• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What cornet(?) does Wynton have during this interview?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: What cornet(?) does Wynton have during this interview? Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I’d like to eventually get a small cornet to bring on trips- about the size of the horn Wynton holds in his lap during this interview. He plays it briefly here, mostly in the last few minutes of the interview.

I want a cornet this size, not a pocket trumpet. What might be options for something not extremely expensive, but pretty good?

Link
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Getzen Eterna 800 to me. A used Yamaha 2330 would be a good, inexpensive short cornet.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks indeed as a Getzen Eterna 800 with lever instead of Amado waterkeys.

Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything else equal or slightly better, or the next step up from the Yamaha 2330?
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is much earlier....

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty darn sure Wynton used a Bach 184 for the Carnaval recording, which is still the best I’ve ever heard those pieces done, basically bar none…

(I use a Yamaha 2330SII for a lot of professional work, including today’s gig, but I’m miles from anything Wynton has done)
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the 2330 would compare to an Olds Ambassador trumpet or cornet… Totally different horns I know, but either could serve as a horn to throw in the car for a day trip and as a back-up horn. The trumpet would of course be larger, but all of these are in the same general price range used.

By ‘2nd horn’ I do mean 2nd, as I have one good horn now that I hope I’m in the process of successfully resolving a valve issue on without needing to send it out.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
Pretty darn sure Wynton used a Bach 184 for the Carnaval recording, which is still the best I’ve ever heard those pieces done, basically bar none…

I’m pretty sure he played a Bach 184 on that recording, too. He autographed my copy of that CD after a concert.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
I wonder how the 2330 would compare to an Olds Ambassador trumpet or cornet… Totally different horns I know, but either could serve as a horn to throw in the car for a day trip and as a back-up horn. The trumpet would of course be larger, but all of these are in the same general price range used.

By ‘2nd horn’ I do mean 2nd, as I have one good horn now that I hope I’m in the process of successfully resolving a valve issue on without needing to send it out.

Any good Olds horn can be very fine player. I've had Ambassador trumpets that were VERY impressive in tone and function. Personally, I think the Olds Recording cornet is a phenomenal cornet, and I have one that was about $475 from a Music Chain recently. It's a very short cornet due to the wrap as well. And the Olds Studio also is a pretty short cornet due to its wrap. The Olds horns are built like tanks too - one reason so many Ambassador's are available.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rhondo

I take it that you mean a short model cornet or shepherd's crook model cornet, rather than a small cornet.

Wynton Marsalis did play a Bach 184 for the Carnaval album, but the cornet he is playing in this clip, has the wrap of a Getzen Eterna, and probably is a Getzen Eterna 800, as I don't know of any other cornets with this thread.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEG Signature ?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/bb-cornet-donald-getzen-signature-deg-246802637

Check the slant of the leadpipe bell brace.

If I'm not mistaken, DEG furnished the valve blocks for the early Monette trumpets so ...

Oh - side bar - Wynton was on the cover of Parade Magazine in August 1992 holding a Conn 80A cornet. [edited 02/29/24] He is playing a 1921, serial number 183411. Satin finish gold plated all engraving and stamping are sharp. It has a little finger hook. (I went on eBay and purchased the magazine.)

Low priced - good cornets ? As others, Yamaha student, Ambassador, Getzen.

The Yamaha 2310 long model is probably closer to the Ambassador than the 2330. The 2330 is very cornetish with a smaller sound. The Ambassador and the 2310 are more robust.

Last edited by Andy Cooper on Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
DEG Signature ?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/bb-cornet-donald-getzen-signature-deg-246802637

Check the slant of the leadpipe bell brace.

Very interesting, thanks.

Lou

If I'm not mistaken, DEG furnished the valve blocks for the early Monette trumpets so ...

Oh - side bar - Wynton was on the cover of Parade Magazine in August 1992 holding a Conn 80A cornet. Search for "Parade Magazine Lot Of 2 August 1992 Wynton Marsallis" on ebay.

Low priced - good cornets ? As others, Yamaha student, Ambassador, Getzen.

The Yamaha 2310 long model is probably closer to the Ambassador than the 2330. The 2330 is very cornetish with a smaller sound. The Ambassador and the 2310 are more robust.
[/b]
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yamaha 2310 long model is probably closer to the Ambassador than the 2330. The 2330 is very cornetish with a smaller sound. The Ambassador and the 2310 are more robust.

Are you talking about the Ambassador cornet here?
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:

Yes - the .468 bore Ambassador cornet - regular A5 model not the the A6 short model from the late 70's.

The Yamaha has a smaller valve bore but bigger throated, larger diameter bell and is perhaps a little more diffuse in sound than the Ambassador. I like both cornets and have used them in concert bands with Bach style
mouthpieces.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Rhondo wrote:

Yes - the .468 bore Ambassador cornet - regular A5 model not the the A6 short model from the late 70's.

The Yamaha has a smaller valve bore but bigger throated, larger diameter bell and is perhaps a little more diffuse in sound than the Ambassador. I like both cornets and have used them in concert bands with Bach style
mouthpieces.

Thanks. Would you know how late ‘50s model Olds Special cornets compare?
Or if the Olds cornets tend toward a ‘thick’ fat sound like the Ambassador trumpet?

Is this the same horn you’re referring to? Doesn’t sound like it would fit for orchestra the way he plays it:
[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxijuba6Jns
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you’re just looking for a cheap, well-built cornet, I’d buy something better than an Ambassador or Special. They aren’t the short-style cornet you’re looking for, anyway. As for the video you posted, most people can make an Ambassador sound much better than that…lol

I used to own a 1949 Ambassador cornet that I thought was pretty good, until I tried to use it locally in a newly formed brass band. Of course, the tone didn’t fit in very well, but the main problem was a lot of intonation quirks I hadn’t noticed before. Just my opinion, but Ambassadors (cornets and trumpets) are great for students, casual playing, and can be good jazz horns, but in other venues, they aren’t so good.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Unless you’re just looking for a cheap, well-built cornet, I’d buy something better than an Ambassador or Special. They aren’t the short-style cornet you’re looking for, anyway. As for the video you posted, most people can make an Ambassador sound much better than that…lol

I used to own a 1949 Ambassador cornet that I thought was pretty good, until I tried to use it locally in a newly formed brass band. Of course, the tone didn’t fit in very well, but the main problem was a lot of intonation quirks I hadn’t noticed before. Just my opinion, but Ambassadors (cornets and trumpets) are great for students, casual playing, and can be good jazz horns, but in other venues, they aren’t so good.

Mainly I want a back-up horn to practice with if I can’t resolve a valve issue I’m occasionally having with my Bach 37 and have to send it out. The ‘petite cornet’ idea is secondary and could wait until another time.

Listening to players on Ambassadors, I kind of figured it wouldn’t be at all ideal in an orchestra setting.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

Mainly I want a back-up horn to practice with if I can’t resolve a valve issue I’m occasionally having with my Bach 37 and have to send it out. The ‘petite cornet’ idea is secondary and could wait until another time.

Listening to players on Ambassadors, I kind of figured it wouldn’t be at all ideal in an orchestra setting.

I fully understand, thanks, but just to clarify, Wynton was playing a normal size short model cornet and not a petite one.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 minutes and 7 secs from the end of the video you can read the bell stamp Eterna by Getzen.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynton is playing an early model Getzen 800S Eterna cornet in that video. I have one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: