know that’s not what you wanted to hear, sorry!

Happy that you like heavy gold brass bells (no, not referring to my Bach at all ).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
knobz

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:

I've done this once or twice myself, and being a fussy person, I found it useful to mask around the area I am going touch up with a little painter's tape so that I don't get polish where it isn't wanted should my hand prove unsteady. Also, don't 'over-brush' or try to improve what you apply initially--just daub it on and then let it dry. When I mess with it too much, I just worsen what I did initially.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I definitely could have done it a bit smoother, but I feel better having something protecting those spots.
knobz

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
To be honest I would not worry. If those are the only blemishes on the horn, it must be in GREAT shape - yes I know that’s not what you wanted to hear, sorry!

Happy that you like heavy gold brass bells (no, not referring to my Bach at all ).

It really is in great shape. I'm not stressed about this really, just want to make sure I'm setting it up for the long haul.
On the bell subject, this is the first horn I've played with one and I'm a total convert. I always felt like my regular strad got a little brittle when I would really gun it, this feels way more natural and satisfying to lay into.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: