• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where to start??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alwyswinn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just getting back to the trumpet haven't played for a long time. I am a music student i already play violin and would like some suggestions on getting back into playing. probably this question has been asked perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a good teacher. You probably won't need weekly lessons. Lessons once every 3-4 months from a good teacher will work well. Here is my teacher's website. He has helped me a bunch. Check out his wesite as well as the websotes of others until you find someone you "connect" with.

http://www.bbtrumpet.com/index.html
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you want to come back ... welcome!

I can give you a few suggestions.

First, Find a teacher who can guide you. It seems reasonable to me that a little attention when you're rebuilding your chops -- I wish I'd done that when I got back into playing. While some aspects of my playing are better than before my "hiatus," I think I also managed to rebuild some of my bad habits. Some focused lessons in the first months would have helped me avoid rebuilding the problems.

Second, check out oj's "Comeback Trumpeters Guide" at http://abel.hive.no/ctg/ This isn't what I did -- I didn't know about it when I started my comeback -- but it's worth checking out. Ole's compiled a lot of information. Give it a read!

Third, I first started rebuilding my skills with long tones and with lip slurs to build embouchure strength and flexibility. Once I had a little endurance, I started working on technical studies (Clarke, Arban, etc.) and playing tunes from a fake book. I also found places to play (mainly church and musicals at the school where my wife teaches) so that I'd have some goals.

Not everyone would agree with using lip slurs for this purpose, but I didn't know that when I was starting my comeback. What I can say is that they worked for me, but check out this thread in the "Fundamentals" forum:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=16526&forum=2&24

Hope this helps! Take a look at some of the other threads in this forum and you should be able to get more comebacker wisdom!

Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look into the "Comeback Trumpeters Guide" (CTG), you will see things missing.

First we (me & others) never finished the 4 week course, but the basic idea is there, and you can if you like it, just fill out the missing things for yourself. I do not use a lot of lip and mouthpiece buzzing now, but I'm still convinced that the Rafael Mendez idea is great.

When we made CTG, there was no
* Trumpet Herald
* Caruso Forum
* Balanced Embouchure Book/CD (and BE Forum)
* Comeback Players Forum

I had the Caruso book (MCFB) when we developed the CTG, but I did not really understand how powerful the whole concept was. TAP YOUR FOOT! If you are a CP (comeback player), you should really look into that. Get MCFB and study alt tips in the Caruso Forum.

If the Balanced Embouchure Book/CD (BE) had been around at that time, it would also have been given an important place in CTG.

Both MCFB and BE are great "tools" for a CP.

O.J.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: