• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Restore question on lacquer finish

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Restore question on lacquer finish Reply with quote

Just received a 1947 Holton 45. Horn is perfect condition except for the finish. I's really strange because it really seems like something was spilled/spayed on it that turned the finish dark brown all over except for inner surfaces of the 3rd slide and main slide tubes, same on area of 1st slide tubes, the backside of valve casing, and extreme part of bell, although that has like a spattered pattern outside and inside. To add to the strangeness, It has no nickel plating anywhere, where the pics i've seen show the top half of the valve casings, the finger hook on leadpipe, and the bell to leadpipe braces should be nickel plated. Also the 3rd slide has an are around the tube about 1/2" wide, all the way around, where the lacquer finsh is perfect, as it is on the back side of the valve casings, all the way, no nickel.
The no nickel might be explained by it' manufacture being so close to WW2. I guess possibly could've been made during, when nickel was in short supply, and serialed later.
But the finish thing baffles me because I don't know what could do that. The valve casing could be fine bc maybe it had a protector on when it happened, and that 3rd slide must've had something wrapped on it or a clamp mounted lyre mount I've seen on other Holtons.
I'm guessing some sort of stripping attempt? As I can see the bell seam all the way from the valve casing just up to where the finish is good but splattered rust like spots.
Anyway, going to try to strip it and re-lacquer at some point this summer. Maybe have it silver plated, since I've found I really like how it plays.

Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
King Liberty('25,'29,'34 Silvertone)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
jlambmusic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horn definitely doesn't look that bad. Generally the valve block serials would usually be stamped instead of engraved and stamped ones would usually hold up very well over time.

If it was me, I would just strip all the lacquer off and keep the horn in raw brass to let it oxidize enough for the nice raw-aged look.

Also the raw brass areas do not look like it had any chemical solutions applied there for rapid aging, it looks like typical oxidation to me which is dependent of course in the different weather conditions the horn has been through.

It is ultimately up to you for the finish options but try not to use spray lacquer as they tend to be unreliable in the long run.
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlambmusic wrote:
The horn definitely doesn't look that bad. Generally the valve block serials would usually be stamped instead of engraved and stamped ones would usually hold up very well over time.

If it was me, I would just strip all the lacquer off and keep the horn in raw brass to let it oxidize enough for the nice raw-aged look.

Also the raw brass areas do not look like it had any chemical solutions applied there for rapid aging, it looks like typical oxidation to me which is dependent of course in the different weather conditions the horn has been through.

It is ultimately up to you for the finish options but try not to use spray lacquer as they tend to be unreliable in the long run.

I may go with just the raw brass and used wax spay furniture polish like I read somewhere on an article on brass. I also read about using a boiling water, vinegar, salt solution for 15 minutes, to remove tarnish, make it shiny, without buffing, but hard to do on such a large object.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
King Liberty('25,'29,'34 Silvertone)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: