• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How loud?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How loud should the SLS studies be played at the peak of the crescendo? I've been playing them ffff and filling my house with sound. When I play my 2nds, 3rd's, etc., how loud should the notes above the GA interval(and above) be? Should the upper register volume be kept about the same as the middle register? I still cannot play with great volume above Bb(below high C) without feeling that I'm fighting the horn to get air thru it. When I finally reach my highest interval, there not only is no sound...there is essentially no air going thru the horn and I feel like I'm pressuring the mouthpiece into my chops. My technique below high Bb is right on, however. Thanks for any responses. Jim
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

The peak volume in the SLS and LSL exercises should be as loud as possible. but you achieve this by blowing the air as fast as possible. Think air speed!! If you are blowing the air as fast as possible on beats 6 and 7, then you are playing the exercises correctly. The effect of the SLS exercises is soft - loud - soft. But that is accomplished by blowing the air slowest - fastest - slowest. Do it this way and it will be less stressful for you. This is an AIR SPEED exercise that results in and develops dynamics. don't worry about the result. Do the exercise.

"When I finally reach my highest interval, there not only is no sound...there is essentially no air going thru the horn and I feel like I'm pressuring the mouthpiece into my chops."

This is normal. Until your body finds its way, it can be a little frustrating. Going through the motions, following the Four Rules is all you have to do to be doing everything correctly. Don't worry about results.

Charly

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-03-19 18:47 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: