• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn suggestions for a brand new comeback player?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetwidow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the wife, and not the one who has to play the horn. So I would really rather that he spent less on a good used horn, but there aren't any around here to try. He wants a good balanced horn that can go from orchestral to jazz, and that's good for the higher range, and that's easy for him to play.
Of the new horns we tried he likes the Bach Strad 43, the new (this year) Getzen Eterna Severinsen, and the Conn 52B, which he sounded great on, at least to me and the sales rep.
Anyone have any thing to say about the last two horns?
I like Ebay, but I have never bought anything above the $200 ebay fraud limit before. How do you buy a horn that you can't play first? What if you hate it? I've lurked here long enough to know that you folks have managed to get some great horns on Ebay, so suggestions would be great.
He says money isn't an object, but of course it is, or we'd just go get a Monette, or that new handmade gold Severinsen.
I'd really like to spend less than $900 if at all possible.
I know that there are a lot of great used trumpet out there and have read a some of the threads on the topic. Right now I'd mostly like some input on the Conn 52B and the new Getzen Eterna Severinsen.
Thanks,
TrumpetWidow
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can contact Woodwind and Brasswind or Giardinelli. They have a great return policy. You can order up to 3 horns at a time and they will bill your card. The good news is that you can send all of them back if you want and you will only be out the shipping charges. Depending on where you live you could also visit their stores or try Rayburn music. They have a great selection as well.

You might also consider a used Schilke. I have seen a lot of B1, B5 and S32 models for around $1100. They are definitely a bargain at that price.

Of the horns that you mentioned my personal preference would be the Getzen, but that is ultimately your call.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I cameback after 20+ years, I bought a Getzen 700s. (It is very similar to the Getzen Severinsen model I had in 1974.) Two years ago the 700S cost less than $700. I eventually sent it to Bob Reeves for a precision valve alignment. That cost $150.

My 700 is extremely free blowing and consistent. The tone is full--I get lots of commenst on my sound--and it responds well up to A above High C. I can't really give much feedback on how well it works above there. My trumpet teacher said he didn't like it's Double B, but that he didn't like the Double B on most trumpets. He then proceeded to play E above Double C on it.

He plays Triple C on his "Wild Thing". The Wild Thing is an incredible horn, and it will be my next step--when I can take full advantage of it. However, the WT is only a [i]little[i/] bit better than my 700S, but it costs $2600+. So I have an $850 trumpet that plays right on the heels of arguably the best trumpet made today. I am very happy with that.............
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search here and on eBay for a seller named "nicenative." (You'll find the refernces here very positive.) He also lives in Utah (I believe his eBay signature says Southern Utah) and he frequently has several horns (many times just cornets) on eBay. It might be worth emailing him to see what he has laying around the house that he hasn't yet listed and make a road trip?
The Royal Lancer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a come back trumpeter myself, my first purchase was a 1970 Getzen Eterna-Severinsen. It was just going to be a horn to carry back and forth to rehearsal. That horn turned out to be one of the best I've ever played and I got it off ebay for $400. Then I picked up an old Yamaha 6335 for about the same price. That was going to be the knock around horn. THAT IS THE BEST!! I have subsequently sent it into WW&BW and had it rebuilt ($350) and finished in silver. That is a remarkable horn that goes from jazz to pop to legit with great ease and the sound! The gold brass bell just sings. I give it my highest recommendation for a comeback kid! Note, new ones at WW&BWs are not that expensive compared to the Bachs and Kanstuls.
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet widow.

At $900 bucks you can get some really good deals on some Bach strads on EBay.The key to buying on ebay is look at the number of sales they have had and the feed back.Ask a lot of questions in emails to the sellar and see if he will talk to you on the phone.Chances are a lot of the horn sellars over on ebays are regulars there and don't won't to mis represent a horn and risk getting negative feed back.

I routinely see Bach Strads going for under $900 bucks.

You can also get some really good deals on Kanstul trumpets from Washington Music.They have rock bottom deals on Kanstul trumpets and Kanstul has several horns in the $700-$900 range which are comparable to Bach St rads.

new Bach strads can be bought for $1500 if you look in the right places.

Email me and I will try to help.

edwardamason@comcast.net.
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out Dillon Music in New Jersey. You can see its inventory of used trumpets online. (usually over a hundred).
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet Widow,

All are great suggestions. Check out Dillon Music (www.dillonmusic.com) and see what they havve to offer. Also, I would take Camel Lips up on his offer. A good Bach Strad will be versatile in many situations and many go for less then $900 on ebay. They key there is the buyer, his feedback and even the serial number of the horn.

Personally, for an all around Strad I would look for a 37 Bell. It has a slightly darker and more focused sound then the 43 Strad. it is the best selling bell Bach makes by far. It is good that you are using as many resources as possible. Just for the heck of it check out the http://www.horntraders.com website. He has a lot of horns. He tends to be just a little high on some of his horns but he is in California. It wouldn't hurt to look and then find a great one on ebay or from Dillons. Good Luck!

Mike
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bach strad 37 would be a good choice.
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by B_Starry on Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetbenge.

Thanks for the moral support.Its nice to know someone recognizes it when you try and do something nice for someone.

Trumpet widow.

Dillon is a very safe place to do business with.I don't think you will get quite as good of a deal from them as you might on ebay but it is about as risk free of a adventure as your going to find.i generally find

One horn over there that stood out as a very good deal at $500 bucks is the This Silveplated 100B "Doc Severinsen Model" trumpet is in very good condition.

Kinda of hard to go wrong with that model and that price.

Dillion is the one that has the Bach 37S at a Special Price of $1425 new in the box.Kind of hard to go wrong with that one.

[ This Message was edited by: camel lips on 2004-03-01 14:26 ]
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing about the Bach Strad (and perhaps the Yamaha Xeno) if your husband really gets into it and later decides to change horns (and money is an issue) I think the Bach is easier to sell. Unfortunately for some of the other trumpet makers, high school kids still want the Bach Strad. --although it is a horn that you can keep and play forever.
trumpetwidow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. We found a nearly new Conn 52B on ebay for $450 and he has had it for a little while now. When he is on, the sound is sweeeeet, but it's not very forgiving when you aren't exactly on. I think he was wishing we had held out till we could afford a Bach, since he finds that easier to play. He then bought a couple new mouthpieces, one a Mar(something) Bobby Shew 1.5, and it has transformed the set up. He is very happy with both the sound and the setup now. Now he is hunting for an amateur jazz band to play in, and I think he has finally found one. Coming back is harder than I think he thought it would be, but I think he is doing well, of course I don't know what he sounded like before, so I don't really have a comparison.

I appreciate all the replies and suggestions.

"Just play the gig. Never get involved in politics"
Trumpet Widow
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The absolute, flat out, best horn-per-dollar I have is a vintage Olds Ambassador (purchased on eBay for under $100) with a Blackburn leadpipe. Plays as well as my Bach Strad, Kanstul 1504, Connstellation, and Olds Recording, and it represents a total investment of less than $500.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: