• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Amado keys yes/no?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When disassembling an Amado or other such small parts from a horn, I've found it best to have the instrument on a towel that can prevent the parts from bouncing and flying.

I have horns with traditional lever water keys, Amados, and Saturns, and I much prefer the latter, since all you need to do is occasionally disassemble and clean the parts and the hole in the tubing...maybe 2-4 times a year. The spring in a Saturn will never* wear, since the normal spring action of the coil spring is only barely engaged in the normal coil spring action of moving up and down. Instead, when pressing the edge of the Saturn ring, you are merely pushing the ball bearing away from the hole (to release condensation) as the spring applies constant pressure on the ball bearing against the hole.

*Ah, you're never supposed to say/write "never" or "always..." a rule I sometimes follow.

Many don't like the look of them, since they don't have a streamlined appearance like lever keys and Amados, but maybe someone out there will yet sit in an opera pit, and during a long rest, stare at their instrument, and devise a new fixed widget, as did Denis Wedgwood, inventor of the Saturn water key. Inventions happen.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with the Amado's design arises from its overly tight tolerances and high precision that hampers its function when it gets dirty and the extreme difficulty you have removing the circlip to disassemble it. Kind of like German tanks during a Soviet winter. LOL

There exists an improved Amado with a screw closure instead of circlips, that work well.

If you own a horn with an old school Amado and do not want to go to a technician to replace it with new style or Saturn, I would suggest you do couple things:

1. Keep your horn clean by (1) swabbing and blowing out the water from your horn after each session (even using BlowDry or Spitball alcohol-soaked foam cleaning cylinders), (2) blowing a few drops of valve oil through the horn to lubricate the Amado piston from the interior and also reduce the growth of bacteria, and (3) periodically applying one drop to the back of the Amado to lubricate the spring.

2. Buy several spare circlips, because, if you ever need to disassemble an Amado, there exists a high probability that you could lose it, deform it, or even break it even if you disassemble it in a plastic bag. Like an idiot, I have done all three of these things.

Having had problems disassembling my Amados, I now take an extra minute after each playing session to keep my horn clean inside in order to keep the Amado valves working flawlessly and with the high precision its designer intended.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to get Josh Landress to replace the Amados with lever keys. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tech recommended Hetman 11. It's Rotor Oil, not Valve Oil. It comes in a bottle with the 'needle' dropper. Since converting to this, I have not had a problem.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: amado water keys=yes or no Reply with quote

A big NO! Hate them.

Butch
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are to be avoided. They stick at the worst moment possible, and you don't get the water out completely.
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
poketrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amado water key: a solution in search of a problem.
raynjtrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Thane has Amado keys. Logan Brown had recommended to me that I simply keep the horn clean (I swab it out daily) and lubricate them every time I oil the valves. I do have a small bottle with a needle tip, and I put a few drops of valve oil in that every time I need to oil the keys, so that I can place the oil drop exactly in the hole in the key; using a normal bottle of oil usually results in oil running down the slides, as the oil droplet is larger than the hole.

In about 20 months now of daily use, I've had zero problems with the Amado keys. Fingers crossed!

BTW, does anyone know a source for the special plier-like tool for removing the clips to disassemble the Amados? I'd like to have that and some spare clips in my case as insurance against the "someday" promised by Murphy's law.

Last edited by raynjtrumpet on Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Saturn. I've had them on several of my horns for years, and haven't had ANY problem with them. The only reason I haven't put them on my Benge 5X and Benge 5 flugel is I want to keep the original equipment on these vintage horns.
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynjtrumpet wrote:
BTW, does anyone know a source for the special plier-like tool for removing the clips to disassemble the Amados? I'd like to have that and some spare clips in my case as insurance against the "someday" promised by Murphy's law.

This info is from a few years ago:

Albanycountyfasteners.com sells both the HO25 c clips in stainless steel and the exact set of pliers to do the job. With a jury-rigged setup, you need three hands to avoid having parts fly around the room. With the right tool you can just stick a small Phillips screwdriver against the hole in the disk to remove the pressure and use the other hand to remove the clip. Reverse to install. And much less chance of buggering the clip itself. The prices shown are from a while ago, but the part numbers should be good.

816000-0004 HO-25SS 1/4" Internal Retaining Ring - Stainless Steel - Qty-25 1 $9.32 $9.32
1050-028 RPS-100 Internal Standard Pliers - 1/4" through 5/16" Ring Size 1 $20.84 $20.84

(Actually, the pliers are now $27.75 and the circlips are $17.75.)
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been mystified by the negativity around amado keys. I have them on some of my trumpets, and not on others. Maybe I've just been improbably lucky all these years, but they've always been just fine. No weird leaking, no corks wearing out, no springs breaking in the middle of a performance and needing to be held with an elastic until a tech fixes it, or anything of the sort. Based on the way some people talk about them here, you'd almost get the sense the makers of amado keys torture kittens for fun, or something. For me, they've always just done what they're supposed to without any fuss or drama.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them on my 1972-ish Getzen Severinsen. I like that you can empty both at the same time.

For the few times that one sticks unexpectedly I keep a universal tech tool (a paperclip) in my case to push it closed.

Kent
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynjtrumpet wrote:
I do have a small bottle with a needle tip, and I put a few drops of valve oil in that every time I need to oil the keys, so that I can place the oil drop exactly in the hole in the key; using a normal bottle of oil usually results in oil running down the slides, as the oil droplet is larger than the hole.

What hole are you putting the oil in? Hopefully not the tiny one on the flat plate held by the clip? Nothing in there but a stainless steel spring, and it won't stick or rust. The oil needs to go on the piston--you can hold the horn upside down and put a drop in the hole where the water comes out, and/or put a drop on the piston where it protrudes from the cylinder. Then work the key a few times to distribute the oil.

On my Amado-equipped horns the main tuning slide key will stick if I don't lubricate it about as often as I oil the valves. The third slide Amado never sticks, and I never oil it, because it gets enough oil from the "spit" and oil mixture it lets out.
raynjtrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty wrote:
raynjtrumpet wrote:
I do have a small bottle with a needle tip, and I put a few drops of valve oil in that every time I need to oil the keys, so that I can place the oil drop exactly in the hole in the key; using a normal bottle of oil usually results in oil running down the slides, as the oil droplet is larger than the hole.

What hole are you putting the oil in? Hopefully not the tiny one on the flat plate held by the clip? Nothing in there but a stainless steel spring, and it won't stick or rust. The oil needs to go on the piston--you can hold the horn upside down and put a drop in the hole where the water comes out, and/or put a drop on the piston where it protrudes from the cylinder. Then work the key a few times to distribute the oil.

On my Amado-equipped horns the main tuning slide key will stick if I don't lubricate it about as often as I oil the valves. The third slide Amado never sticks, and I never oil it, because it gets enough oil from the "spit" and oil mixture it lets out.

Thanks for the replies, Shifty. I am oiling the main hole, where the water comes out (with the horn upside down, of course). I always work the piston a few times immediately after oiling, to distribute some of the oil to the outside surface of the piston, but Logan had indicated to me that a drop or two of oil inside the piston was really all that was needed. I do oil both keys, and so far I've never had either of them to stick, so I can't say whether the tuning slide key is more prone to that problem.
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynjtrumpet wrote:
Thanks for the replies, Shifty. I am oiling the main hole, where the water comes out (with the horn upside down, of course). I always work the piston a few times immediately after oiling, to distribute some of the oil to the outside surface of the piston, but Logan had indicated to me that a drop or two of oil inside the piston was really all that was needed. I do oil both keys, and so far I've never had either of them to stick, so I can't say whether the tuning slide key is more prone to that problem.

Sounds good. I didn't mean to question your intelligence but, from your description of the hole size, I had to ask. šŸ˜Ž

I think sticky Amados is a result of body chemistry. My saliva acts like library paste; I have to clean the dried stuff off the rim of my mouthpiece after every session. The same gunk collects on the piston of the main-slide Amado if it isn't protected by oil. And that's the gunk I clean out if I have to disassemble the key, which is less frequently now with regular oiling.

With my baritone and flugelhorn, where the leadpipe is short and goes directly into the first valve, I collect dried gunk there too.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty wrote:
What hole are you putting the oil in? Hopefully not the tiny one on the flat plate held by the clip? Nothing in there but a stainless steel spring, and it won't stick or rust. (and the casing the piston rides on as well as the base of the piston itself) The oil needs to go on the piston--you can hold the horn upside down and put a drop in the hole where the water comes out, and/or put a drop on the piston where it protrudes from the cylinder. Then work the key a few times to distribute the oil.

šŸ§

Is putting oil in the drain hole, where it not only mixes with any existing moisture and has a minor amount of the pistonā€™s surface area exposed and then has to migrate against gravity, better than putting it into a cavity where the complete perimeter of the piston, the base of the piston, and a significant portion of the casing are easily available to the oil?

Plus if you use the air relief hole and a needle it is less likely the oil will drip.

It sure sounds like the air relief hole is the better option to me. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "air relief hole" provides access to the spring and the inside of the piston. Nothing there to stick. I suppose if you added enough oil, it could spill over onto the outside piston surface, but not a very effective way to go. Adding a drop of oil to the protruding end of the piston seems a much more effective means of lubrication if you're worried about about the mixture that exists at the exhaust port.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty wrote:
The "air relief hole" provides access to the spring and the inside of the piston. Nothing there to stick. I suppose if you added enough oil, it could spill over onto the outside piston surface, but not a very effective way to go. Adding a drop of oil to the protruding end of the piston seems a much more effective means of lubrication if you're worried about about the mixture that exists at the exhaust port.

I must be missing something.

Doesnā€™t the piston move back and forth, much like the piston in trumpet valves? In its normal/closed state the spring pushes against the threaded plate with the ā€œair relief holeā€ and against the piston base opposite.

Hence there must be exposed casing where the piston travels to when pressed. Some of the oil squirted in when the Amado barrel and piston are horizontal and the assembly is in the closed state is bound to end up on the casing. It will then migrate to the outer surface of the piston, just as it would if applied to the button portion. Probably even more effectively due to the shoulder where button transitions to the piston diameter.

Just as the oil must migrate if put onto the small diameter exposed portion of the piston by the exhaust port.

I, and I am sure many others, have used the ā€œair relief holeā€ on the bottom of the trumpet valves to do a quick refresh of the oil on the valves. Other than the risk of disturbing the grime in the base of the casing and hence onto the piston this works pretty well.

Sorry to beat this dead horse I just donā€™t think this is as big an issue as I understand you to think it is.

NEW POINT

I wonder if some Amado tolerances are looser and the tops of the Amado pistons are oil starved and thus dry out faster. It might explain some of the differing experiences.
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Doesnā€™t the piston move back and forth, much like the piston in trumpet valves? In its normal/closed state the spring pushes against the threaded plate with the ā€œair relief holeā€ and against the piston base opposite.

Hence there must be exposed casing where the piston travels to when pressed. Some of the oil squirted in when the Amado barrel and piston are horizontal and the assembly is in the closed state is bound to end up on the casing. It will then migrate to the outer surface of the piston, just as it would if applied to the button portion. Probably even more effectively due to the shoulder where button transitions to the piston diameter.

Just as the oil must migrate if put onto the small diameter exposed portion of the piston by the exhaust port.

I, and I am sure many others, have used the ā€œair relief holeā€ on the bottom of the trumpet valves to do a quick refresh of the oil on the valves. Other than the risk of disturbing the grime in the base of the casing and hence onto the piston this works pretty well.

Sorry to beat this dead horse I just donā€™t think this is as big an issue as I understand you to think it is.

Well, if it works for you...

However, it would seem you'd need a bottle with a fine needle tip just to get the oil to actually go inside the barrel; when I try it with a regular bottle most of it just sits on the plate rather than entering the hole. Not an issue with the other access points. With the piston in the closed position, oiling through the exhaust port accesses the body of the piston directly, and seems more effective. Then using the button end gets to the rest of the piston.

Refreshing the valves through the bottom holes sounds like a horrible idea; but then again, because it sounds horrible, I've never tried it. šŸ˜Æ
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Well, if it works for you...

However, it would seem you'd need a bottle with a fine needle tip just to get the oil to actually go inside the barrel; when I try it with a regular bottle most of it just sits on the plate rather than entering the hole. Not an issue with the other access points. With the piston in the closed position, oiling through the exhaust port accesses the body of the piston directly, and seems more effective. Then using the button end gets to the rest of the piston.

Refreshing the valves through the bottom holes sounds like a horrible idea; but then again, because it sounds horrible, I've never tried it. šŸ˜Æ

Moving the piston while oiling. Something I missed.

I did mention using the needle. But I do admit my posts were rather, ahem, long winded.

I havenā€™t used the oil in the bottom of the valve in a really long time. Since switching to a less volatile oil and always oiling before a session I hardly ever need to oil quickly anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: