• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Searching Opinions On Amati Horns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ebayscrounger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Amati has been around a long time. How are their horns? I know they have to be at least a couple of cuts above the India horns. Anyone have any Amati experience? This one looks interesting:

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3731384452&rd=1

Still looking for my horn...
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they have changed a whole lot, UGH. I once had a new Amati Eb cornet. The valves had to be worked on for it to even play reliably.

Mike
lewis4545
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played, or more accurately, tried to play one of their piccolo trumpets at a local music store. Wow, what a piece of crap...bad intonation, cruddy sound and bad valve action. I would stay away from them.

"This world is a circus, so you have to do serious things with a light heart."
- John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie
mark125
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know the Amati horns are made in the Czech Republic. I don't know if that makes them good or bad. I have not heard a lot of good things about the horns here at trumpetherald.
I believe that Amati makes the Giardinelli brand horns also.

You could buy one from wwbw.com or giardinelli.com and try it out for 45 days and send it back for a refund if you don't like it.

Mark

[ This Message was edited by: mark125 on 2004-06-18 12:43 ]
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably not the best trumpet to look into
musicalmason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually try to stay open minded about instrument brands, but when it comes to amati, all I'll say is crappity crap crap crap.
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning this horn, I'd be interested to know the date of manufacture and also some of Amati's pre 1989 or perhaps pre 1939 history, including especially the quality of their earlier instruments. I say all this because I get the distinct impression that this seller is scrounging second hand stores, attics, etc. in central Europe looking for antique instruments to sell on ebay. (I always get a kick out of checking out his other items; there are almost always some unique old French horns and/or cimbassos (sp?) and/or flugels or other curiosities listed!) At any rate, if it could be verified that this is an old Amati, and I suspect it must be, and if it could also be verified that old Amatis were higher quality than their recent horns, then this MIGHT be worth considering.
Ebayscrounger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I hadn't even looked at who the seller was. I bought an old Amati rotary flugel from him about a year ago, it was decent.

Still looking for my horn...
musicalmason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was browsing around the sellers other items and came across this http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3730715786 . yeah, he must not play any other instrument, sportsmans guide catalog was selling these "civil war" bugles a long time ago for 20 bucks. oh, and theirs werent beat up. they also didnt try to charge $43 in shipping. this guy must be nuts
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a guy on e-bay selling unopened 40 yo Amati stock out of a NY warehouse...
I had tried an old used Amati pocket Cornet (not trumpet, has extension for Bb and A, and uses small shank cornet mp) at a local brass store, and it played very well, much to everyone's surprise. They wanted $275, and it sold in a week. (I have tried the new Amatis, and they are awful, just better than junk)
So I noticed this guy on e-bay, and asked him about the pocket cornet, and bought one for $140. I was leaving for a short tour the next day, so I had to bring it along. It did fine...as long as I was playing loud and bright...but it was an eye catcher too, it's so cute. Good intonation considering there is no 3rd valve slide.
It came in the 40yo wrapping paper over the case, and everything has Czechloslovakia crookedly printed in it, (the non-existant communist country)(as opposed to the new Czech Republic) even the mp that came w/ it. I later got a Yamaha short shank 11C4, and it works well. With a regular cornet mp the tuning slide has to be all the way in, so a short shank is necessary...Oh, the valves are pretty good too, and they are spaced nicely.

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2004-06-18 16:20 ]
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a Czech horn from the early 1920's and it seems to be crap too. I haven't heard anything good about them myself, although the one for sale looks interesting and might be worth a try if you could get it cheap, the starting bid ain't cheap enough for me. It's too bad about these horns, I believe Kraslice and the surrounding area was the birthplace of brass instruments and had a centuries old tradition of excellence. Guess Communism did away with that.

Bob
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some horns from the 20s need work done on the valve alignment etc. to be judged accurately. Chances are, it's the need for fast, ready cash and the much spoken of entry of poor quality Chinese and Indian instruments into the beginner's market...in other words, a business decision, pure capitalism. I believe Amati still has a top of the line group of instruments, but from what I've seen, the communist era instruments were better than the post commy era. Under communism, they probably had a week to make one instrument. Now they make 500 in a day and barley break even. Maybe.
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I wrote that post before I had read yours, the horn I have the valves are shot to hell to be sure, but the craftmanship overall just doesn't look very good. I can't speak for Amatis as I have no experience, though I think I read here somewhere that they were popular in Europe, but then the horns we're used to are hard to get.

Bob
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short reply, need to go and teach, may elaborate later.

Amati - CRAP!
jcmacman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed him about the main tuning slide being upside down, he replied to me that it was stuck.
He says 1 slide moves and has a picture of the 1st valve slide out. So, that means that the 2nd, 3rd and main tuning slides are stuck. Might not be a biggie for a horn made into a lamp.

John
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, junk. Because i feel so sorry for anyone who bought one, I offer a service for unwanted Amati Pocket Cornets,( they are especially bad,) I'll take it off your hands for free. Same goes for a Rotary Flugel. Really bad, again you can send it to me for free, I'll even pay post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: