• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Callet Jazz

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fast Freddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<~ Very happy Jazz owner. What more can be said than has been said already.

Every person who's played my horn does the same thing. They play a few notes, take the horn off their chops and sit there and stare at it for a while in amazement. Especially a player who can really push the horn in the upper register. Has to be the best slotting, most nimble horn I've ever played in the altissimo, especially beyond G4.

Great Jazz horn but also a horn that can work in other settings with some changes in the mouthpiece. dcstep's advice on the mouthpiece change-up is right on target. If you try one of these horns, you'll likely need to make an adjustment in your mouthpiece to truly appreciate it.

Take care.
nowherenearadoublec
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Jazz and a 460 and 464 Superchops. The Jazz is THE best allround horn I have ever played. The Superchops are great when you learn to listen "out". As Bruce said the feedback is so different. I am playing a Lawler just now and will soon have a TL5r but I will NEVER sell any of my Callets. They are incredible horns. I do not have a bad word to say about any of them. Love the Jazz flugel too!
Alan
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread, but certainly worth revisiting.

I've had two Callet Jazz Trumpets, and they are really amazing horns. I recently ran across a site that gives some very interesting details about the Jazz (and several other Callet horns as well): https://www.callettrumpets.com/previous_models.htm

Here are their details on the Jazz... "The most renowned and popular of Jerry's trumpets... the Jazz has been used in jazz, rock, latin, and classical ensembles around the world. It's easily identified by large script "Jazz" on the left side of the bell. Utilizing an exclusive "expandabore" design, the reverse leadpipe started with a .353 bore at the end of the receiver then gradually expanded to .450 at the beginning of the tuning slide and continued to .460 at the tapered tuning crook. The gradual expansion continued around the curve of the tuning slide to its final size of .470 entering the 3rd piston. This true conical bore responds like a small bore trumpet while retaining the volume and projection for which Callet trumpets are famous. The initial Jazz bell was a Benge clone but with a larger throat for more power. Jerry custom shaped it to increase the solid core and focus of the sound while pulling each tone into excellent pitch center in all registers, even the top, top end. The conical cornet-styled bore provides a warmer and darker sound than the Soloist that preceded it. Early models of the Jazz used a conventional 3rd valve slide and a gold wash on the inside of the 4 7/8" bell (pics on right). Later models were silver throughout and added an underslung 3rd valve slide. Used models have been selling in the $1050-1400 range, depending on condition."

And while I'm no pro player, the following YouTube vid may be worth watching for some additional thoughts on the Jazz. It's really a super horn.

Link

Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: