• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When u no longer have much interest in trying something new

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: When u no longer have much interest in trying something new Reply with quote

Hi all

I've got to the stage where I'm really happy with my current instruments to the point that I'm not really interested in trying something new or different, and I'm wondering whether anyone else feels the same.

I've always been a cornet player at heart, and do all my home practise on cornet, even though I probably play trumpet more out, and I've always said that it will take something special in a trumpet to make me pick it up over the cornet, or at least be equally happy playing it.

I found my special to me trumpet around 7/8 years ago. It is something pretty standard, and I was lukewarm about it until I dialled in the mouthpiece gap (decreased it) with sleeves, but once I'd dialled in the mouthpiece gap, and the trumpet opened up in both response and sound, I'd found my trumpet.

Like I said it is something pretty standard, a Yamaha YTR-8335 Xeno II. I really like my sound on this trumpet, and it plays really well with a great response. It is so easy to play very quietly, and can be played pretty loud without the sound spreading or breaking up. Maybe the 9 series Yamaha's are better, but if they are, I'm not sure how much better they can possibly be, as the 8335 Xeno II is already very good in my opinion. There isn't anything I can really find wrong with it, so I see absolutely no point in considering changing it. There presumably are better trumpets out there, but I imagine that my Xeno II is enough trumpet for even the most discerning of players, and when it comes down to it, it is the player not the trumpet, as long as the trumpet has a decent sound and plays well.

I feel the same about my new to me Yamaha YCR-8335 Neo cornet and Bach 183 flugel. Both play really well, with playing characteristics I like, and give me the sound I'm after on them.

I think that when you are really happy with your horns, that looking for something better, is either looking for the holy grail, or just something different. Probably the Xeno II works so well for me, as I'm looking for an all-around trumpet, as I play in a variety of styles and settings. I imagine that if I played in just one setting/style, I'd maybe want something more tailored to that setting/style.

My Neo cornet is very brass band orientated, but I primarily play cornet in a brass band, so that is what I was looking for.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your analysis, and your choice.

But there is nothing wrong with seeking something better, unless the process and expense (not just money) cause problems themselves.

At some point, equipment that lacks 'something special' or that inhibits a player's ability can be a real issue, but that's a rare situation for most people.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've got to the stage where I'm really happy with my current instruments to the point that I'm not really interested in trying something new or different, and I'm wondering whether anyone else feels the same.

That would be a no. Every time I think I'm there, I realize that there's something about the choice I would change. Many times that means reaching for another horn from the supply I already have and plugging in a different mouthpiece. The good news is that I have so many of each, the combinations sort of satisfy my desire to try something new. But the desire is still there.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I am not by any means a professional or great player. However, I do really like trying different horns to see how different design elements and features affect how the horn plays. From 2004 to about 2010 I probably bought and sold over 100 different trumpets. I enjoyed it and learned a lot about my preferences along the way. Here lately I have grown the herd again from 2 Bb to 4 Bb trumpets and need to trim it back to only two. My current horns I really enjoy playing are Wild Thing, Shires Doc Severensen, Schilke B6, and a King Silver Flair from early 1970.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been 100% satisfied with my Thane Performance, but I still like to try different horns. If anything, it serves as a reminder of how much better my Thane plays than anything else I’ve ever held.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your very interesting responses. Regarding my Xeno II, I imagine that something more specific would be better for someone who predominantly plays in one style. For example, I would have thought that the Xeno with its heavier weight bell and double braced tuning slide, may not be the first choice for big band lead trumpet playing, but for someone who plays in a variety of styles and requires a general purpose trumpet, I can’t see it holding anyone back.

The Yamaha Neo cornet is probably a bit brass band specific for someone who doesn’t want a cornet that is primarily designed for British brass band cornet playing, but it suits me, as that is what I wanted it for.

It is very interesting that others are more interested in trying things than I am now.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly happy with my current horns but I do miss all the Monette horns I have owned in the past and since I have 2 good cars now 🤣🤣 I have decided to purchase another Monette but this time I am buying it new from the factory. All my previous Monette horns were used. I look forward to having another Monette trumpet and hopefully it will be the last Bb I will ever need.
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper - Raw
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that trying out various horns "for fun" isn't a bad thing at all. You will either discover something new that you indeed like better ... or ... you will be even more satisfied with the choices that you have made. I love Schilke Trumpets; however, wouldn't have gotten here unless I was willing to try various equipment. Bottom line; whatever makes you happy.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My existing equipment works just fine and is adequate for any occasion. But that doesn't stop me, an unrepentant trumpet geek gearhead, from looking at new horns and dreaming about how cool my current collection would look with added or replacement gear. What does stop me, however, is there is no room in the household budget at this time for me to buy more horns or mouthpieces. A happy marriage is more important to me than more trumpet stuff. But if I ever write that best-seller...
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces

Last edited by spitvalve on Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: When u no longer have much interest in trying something Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

Yes, I kinda do. At some point there's a click between the player and the instrument, and that kinda ends the search I guess. My Olds Recording is a joy to play, and like you I find it can do all that I can master, and then some. And while I have on occasion tried a different horn, none of them would be a viable replacement, let alone an improvement. And since I'm not into collecting for the sake of having stuff, there's really no point in seeking out other horns. Though the fun of trying different instruments if the opportunity arises remains, the desire to own them is gone.

Funny coincidence: I had the opportunity to try a flugelhorn the other day...a Shagerl Morrison I think. It was a wonderful horn, amazing tone and great projection...definitely not at all similar to my own flugelhorn, and in many ways a more 'proper' flugelhorn than the one I play. Most would say it'd be an upgrade, and yet as great as the instrument was, I prefer playing mine. Probably (partly) emotional attachment, but it's more than that though I can't really explain.

It's a weird feeling indeed to not be 'wanting' or 'seeking'. There's something about the chase that's fulfilling in its own right I guess.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy with my new Bach 19072G, but I don't think I'll ever not want to try new horns. There are still horns I need to get like a C trumpet, Cornet, Flugel, maybe a piccoloand a bass. There are also other Bb horns I still want or really want to try. I want to add a Martin Bohme to my collection, Selmer K modified, some more Bach horns like NY and Mt Vernon.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise, this topic has me thinking and it occurred to me that my thoughts on trumpets are completely opposite to my thoughts on golf gear. Like I already said, I love trying anything I can in the trumpet world. However, after going through a few golf drivers in the last few years, I can relate to your thoughts/feelings in regards to trumpets.

I used to love trying different golf clubs, especially drivers, but after getting my Ping G425 driver, I have no desire to take any swings with other drivers. In the last few months there have been demo days at my golf club and I had no desire to try the latest and greatest drivers from Titleist, Callaway, or Ping.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often think about good horns I punted because I couldn’t make them sound the way I wanted and how they might sound now that I have elevated my skills.

An example is a Conn Victor 22B with Pilczuyk leadpipe I sold a few years ago. I recently spotted it for sale on Reverb and bought it. Wow! It’s now one of my favorite Bb’s.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
Louise, this topic has me thinking and it occurred to me that my thoughts on trumpets are completely opposite to my thoughts on golf gear. Like I already said, I love trying anything I can in the trumpet world. However, after going through a few golf drivers in the last few years, I can relate to your thoughts/feelings in regards to trumpets.

I used to love trying different golf clubs, especially drivers, but after getting my Ping G425 driver, I have no desire to take any swings with other drivers. In the last few months there have been demo days at my golf club and I had no desire to try the latest and greatest drivers from Titleist, Callaway, or Ping.

Hi Larry

Yes, that is the point I’m making. Being really happy with your current equipment, can suspend the desire to experiment further. I really like how I sound on my Xeno II, and I really like how it plays too. Having worked well for me for 7 or 8 years in all my playing settings, I’m don’t feel that there is any reason to consider changing it. This suspends my desire to try something different.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Louise - I used to be a real gearhead, and bought and sold lots of horns. I always wanted to try a Kanstul Chicago 1001, and got the chance to get one, at almost the same time a local music shop sold a NOS Kanstul 700 at a price I couldn't pass up.

I didn't know it at the time, but those two horns stopped my trumpet safari...between them, they do everything I need, and I love both of them in different ways.

As for cornet (used for Brass Bands), the Olds Ambassador A6 is just wonderful so I have no desire to change.

You note from my sig that I do have other horns, but TBH they rarely come out of the case...

I was recently in my local capital city (I live about 120km from Melbourne Australia) and went to Ozwinds, who are probably the best trumpet dealer in town, and tried an Olds CHR, a Besson 10-10, a Yamaha Chicago series II, a Yamaha Miyashiro, and a Bach 43 with reverse leadpipe. They were all good horns, but I did not feel the need to part with my hard-earned, which I would have before I got my brace of Kanstuls. Perhaps it's because I'm older and more sensible (unlikely), but I think I have found the horns that work for me.

Shame Kanstul is no more...

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an inveterate collector and sampler, I can totally relate. There are two horns that I cannot part with: My NY Bach, and my wartime Olds Super. My '28 King is a close third and gets a lot of mileage, and even with its age has better intonation than anything I play.

Well, then there's the Committee, but I digress.

When you lock into something that works, it beats shopping.

ed
70 Bach 37
73 Bach 43
32 Olds Std
42 Olds Super
54 Olds Rcdg
52 Selmer 24A
30 Holton 48 Lleyw
37 Conn 12B
23 Conn 22B
28 King Lib
46 Conn 80A crnt
1960 & 1868 Besson Flugs
60 King 2B bone
jlambmusic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "hybrid" horns have kept me interested for the past year or so. I have had the chance to finally try an Osmun Corumpet last year and I have also played a Puje trumpet. Very fun instruments and can be quite versatile if you use them as your main horn.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m about to come full circle these days, so can relate to Louise quite a bit. When I started I had one trumpet and one mouthpiece and played that combo for over a decade for everything.

Then switched to a more aggressive mouthpiece and bought my Bach in the signature. Played that combo for 20 years.

Then got tenure and for the first time in my life had some disposable income. Went on a bit of a mouthpiece safari - Monette, GR, Warburton, Lotus, … - and finally landed on AR after ca. 5 years. Also bought the rotary because I always wanted a rotary (and love it, wonderful instrument).

On the way I also bought a few trumpets because I wanted to “try out some cool horns” but really found they are not adding much to my capabilities and in some cases even fit me less good than those I had.

So, after time, I sold all of them again and really am down to those in the list plus a few that need a cleanup before I dare selling them. There are very few instruments I’d like to try at the moment - Selmer Radial, Olds Special, Conn 6B - and there are really only two trumpets I have played where I thought, wow, that would be an improvement over the Bach: a Martin Schmidt piston horn and the X-13.

Long winded post, sorry, but nowadays I really like the idea (again) of taking one horn and one mouthpiece. Sort of the plug and play approach, I guess. One combination for orchestra, one for big band and commercial stuff, and then the C and the flugel. Rarely play the cornet and been thinking about selling that one, too.

One thing I am still interested is tinkering with some details. My flugel needs water keys on 1 and 3, the trigger is at the wrong location, that kind of stuff.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p76 wrote:
Good post Louise

Thank you very much.

- I used to be a real gearhead, and bought and sold lots of horns. I always wanted to try a Kanstul Chicago 1001, and got the chance to get one, at almost the same time a local music shop sold a NOS Kanstul 700 at a price I couldn't pass up.

I didn't know it at the time, but those two horns stopped my trumpet safari...between them, they do everything I need, and I love both of them in different ways.

As for cornet (used for Brass Bands), the Olds Ambassador A6 is just wonderful so I have no desire to change.

You note from my sig that I do have other horns, but TBH they rarely come out of the case...

I can relate to this completely.

I was recently in my local capital city (I live about 120km from Melbourne Australia) and went to Ozwinds, who are probably the best trumpet dealer in town, and tried an Olds CHR, a Besson 10-10, a Yamaha Chicago series II, a Yamaha Miyashiro, and a Bach 43 with reverse leadpipe. They were all good horns, but I did not feel the need to part with my hard-earned, which I would have before I got my brace of Kanstuls. Perhaps it's because I'm older and more sensible (unlikely), but I think I have found the horns that work for me.

I think that finding the horns that work for you is the crux of the situation.

Shame Kanstul is no more...

Yes, definitely

Cheers,
Roger

Take care and best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Louise! I haven't seen a post from you in ages. I hope you are well.

To answer your question, Yes, no, sort of, yes.

Yes - When I started my comeback around 2005, nothing but my Benge 5X interested me. It was the greatest trumpet on the planet and I knew it. Then, it started giving me valve trouble and I began to spend time at the Kanstul showroom. Eventually, I had to admit that there were better trumpets on the planet.

No - Enter Flip Oakes. In 2009, I was introduced to the Wild Thing trumpet. It staggered me! People here get tired of me writing about it, so I'll just admit one goofy truth about owning and playing it: I always wanted to find a different trumpet. It was never about the sound, the incredible way it plays or any of the real attributes that count. I wanted my Wild Thing to look like a Benge, instead of a Bach. That's it. Stupid, right? But I've got this aesthetic magnet in me that pulls hard when something I think is attractive happens by. I've never thought the WT is particularly beautiful.

Sort of - Fast forward to my time in Arizona. I stopped playing anywhere but my bedroom for most of the past 12 years, up until the past two when I joined a local Community Concert Band. Since joining, I have struggled to feel comfortable in that trumpet section playing my horn. The tone is great, though a little brighter than I'd like, but the sound is too big. We have a bunch of trumpet players of different skill levels and it is hard to get down to dynamic levels that balance with them, at least that's how I perceive it. I've spent three semesters trying once again to tame my horn. Rather, I've worked to be able to play accurately and consistently at much lower volume levels than even what I use in my bedroom.

One day, I had some time and was in the neighborhood, so I stopped at Milano Music in Mesa, AZ and played the Shires CVLA-L. Dang! It slotted better than any trumpet I'd ever played, to be honest. That meant that I could see myself playing through my entire usable range at really low dynamics and not lose accuracy. Why "Dang!?" Because, I cannot afford to buy another trumpet and I will never sell my Wild Thing voluntarily while I'm alive.

Yes - I made a trip back to Southern California this past April and took time to visit Flip and Joyce Oakes while there. I love to spend time with Flip in his shop doing trumpet stuff, so I made sure to take some of the day to catch up there. Flip handed me a little brass disc with a hole in it and told me to try putting that in the bottom cap of my flugelhorn's first valve. When I got back home, I did, but I tried it in the trumpet first. BAM! Slotting and response like that Shires! Holy cow! I used it for the final concert last Spring.

With the timbre (and beauty!) of my new-spec copper WT, the versatility of multiple tuning slides that significantly alter how the horn plays, with the new-found improved slotting and accuracy, I am satisfied.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: