• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Three valid comeback questions....no four

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wldflwr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after 18 years, I'm playing my trumpet again. First question.
I have a "Benge" trumpet.....it has a #5 on it if that means anything. Can anyone tell me about the horn and what kind of perfomance I should expect from it.....it's already figuring out what it can get from me...sigh.. OH and I'm using a schilke 16c2 mouthpiece.

Second what in the WORLD is this 'BE' stuff?

Third, I just want to be able to play from Low C to shining C above the staff. What should I be doing daily to get my lip back in shape.

Fourth, what should I be doing to improve my endurance??? I play at church on Sundays and I can only play an A above the staff by the end of the songs. But I want to play for two services on Sunday and the first service will require louder, higher notes more often. What is the sensible way to approach these challenges.....and guys....I know 0 zip zilch and nuthin' about embachure in fact I think I just butchered the word.

any advice sure would help.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So after 18 years, I'm playing my trumpet again. First question.
I have a "Benge" trumpet.....it has a #5 on it if that means anything. Can anyone tell me about the horn and what kind of perfomance I should expect from it.....it's already figuring out what it can get from me...sigh.. OH and I'm using a schilke 16c2 mouthpiece.

Second what in the WORLD is this 'BE' stuff?

Third, I just want to be able to play from Low C to shining C above the staff. What should I be doing daily to get my lip back in shape.

Fourth, what should I be doing to improve my endurance??? I play at church on Sundays and I can only play an A above the staff by the end of the songs. But I want to play for two services on Sunday and the first service will require louder, higher notes more often. What is the sensible way to approach these challenges.....and guys....I know 0 zip zilch and nuthin' about embachure in fact I think I just butchered the word.

any advice sure would help.

The "BE" you are referring to stands for "Balanced Embochure" which is a method developed by Jeff Smiley.

As far as getting your chops back; practicing daily is the key. Practice often, not long. What I mean by that is practice about 3-4 times a day if you can, but only practice in 15-20 minute segments. Give your chops time to rest in between. Practicing in that manner will also allow you to concentrate without gettind distracted. If you practice more than that.. your mind will start to wander sometimes.. and you will lose focus. If this starts to happen, put the horn down for a little bit. I would do a lot of long tones in my daily practice. They seem to help my chops out a lot.

As far as your horn... I've never played a Benge.. but they have a very good reputation from what I've heard, so you should be in good shape with that horn.

My approach to "louder" and "higher" is playing scales in all registers of the instrument. Using what range I do have every single day with a good sound and good intonation. In your case, you say you can play an A above the staff.... use that A everyday in your practice until you "own" that note then go up to Bb, then B, then C, etc... etc... to me it is kinda like lifting weights. You have to make yourself stronger, but you wouldn't go in a weight room and try bench pressing 400 lbs if you normally work out with 200lbs.

[ This Message was edited by: fuzzyjon79 on 2004-03-06 23:43 ]
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a separate forum for the BE approach, and some very good advice there. Although I have fallen away from it, that is my fault, not any lack of positive effects on the part of the BE approach.
Long tones, rest as much as you play, and relearn all your scales, both major and minor.

The single best advice for us comebackers(one I have not followed myself) is get private instruction. A teacher hearing and seeing you play will do you more good than all the postings on this board put together, although this board is a great supplimental source of information.

The Benges are great horns, wish I could find one in my budget, and if it is mechanically sound will be all you need for the moment.
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a teacher ASAP. He/She will help you 'get back' into the swing of things. And help establish a path for you to follow and improve on. A bit of structure never hurt anyone.

I have had two great teachers since I started back in April 2003. With both of their help ... I feel that I have not only 'comeback', but surpassed whatever I was in HS and in college.

Being wiser, determined, and feeling as a 'joy' instead of a chore to practice everyday probably has a lot to do with it too.

Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Benge is a fine trumpet. They tend to be a little lighter weight, but this makes them very responsive. It won't hold your progress back, and as you improve you can try others.

Everyone has to work on range and endurance. The only thing I would add is that proper use of air is at least half the battle (and some would say much more than half) so concentrate alot on air support and exercises that help you develop it. High notes you have to practice regularly without overdoing it and hurting your lips.

Its with fear and trepidation that I bring up the subject of your mouthpiece. A certain mouthpiece cannot take the place of diligent practice and I think its better to settle on one and then practice like crazy. But-------- the Schilke 16 C2 is on the big side, and the "2" means that it has a thinner rounded rim. Perhaps, and I mean perhaps, as a comeback player struggling with endurance, you would be better off starting with something more like the 14 or 14C which is still bigger than most students start with. Go the "Schilke Loyalist" website and see his discussion of Schilke mouthpieces. (and his other great discussions). The thin rounded "2" rim is better for flexibility, but can affect endurance because the pressure is distributed over less surface. The fatter "4" rims are better for endurance but affect flexibility and attacks. For that reason I think most people use the standard Schilke rim ---You can really get into head games regarding mouthpieces which can be counterproductive so please don't do that. If the mouthpiece is working for you, then "NEVER MIND."
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above: a 16C2 mp is a very large mp, it feels bigger than a 16C4 because the narrow and somewhat cutting rim. I tried one when I was using that (similar Bach 1 1/4 size) and couldn't use it. I did like the 14C2 and the 15B at that time.
I've since downsized in steps over that last year and a half to the (similar to Bach 6) Curry 5 or Stork 5 Vacchianno or Warburton 4, Schilke 11. Advantages: 1. It doesn't take an hour and a half a day to maintain chops 2. helps center and make a closed embousure that can work all day (search for open vs closed embousure) 3. allows commercial sound OR a mellow jazz/classical sound.
The Schilke 14B or 14 mentioned here makes allot more sense, and you'll progress faster if playing isn't so hard...

Oh and the Benge...if it's in good condition with good compression (no leaks) you have a great horn that was the commercial standard in the 70s. I still play my 77 mlp 3x.

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2004-03-08 11:37 ]
Wldflwr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I kinda figured the mouthpiece might be part of my problem. But wow can I make the trumpet sing with it.......however what's the point if I can only make it sing for an hour?

I wish I could get a teacher, but I live in a pretty rual area. Would there be any point of going to the big city and just taking one lesson...just to get some pointers?

Also, I am doing...some...long tones. And I'm practicing 6x per week. I make myself take one day off.....is that good or bad?

One last question.........I really struggle getting good tone with my high E on the staff....what's up with that???

Thanks again for your help.....I NEED it!!!
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A one time consultation can do wonders. It might be better than "lessons" in some cases. There might be that one thing you can't see or figure out on your own.

Taking the day off is a great idea, but let your body tell you, not the calendar.

The E in the staff: try 1&2 or 3 alternate fingering. It may be a Benge quirk...some are flat a bit on the D, maybe the E too?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: