• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

So I started on BE today . . . (long post)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonBoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

My story:
After being off for 7 years I'm just starting over again, it's been nice to be back but not without it's frustrations. Seven years ago I was playing "in the red," my range was OK I could hit High Cs and a few times Ds and Es but my endurance was crap. Enter frustration with the "correct" embrochure, and I quit.

Fast forward seven years, I'm practicing for about a month and I'm still re-learning the instrument. I could hit high Cs a few times but not much endurance yet. Mostly I stay below G above the staff, as to minimize the tendancy to play with too much pressure.

Anyway I got BE a few days ago and started on the Roll-in exercises today, because BE says to do that if you have a protruding upper lip, which I do. Without much effort I hit a high F over C! Now admittedly only for a few minutes could I play this high, and it wasn't preformance tone, but it was so, so, so very effortless, which startled me! After that I think things went south because my lips started getting torn up by my lower teeth. The other problem is I have a headache still from playing in the afternoon, I hope that's not a recurring problem. But, I have high hopes for BE! Thank You Jeff!
rg3000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a comeback player with 7 years off (I played for 11 years prior to the break). My range before and after the comeback seems pretty similar to yours, MoonBoy. Although, it sounds like yours is probably a little stronger.

I've been working on BE for nearly six months now. Even though I still play with 2 embouchures (BE and my old embouchure), my overall endurance and range have strengthened across the board. I've also noticed that the old version of my embouchure is beginning to look more and more like my BE version. So, yes, I'm a believer!

I recently made a journal to monitor my playing progress and to share my trumpet/jazz experiences with others. Check it out if you're interested: http://jazz.supernonstop.com

('technique' and 'about me' sections contain BE notes)
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

Very nice website!
Your articles at the TECHNIQUE section were very well written.

I liked that you have diveded it into these well known cliché's -like:

"Range will develop over time, just keep practicing"

Keep up your good work, both on your website and on you musical journey!

Ole
Jacko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Web Site!!!

I'll take a more involved look later on tonight, but I like the approach so far.

I am new to BE and I was about to post a question regarding moving on from exercises to using the new embouchure for general playing, but you may have answered it for me.

I have been using BE about three or four weeks and having some reasonable results with RI #3 and RO #2, but my embouchure is so different to my old embouchure, that I want to change as soon as I get the opportunity.

The great news is I can hit F & G's above high C, something I have not been able to do in over 30 years playing, so I guess I'm sticking with it. From what you are saying, I just have to hang in there while the two come together. I guess I just want to start "squeezing" those top notes into my performances as soon as possible!!

Jacko
rg3000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I really hope my site helps others in their musical journey.

I just added a new journaly entry that discusses how I've worked to merge BE with my old embouchure. I debated whether or not I should copy it all here (it's kind of long). If you'd like me to add a copy here, let me know and I'll edit this post.

Thanks again.
MoonBoy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very nice website. By all means paste that text!
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

If you copy the text (very good, btw) - would it not be better to start a new topic?

Just call it "Merging two Embouchures".

Ole

P.S.
I love Charlier - #2 is my favourite...and of course you can start the first note in this etude with a rolled-in setting
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great website! I snuck a peek while at work this morning and will have to go back tonight to spend more time listening to your audio clips and reading more about your experiences. As I'm sure you already know. BE will improve every aspect of your playing, not just range.

Barry

[ This Message was edited by: barryj1 on 2004-01-28 09:39 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: