• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BE not-yet-success!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my thoughts:
This is not to comment on BE specifically, but whatever method ar approach you take, it does end up between the player and the horn.
It is a matter of assimilation of the concepts. Our minds (especially adult minds) will play tricks on us, and even if you get it intellectually, it is as Bruce Lee said, the balance of all elements that we strive for. I've had teachers say things to me that i didn't really "get" for years. But you've got to work it out with your axe. And you can't get hung up 'thinking'
My experience is that when you are playing correctly, you are not fighting the instrument. As long as you do, you will lose.
One of the important Caruso concepts for me is the 'starting point'. Your sound/range etc is not good or bad, it is what it is.

I have been around TH long enough to form an opinion. I have read a lot of Bruce's posts. These comments are for Bruce. I think you might be a happier guy if you could play better. I'm guessing it's partly why you do come across with such a negative attitude. You and I have had many exchanges via PM and yet you jumped on Alex's bandwagon in trashing me on TM, for what reason??. The part of me talking to you right now is the "private teacher who loves a challenge" as well as a THer who would like to see more positive posting and less instigating.
One of the things that maybe you should do is change your approach from "trying to play' and just play. Instead of focusing on the things you can't do, work with what you can do (where you are not fighting the horn) and get some consistancy in that. Regardless if you have limitations with sound quality, range, endurance, nevertheless, if you can play one note for 10 seconds, then you have a starting point. get comfortable where you are, and go from there. You can't progress unless you have some consistancy in your playing.
There have been other very good comments here, and one is that the time spent on Jeff's exercises - Caruso - whatever it is is just a small protion of total trumpet time. There is a time for isolating certain aspects of you playing, but then you have to just play.
Can you play at all Bruce? do you know any tunes? I mean is there any part of it that gives you joy? I can sort of play "the bare necessities' on trombone and I suck but it is fun. If you aren't having any fun and if it is a continual source of fruastration, I say why bother. Sell your horns and go golfing or something.
I wish you the best.

PC King
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: