• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

notation software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All---

I was wondering which of you out there like using notation software and one you might recommend. I need something well suited for arranging small/medium jazz combo stuff. Nothing too elaborate, but maybe one you can enter chord changes into (like band in a box) and does a decent job at simulating a 'swing' feel.

Thanks--
-Carl
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Finale 2002 now but I had moderate sucsess with Printmusic I'm not sure if it does the swing time, though I know finale does.
jdscreamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad also uses finale 2002. It is expensive, but Printmusic is only about $70. You can download a free version off the finale website which can get you started arranging.

http://www.codamusic.com
screamertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finale 2002 is awesome at just about anything. The only catch is that it's worth like one or two Monette mouthpieces (yes, I'm using mouthpieces as a form of currency )
I would say get Print Music if you're not TOTALLY serious in composing. My friend has Print Music and he seems to like it a lot. As for me, I'm using my "computer buddies" old copy of Finale 97. It's probably not as good as PM, but, hey, he didn't want it so I just took it.
Trevor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Finale. Printmusic is nice, too, and there is a free (stripped down) version of Finale called Notepad which you can download from the Coda website.

I don't care for Band in a Box for notation -- too limited. But, if it does what I need, it's fast!

Cubase' Sibelius is one of the most popular now; easier to use than Finale, and arguably just as powerful.

Noteworthy is an inexpensive alternative, and there are many freeware and shareware programs of varying competence (I know, poor word choice, but I'm tired). And, there's always Cakewalk, MIDI Composer, and the like. For a pretty good listing, go to the Harmony Central site and follow the computer links to find notation software:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Software/Windows/sequencing.html
HTH - Don
jhaysom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also consider MusicTime Deluxe (http://www.gvox.com/).

Pluses: Once you learn how to use it, you can get it to do just about anything you want and it can produce a beautiful looking, easy to read piece of music. Transposition is easy and it transposes the chord symbols too. Only US$100.

Minuses: Steep learning curve. Doesn't follow all Windows conventions. Doesn't play chord from symbols.

My jazz group uses it to share music and we all swear at it a lot but we haven't found anything with its capabilities at anything near the price.

Although PrintMusic does play the chords from symbols, our experience indicates it falls far short of MusicTime in other areas.
dannystone10
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sibelius 2002 every time. In England it is the standard, easy to use and powerful.
dannystone10
Veteran Member

Sibelius 2002 every time. In England it is the standard, easy to use and powerful.
dannystone10
Veteran Member

wolfitrp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
in an advertisement of Printmusic they write that you can play the notes with an analog instrument via a microphone on the sheet. Do anyone have experienced this?

wolfi
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does it in finale, but it is not really the best thing. It is cool and all, but you have to select the note value.... you can just play and have the correct rythm (i dunno if that is spelt right, i just got out of work i cant even think of my middle name , but if you have a passage that is all quarter notes, every time you articulate it is a new quarter note, ect.
NelleTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sibelius is a great program, more user friendly than Finale in most people's opinion. I've also used MusicTime - for the price, it has a lot of capabilities, making it a great alternative to the more expensive programs. I suppose it just depends on what you want the program for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: