• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A No-Brainer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading a number of posts regarding the Caruso method, I went out and
purchased Musical Calisthenics for Brass. Even though my approach is somewhat
haphazard (i.e. I shamelessly breath through my mouth, remove the horn from my lips
before an exercise is properly finished and have adapted several exercises to suit my
musical convenience), I can attest the the fact that this stuff really works!

After twenty minutes with the Caruso material, my tone tends to open up and physical control in all registers is noticeably improved. I experienced a major improvement a few months back when I switched over to a closed mouthpieces setting after purchasing Jeff Smiley’s Balanced Embouchure. The Caruso method fine-tunes/tweaks the player into using his/her equipment more efficiently; it energizes the fundamental tone, making the most demanding technical passages easier to execute.

It’s truly a no-brainer: you don’t have to go nuts analyzing what is happening; the notes don’t even have to sound good. When you finish with the Caruso material (or, as in my case, the somewhat adulterated version), everything that follows sounds so much better. Why the dramatic improvement? Who knows! Who cares!

Barry
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are the physical and musical sides of tpt. Caruso's exercises help us to build up the physical, to focus. I find that the musical aspects come a bit easier with a better physical platform, aided by Caruso.
I'm glad Caruso helps you, too.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: