• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

West Side Story trumpet 2 part in reduced orchestration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobby_trumpet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: West Side Story trumpet 2 part in reduced orchestration Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I'm playing 2nd trumpet for a run of West Side with the reduced orchestration; I have been looking at the trumpet 2 part but from the full orchestration, and I'm wondering how different the part in the reduced orchestration is (as I don't have music yet and I'm not sure when I'll get it).

Thank you in advance!
Bobby
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played 1st trumpet on the WSS world tour in 2016-2017.

the 2nd trumpet part has all the solos including "mambo".
it's a pretty involved, but fun part!
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agolden is correct, except when I did a 3 week run a few summers back, I was the trumpet and had to cover both parts. I had to do the same a couple summers before that on Guys and Dolls. That was really tough, as anyone who has played the show could tell you.

WSS is great stuff. Enjoy it. All the best!
bobby_trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Wow, covering both trumpet parts sounds tough...
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first time playing WSS was in 1975. Played the 2nd book. Full orchestra. Borrowed a Schilke "D" from my teacher to cover the "D" parts. That was before I started playing picc.

Played hundreds of performances since of varying orchestrations, reductions and pit sizes. That would include several where I was the only trumpet & covered all 3 books.

One was playing the first reduction from 3 to 2...and again I was the only trumpet. Because the pit was piano, bass, drums and moi that meant I also got to play assorted reed & string cues. I LOVED it!

And a national tour where again I was the only trumpet, playing a frankenbook of the 3 books plus other stuff thrown in. That was an 11-piece pit.

However, I have not yet played a very recent reorchestration (3 separate books now) where I understand all of the 2nd trumpet heat has been moved into the 1st book.

Everyone always gets glazed-over eyes when they hear they get to play WSS. Yes, IMO it's still the most challenging book to play and play musically. But it ain't impossible. And there are books that...again IMO...are much more demanding and harder.

What I'm getting at is don't let your mind mess with your mind. Open the book and simply play the damn thing from the first downbeat to the final cut-off.

Once your brain gets in the way of playing your horn - call a sub.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146154&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: