• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

help me please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wa_bakes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello out there,
I just learned that until recently I had placed my mouthpiece too low on my lips (on the red tissue instead of the white tissue) resulting in a forced high register that usually tops out in the high C range. My newly found private instructor gave me an Adam/Caruso hybrid routine to develop the "new" emobouchure. The routine consists of buzzing the leadpipe, followed by the 6 note exercise, followed by the Seconds exercise and finishing with variations on Clarke tech. study 1. My question is, how do you properly execute the Caruso material as to achieving the best results in a timely fashion.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just follow the Four Rules in MCFB. It's as simple as that
wa_bakes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher actually wrote out the exercises for me so I wouldn't need to buy the Caruso book. Therefore I have no written instructions only the oral instructions received from my teacher. I just want to make sure that the "experts" agreed with the way I did the exercises.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WAY you practice Caruso is the all important ingredient. The Four Rules are:

1. Tap your Foot.

2. Keep the mouthpiece in contact with the lips throughout each study.

3. Keep the blow steady

4. Breathe only through your nose.

The basic idea here is to maintain the same setting that you start with throughout an exercise . Since breathing is necessary, you do it through your nose so as not to disrupt the setting by opening the lips to breathe through the mouth. Foot tapping is the most important rule to focus on, because it establishes the timing to which all the muscles will learn to move together. Mr. Caruso's approach is often called the "long setting method."

These rules of practice are NOT to be applied to your regular playing. Read that to mean, anything outside of Caruso. When you do anything else, just play as you always do.

You might browse some of the threads. There have been several good questions by others who are doing the Caruso exercises that are related to this topic .......... how to do the exercises?

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-03-27 14:01 ]
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would the advise be to someone who cannot breath only through the nose? I have constant allergies, and if I couldn't take a big breath from Everywhere (mouth, nose, ears if I could) I'd faint. In thinking about emboushure types, I have found that mine is closed Except when taking an initial breath. All other times between notes my lips are touching.
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common sense prevails.

Obviously, you have to breathe through your mouth. The less that you disturb the setting while doing this, the better.

This is also the case of suffering from a cold with a stuffed up nose, etc. All you can do is be as careful as possible to keep the setting. The process is still going to give you great results!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: