• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Amado keys yes/no?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Amado keys yes/no? Reply with quote

What is the consensus on Amado water keys?

Right now, I have a stuck one that I just can't get loose. I'll probably have to send it out. This has happened in the past on other horns, too, as well as another one going limp (unusable) on me.

Is there a fail-safe way of keeping them in order or should I just get them replaced with conventional water keys?

Thanks

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Amado keys yes/no? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
What is the consensus on Amado water keys?

Right now, I have a stuck one that I just can't get loose. I'll probably have to send it out. This has happened in the past on other horns, too, as well as another one going limp (unusable) on me.

Is there a fail-safe way of keeping them in order or should I just get them replaced with conventional water keys?

Thanks

Oil the Amado every time you oil your valves. I use Ultra-Pure horn bearing oil so I can get the back side oiled as well. The springs do wear from use eventually, so will need to be replaced every few years, much like the spring on regular water keys have to be replaced periodically.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve oil on the piston of the key will keep it moving, once you get it unstuck.

When I service an Amado, it gets oiled after cleaning. Unfortunately it isn't user-friendly if it freezes or the circlip breaks.
https://yourbrass.com/
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it just sat in the case for too long. This is on my cornet which doesn't get played (hence oiled) regularly.

It's not a PAITA but seems a little irritating to have to take it out of the case to oil every few days if I'm not using it. I have never had that problem with lever keys.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like Amado keys but if you got them you have to oil them every time you use your horn if you don't want trouble.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick a pin in the little hole on one side and work the whole thing back and forth. I've never had one stay stuck.

That being said, I also find them annoying that I have one more thing to maintain.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people don't like maintenance chores, but if you want something to work correctly for any length of time, you have to maintain it. Horns, cars, homes, marriages... A person has to learn the value of good maintenance.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a couple years off the horn and the Amado key on the M/K slide for my C wouldn’t budge. Period. I soaked it in warm soapy water overnight and that loosened it. I try to keep it oiled, but if I go more than a week or 2 it sticks. But not like it did after 2 years.

If you can get it to move at all, the metal tip on a Pentel mechanical pencil fits perfectly in the vent hole to push it back. Don’t ask how I know.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced mine. Despite what I believe to be proper maintenance, I had one fall apart while I was warming up backstage before a performance. It is easy to make a temporary fix if anything fails on a lever water key; not so with an Amado-style key (to the best of my knowledge).
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't care for them at all and won't purchase a horn with them on it. I'll request a horn maker put the traditional water keys on them.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
Leatherlip
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the occasional sticking, I've also found that the Amado water hole in the tuning slide and 3rd valve slide is smaller that a traditional lever / cork water key. At first, I tried to blow water out as usual, but discovered that with the smaller hole, I just blew the water past the drain hole and into the horn.

I have since replaced the Amado water key system with Saturn water keys, and
also had the tuning slide hole opened up. Very happy with this setup. The weight of the Amado and Saturn is about the same, as was concerned that it might change the horn a little.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Amado keys better than levers with corks. I’ve never had issues with Amado, but I also play my horn daily and clean/oil it weekly at the very least.

If you let a horn with Amado keys sit untouched for months, the keys can get firm and possibly stuck. There are plenty of videos online how to take it apart and clean it though.

Currently I’m using Saturn keys and they’re probably my favorite, although they look bulky and can take a little time getting used to using. Saturn keys hold a better seal than Amado and are easily serviceable with no tools needed.

So if you want something low maintenance, I’d pick Saturn. If you want something small but requires proper maintenance, Amado is fine.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had one stick, but I did have a circlip on a virtually new horn somehow spiring loose and go shooting across the room. I somehow found it on the floor, but no matter how careful I was with tweezers and a plastic bag, I could not replace it. Had to take it to a tech.

Good thing I have some backup horns.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like them.

My main horn has them. The tuning slide Amado sticks a little bit even though I oil it every time I play. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to take it apart, because I've done it before, and I find it to be difficult:

I wear safety glasses to prepare for the 50 mph cornea-lacerating clip. I even have a special plier tool for the job. I disassemble it inside a ziplock bag, but I've still lost clips somewhere in space. A real pain.

Never had a traditional water key malfunction or need servicing, despite years of total absence of any maintenance from me.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trumpets with amados and trumpets with lever water keys. Given the choice I would choose levers keys, but I buy trumpets based on how they play, not on what type of water keys they have. Once purchased, I've never bothered having an amado replaced -- I deal with them.
jlambmusic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the amado waterkeys, I have always felt that you are using the wrong gesture when emptying the spit since you are pushing the button/spring to the left which can slightly jerk the horn left. You would have to use more pressure with your fingers than you normally would with traditional waterkeys.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I replaced mine. Despite what I believe to be proper maintenance, I had one fall apart while I was warming up backstage before a performance. It is easy to make a temporary fix if anything fails on a lever water key; not so with an Amado-style key (to the best of my knowledge).

Amado keys are even easier. If the "innards" go flying, push the key all the way out and either leave it there and dump the slide, or keep a chop stick in your case to push the key back closed after you empty the key. I've only had it happen once in 45+ years of using Amado water keys. Preventive maintenance is the key...

The only time I miss a conventional water key is if I play the cornet I part on "La Mer", and my C cornet has traditional water keys for just that reason!
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Maybe it just sat in the case for too long. This is on my cornet which doesn't get played (hence oiled) regularly.

I used to get seized valves if my horns sat in the case too long. Normally a hard press would break them free so I could remove and oil them. Then I switched from Al Cass to Hetman and the issue went away.

Perhaps what you are using to oil the Amados is drying up as the Al Cass was for me and switching to a different oil that isn’t as volatile on your Amados would help.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Hetman an on the cornet.

I've got a pin coming tomorrow (none in the apartment). If that doesn't work. it's off to a tech and may get lever keys installed while I'm at it. I'm just not a DIY kind'a guy and don't ned the aggravation.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never took particularly well care for the ones on my student Getzen (other than the occasional drop of valve oil every other year or so) and they still work like a charm, even after having the horn hung on the wall for months (then again so do the valves...it is a Getzen after all). But that's about as much experience as I have with them

Hopefully you can sort out the issues with yours. In theory the lack of cork would seem like an upgrade maintenance-wise, but I can see how water keys getting jammed would get annoying really quickly.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: