• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Movement and precision

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EarTrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading a bit about the B.E. method and I am considering trying it. I am curious about movement and precision though. With the embouchure not being stretched back, do players find that they still have the flexibility to play slurred octave+ leaps without embouchure movement? And what about control and precision. Isn't the embouchure unstable and prone to all manner of problems of precision, inconsistency, and a general lack of control?

Tim

Ps. Can I purchase the book in the U.K?
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

It is avalaible in the UK. If you want to pay in euro's, please send me an email at larrios60@hotmail.com. For credit card payments, I would suggest to contact Bruce Lee from Northernbrass.com, also a poster on this forum.
As to your questions, I would recommend reading around on this forum and read the chapters available on Jeff's site: http://www.trumpetteacher.net.

Ko
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

About precision, etc.

If you look in another tread here, "B.E. work on all brass", you will see more of what I'm going to say here.

Among french horn players there are at least two camps. The most common, is the Farkas followers, those we can call the "poker face"- players. The other is the "rubber-face" concept.

At a seminar in Oslo, a famous U.K. horn player was conducting a master class. A student was having troubles with big jumps. The U.K. guy told him to be more "poke-face"-like. Of course this will help in minimizing som face movements. But, there is a but. A lot, really a lot of "poker-face" players struggle with other problems:

* range
* endurance

A big price to pay for "small movements".
If you want range and endurance and decide to make a transition from a "Farkas-face" (flat chin, tight corners, etc.) to a more dynamic B.E. type of playing, you will have to pay a price: It takes time.

The good thing is that if you do it gently, and if you are patient, you will be able to play with your current setup and gradually (say over 2 years) make the transition. Why is this? As a chapter in the book says, B.E. is an indirect method. You just do the B.E. exercises (20 min. each day) - then "forget" it, and keep up your regular playing. Over time you will develop better range, better endurance - and in my opinion a better sound. Lip slurs, octave-jumps (in B.E you will find an exercise with a 4 octave jump) will be even easier.

Tim, if you give it a try - good luck! Remember to BE patient.

Ole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: