• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Callet Jazz

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I happened to be over at Lee Adams house when a guy came by to pick up his new Callet Jazz that Lee had Gold Plated for him. First of all the Goldplating made the horn look absolutely beautiful. Second of all the Jazz played spectacularily. I hadn't brought my mouthpiece with me so I borrowed a prototype mpc that Lee is developing. It is much smaller diameter then I normally play but with a cup that has some depth to it. I was surprised l that I had no problems playing the smaller size and getting a nice sound. He has come up with a mouthpiece that has the right rim angle, bite and depth that allows me to feel comfortable on a smaller mouthpiece (I normally play a 3C). I can't wait until he gets them into production.

Also, Lee is really working to keep the quality of the Callet horns at the highest level. He is definitely succeeding.

Mike
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great horns. Great horns indeed!! You are one of the few that has found himself the "Holy Grail" of mouthpieces. Congrats. Whenever you can, could you please share the size/ model of the mouthpiece?

I still love my Laskey's!
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend Jeff Perkins is a pro player. He has mentioned using a smaller diameter cup that is also deeper. I might be interested in looking at something like that too!

Are you familiar with a CG3 mouthpiece? If so, how does this compare?

TIm
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I think the Jazz is truly one of the greatest horns ever made, very possibly the greatest. I've now depleted my pretty extensive colletion of Bbs to just two: a Callet Jazz and a Callet Stratosphere. Both are wonderful with a great centered tone, excellent focus, and superb intonation all up and down the range. Recently, Jerry Callet told me that he thinks the horns Lee is offering are as good or better than ever! Though I haven't sampled Lee's new valve treatment yet, I'd like to. It's probably the perfect finishing touch to an already superior instrument. You can't go wrong with a Jazz - everyone should have one! Best regards, Kyle
Bruce Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Jerry Callet's statement, to Kyle, that the Callet trumpets which are now being produced are as good, or better, than the previous models. Lee Adams' valve "treatment" does help to negate the standard break-in period, especially with Kanstul valves.

The Stratosphere model is a very nice consideration for anyone that is used to playing a ML bore trumpet, who might find that the Jazz model requires more energy... despite its great projection and slotting capabilities. The Stratosphere has the same qualities, yet it is a bit more efficient for the average player, because of the ML bore size.

Lee had a Jazz model at the Mobile, Alabama, Trumpetfest, to which he had added goldplated accents. It was a very nice looking horn!

As for the mouthpiece... very nice, BUT... I like mine better! It would be a very nice alternative for someone who likes a slightly softer bite. Mike... you NEED one!

Best always,
Bruce
brad333
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Jazz for the first time a few weeks ago. The horn was amazing. Way more overtones than I'm used to and I played the fattest high F I've ever had in my life(my range isn't great but it's increasing .

I didn't realize they're still making Callet horns. Did he sell the rights to someone else like Schilke to Naumann? I'm going to go google it and see what I can find but if someone wants to post a URL that'd be fine too.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that using a natural oil(which I finally found) helps (significantly) with the sticky valves.

And.....I would still like to try one in Laquer. I don't know if one was ever produced in Laquer(off course Superchops models were)
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Callet retired or at least semi-retired. Lee Adams has got the rights to manufacture and sell the Callet line. Jerry's websites are still active and if you contact him he will refer you to Lee. Lee's website is: http://www.trumpetchops.com/

Lee is also one of the most knowlegable people I have met concerning embouchure, Trumpet Construction and many other aspects of trumpet playing. It was good to see that he was able to keep the Callet Tradition for great horns alive.

Mike
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the horn still being manufactured by Kanstul? I have only played two different Jazz models, but liked each one of them.

Mike
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself am wondering about that as well? Will a new version of the Jazz model be manufactured in the future? Does anyone know? It's too great of a horn not to.

Maybe Yamaha will try and copy that design also and mass produce it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will a new version of the Jazz be manufactured in the future? I have not heard anything about it so right now I would say no. The Jazz is a different animal that most any other horn on the market today as to my knowledge it employs the only true conical bore. When you have a good product it isn't necesary to change it to keep it up to date. These are great horns.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hearing over and over.....that my wonderful Jazz and Symphonique C horns "take too much effort...because of the large bore" and this too, was my concern until Jerry "made me an offer on a "slightly used" new Jazz Expand-a-bore-.470 bore.
Not only I was surprised just to find just the opposite. In fact...I'D THOUGHT I'D DIED AND GONE TO HEAVEN.
I remember clearly that I received that horn by prepaid UPS on a Friday.

Jerry said for me to work with the horn for a few weeks...and if I liked it, just send him $1300.00. (He even included a really amazing (duel-cup) Vari-cup 7 at no extra cost. I also ordered at the same time a Vari-cup 3vs (simply from old habits) of using a Warburton 4 Vsf.

After about 5 minutes.....I went to the bank and pulled the $$$out of savings and sent it off that next Monday. It was truly my Lucky Day...LIKE WINNING A LOTTO.
This used horn looked as good or better than brand new...no a smudge, scratch- or a nerd, A gold wash inner bell, with gold valve buttons to match and the smoothest and deepest luster to the silver plate, Gads what a beauty...I was really paranoid' as hell for a long time after that.

Honestly and many of you who have heard me play....know that I am far and away, "not the man or player that I used to be I have always prefered rather large bore instruments.
Again to my pleasant surprise both my horns stay in pitch and play the upper register so much easier...but best of all...Both my Callet project and although many of my Bach-a-holic friends still claim that the sound of both these horns....are to bright? REALLY??? I take some issue with this...as a lot depends on the mouthpiece of choice. With my Warburton and my Callet Vari-cups....the horns voicing when played at high volumes...DOES NOT GO BRASSY AND OVERLY BRIGHT! REGAL YES! BUT NOT BRASSY OR OVERLY BRIGHT.
Although...I received the first Callet on a Friday night, I felt such confidence that I used it on my church gigs...that same Sunday. The director said WOW! DON...YOUR SOUND TODAY WAS SO MUCH BETTER. I too was equally amazed that I received so many compliments on that solo..and also how much better I sounded. My little pinchy upper register...just seemed POP!

Its been over 6 years...and in truth, the Callet honeymoon has yet to wear off.
However the only issues that I had at first...was the really fine threads on the valve caps and the valve springs...too SOOO MUCH PRESSURE that I went against both Callet and Oberloh and had Dave put in lighter springs, which helped a bit...but alll of a sudden, my valves were beginning to stick and become sluggish. My notching and cadenza's were starting to get "muddied and sluffy. I went back to http://www.oberloh.com and Dave carefully stretched the new springs and clean the valves with a solvent and swabbed and buffed out the bore of the casings....sold me some new Yamaha oil...and gave me a test bottle of Clarks Viper Oil that both contained a cleaner additive.
Before long...my valves on the Callet were again better than ever. Try the new Premium Yamaha oil, but do clean carefully and prep-sol the valves first.

Also the amano water valves take a little getting used to as by habit, I thought I needed to BLOW HARD to release the condensation, but Jerome just laughed and said just hold the horn at the right angle and mearly give a a couple of brisk little shakes. (the water came flowin' out ever soooo easily from that point on.
The last problem that I had with the valves...(The valve guide slots are not in the same position as on my other horns, and at first, I went through a learning curve to find the slot positions...with out fiddlin' and diddlin' around.

Cosmetically the Gold wash inner bell has always been kind of a pain to keep staining and streaking...The gold has also worn off the valve caps...but the horn other wise still looks FANTASTIC.

The Callet mouthpieces...(like Monette) were made from really soft-dense slugs that not only dinged, and scratched easily. Also being really soft, the silver plate was very very thin...(on purpose) and wore off easily. I have had Jerry replate both my Callet mps. numerous times in the past. Jerry always rushed them back to me and replated them at a very reasonable cost of only $20.00. Best of all they came back...looking like brand new again.
Jerry gave me volumes of great advice...listened to my pains and stupid questions on his old 1-800 JCHORN phone number. With IDOTS like me...I don't know why he put up with the all the crappola...
Jerome to me...WILL AND ALWAY BE A SAINT and a dear dear friend.

We are all so lucky and better off knowing such a giving and caring humanbeing.

Does this sound like an add. No! just my deepest appreciation for being there for all of us...wanna be's.
Mikester
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great posts here about the Jazz. Mine was from Jerry's last batch, but sold to me from Lee. Lee gave the valves his "treatment". Have owned at several horns with Kanstul valves, including 2 other Callets. These Kanstul valves are the best ones I have owned. They have not gotten sticky or sluggish in 1.5 years of owning it.

Also, I am a big fan of gold horns. Mine is in the weight of what Lee classifies as a light-weight Jazz. Jerry tells me to leave it silver. But, I am always tempted.

As for the Callet sound, just try being the listener.
Many of us have stories like Don's about when we switch to Callet horns. People notice.

Mike

http://www.bigbandofpraise.com

[ This Message was edited by: Mikester on 2004-01-22 21:02 ]
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horns are still being manufactured by Kanstul. I don't think Lee has any immediate plans to change or update the jazz. I think that the Jazz is still ahead of the curve. Plus when you get it right you don't need to make changes. The Stratosphere was Jerry's answer to accomodatng players who like a smaller bore horn. It definitely is a nice horn as well. Though, I think the jazz is still the best Callet horn.

Mike
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jazz definitely works you are right. If it ain't broke, don't break it. If I ever get ahold of a couple extra dollars, I may try and acquire another one. They are worth holding on to.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pile on with BadBoy in saying that the Jazz does NOT play like a large bore. Because of the Expandabore design it feels more like an open, resonant ml to me, or at most a small "large" bore, like .462" vs. .470". Still, many players will benefit from a mouthpiece with one size smaller backbore or throat. I see people try to use their 1 1/2Cs on every horn and that ain't gonna work for most!

Listen to the sound of the trumpet/mouthpiece system and feel the blow of the trumpet/mouthpiece system. It's a big, but common, mistake to take a single mouthpiece and try to plug it into every horn you audition. When you do this you limit your choices. My mpcs are a little tighter than average now because my main horn is relatively large, BUT I keep a 3C around for playing Bach 37s and Yamaha Xenos because those horns will feel too tight with my tighter mpcs. It wouldn't be fair for me to review a 8335RGS and declare it "stuffy" when I was using my GR66S. Just 2-cents worth...

Dave
gus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody tried the now defunct Superchops????.

It is a horn that really intrigued me, and never had a chance
to try it.

The think that really surprise me is that is a heavy bell and
receiver. Anybody tried it?.

GUs
Bruce Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-01-23 09:16, gus wrote:
Does anybody tried the now defunct Superchops????.

It is a horn that really intrigued me, and never had a chance
to try it.

The think that really surprise me is that is a heavy bell and
receiver. Anybody tried it?.

GUs

Gus,

The Superchops model is a really great Lead horn. I owned 3 or 4 of them. The major "problem" with the Superchops was the feedback behind the horn. It projects extremely well, almost to a fault... because you could literally bury an entire ensemble with one. It is a .464 bore, which had some resistance, because of the heavy bell, but at the same time you had flexibility in terms of the size of the slot. A Lead player "needs" to get the note out, and having a little more "wiggle room" helped. Some of the last Superchops trumpets had Jerry's latest "tweak" on them, and the feedback behind the horn was definitely improved.

The new Stratosphere, by comparison is a very good replacement for the Superchops. The bore size is not that much smaller, at .460. In fact, there was a .460 bore Superchops, but it didn't have the popularity of the larger .464 bore. Behind the horn "feedback" is great, and the slotting/projection qualities of the Callet trumpets remains intact. It is described as having a much more "nimble" feel, in comparison with the Jazz model.

Best always,
Bruce
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the Callet Jazz in essence is like a large bore Vindabona?

not MLV .... but just LV? Same concept anyway?
gus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce for your comments.

My inquiries were based on the fact that the Superchops were
made in heavy config.. I ussually play legit, not lead -even though I
have pretty nice range-, but I don't like much the Bb Strads - I have
one-, even though I like the Cs.

Please bear in mind that I started to play in rotaries that have less
bore and are conical and that's the reason why I'm looking for
something that gives me the same feeling. To describe it in
a methaphorical way is like to blow and have an immediate
response.

THanks for your patience.

Gus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: