• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

65 Essential Jazz Trumpet albums

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, folks!

I posted a recommended discography of essential jazz albums on my website at:

<http://www.patharbison.com/articles.shtml#listening>

The idea was to give people a listening list that covered the history of jazz trumpet and as many styles as possible in no more than 65 albums. I went insane trying to figure out who and what to leave out. My biases are obvious and I celebrate them.

All of my selections are currently in print according to the All-Music Guide website. I wanted to be practical and pick things people could get their hands on easily.

I'd love to see what you folks think.

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-03-26 21:31 ]
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Hmmmm. You've got me thinking. No Maynard? And Wynton has the same number of cd's on the list as Ingrid Jensen (1)? Thought provoking nonetheless. Thanks for the list.

[ This Message was edited by: Mark Heuer on 2002-03-26 22:55 ]
PH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as for Maynard...he's very important as a trumpet player & band leader, but to me a list of jazz recordings is about improv and that is definitely not Maynard's strong suit.

As for Ingrid and Wynton...that is how I see their relative significance as artists. Wynton died as a creative force some time in the late 1980s. Since then he is the Bryan Gumbel of jazz.
jkramb19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitly a good list. I kinda think there should be more Clifford on there, esp. Study In Brown. Just my opinion though.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Vince Lombardi
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take issue with the statement that soloing wasn't/isn't Maynard's strong suit. Some of the stuff that he put out in the 50s and 60s is phenomenal! I have an LP titled "Jam Session Featuring Maynard Ferguson" from 1954 that has 2 cuts on it, "Our Love is Here to Stay" and "Air Conditioned" with Max Roach on the drums and although he does wail a bit, most of the soloing he does is really nice combo style soloing. I once heard someone say that Maynard Ferguson is both the best and worst Jazz trumpeter in reference to the pre-commercial Maynard and the commercial Maynard.

I have a really hard time accepting a list of the 65 top Jazz albums that doesn't have a Maynard recording listed.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH,
Thanks for putting into words what I have not been able to (Bryant Gumbal) in relation to Wynton. As great as he is, he is not a trend setter as many credit him with being. I totally agree with you on this subject.
1B
cp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...some great ones listed! Many I'd like to hear, too.

Glad you included Thad Jones (w/Monk). That's a beautiful recording. But....no Clifford (Art Blakey) 'Live at Birdland'?

Aw come on! Give Don Cherry or Lester Bowie one, too!! (Take a few from Miles to make room. He won't mind... )
PH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Cherry & Bowie (and Herb Robertson, Leo Smith, etc....) was the toughest decision I had to make. That kind of playing is what first drew me to jazz and I wanted to be Cherry when I grew up. However, (kind of like with Maynard) I am making this list mostly for use in my clinics and other educational purposes. Therefore, I felt like it was important to try to focus on what seems to be the mainstream of jazz playing. It seems to me that (contrary to what we all thought in the '60s & '70s) free playing has become tangential to most jazz players/listeners. It is almost as if it is spinning off into a different genre.

FWIW

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-03-27 06:28 ]
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that the beauty of Jazz though, that it does spin off into different directions and is always fresh and ever changing?
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice list.
I applaud your inclusion of Kenny Wheeler whom I've loved since hearing him with Anthony Braxton (although I like his own material better.)
It's wonderful to read in your post that you wanted to be Don Cherry while growing up. His playing on the Codona albums was sublime and the "mu" duets with Ed Blackwell are worthy of mention. I also relate to his general cultural contributions to humanity and interest in African and Indian musics.
I'm happy that you mention Eddie Henderson. What a sound! I agree that his Mwandishi material is a Must Listen, but lately a local jazz program has been playing tracks he did with Kenny Baron, (called Things Unseen) more recient than the Hancock days. On these his tone is alot more firey (still amazing) than the round reverbed sound that was on the Mwandishi sides.
Booker Little was an example of someone who never stoped growing and learning. Great classically influenced sound. What a waste he died of something that could be managed better nowadays.
Dave Douglas's Tiny Bell Trio is my favorate from him: it's a trio of trumpet, guitar and drums, and Dave has to play almost constantly, so you get allot of trumpet there.
Definatly, Lester Bowie should have been included. He and Cherry expanded the possibilities of what the trumpet could be, and his humerous/artistic attitude was one every young person should be exposed to.
You forgot Freddie Hubbard's Creed Taylor materials: Red Clay and Sunflower were marvelous. Very cool writing too.
I loved Miles's Get Up With It when it came out even though it was horribly panned by jazz critics. They just didn't get it! Bill Lazwell called On The Corner the most influencial album of the 70s. Just the percussion isolations are revolutionary. Instead of the studio works of the late 50's I would have included Jazz At athe Plaza vol. 1. I've never heard a better jazz recording.
I have NO PROBLEM with leaving MF out. I know my statements will be objected too, but it's my opinion. This is obviously a improvisational list and the artists had something serious to say (even if it's funny). While I've come to love MF's playing and exuberance in my mellower years, to me in the 70s, as a reactionary high school student, (it's normal for that age) Maynard was the cover-playing-entertainer who launched a whole flock of macho high note screaching trumpet atheletes. For me, he was the dark lord. I liked Herbie Hancock's Chameleon, not the Maynard version! Even learned how to play the bass line (on bass). The theme from Rocky? Please! The first time I attended one of those stage band competitions (which in itself is ridiculous) I walked out and went home and listened to Neffertiti thinkin there Is a place for me in the music world as long as I am true to myself. Now to be fair, it was the marketing forces I didn't like. I Like to entertain folks myself, and I'm sure the man himself is a very fine human being and artist. I met and took a class with Bill Chase, (with similar objections) and he talked mostly about my 1st. guru, Mr. Ghitala, long tones and good Italian food. I came to like Chase very much, and I'm sure I'd like MF too. But there's a certain politition I'm sure I'd like in person, but fear his ignorance and anti-environmental policies. So it's up to individuals to do what is right. Same as in art.

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2002-03-27 13:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2002-03-28 12:27 ]
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tough task to be sure! Only two ommissons I would take exception to. The first is Jack Sheldon. He is one of those players that is instantly recognizable through both his sound and style. I feel he was (is) quite an influence. And speaking of influence-Bobby Shew would be my other choice. Probably his album "Breakfast Wine". There are several other great ones but that is my favorite. He has been such a great mentor to so many players through his playing and teaching.

Certainly if Ingrid Jensen, Terence Blanchard and Eddie Henderson are on the list then the uniqueness of Jack Sheldon and the personal influence and wonderful playing of Bobby Shew would put them on my list. I'd probably put Don Fagerquist on there too but I could keep going for awhile!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: