• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GETTING STARTED 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm up to "week" 8. everything's going smoothly. one question however...

should you take pressure off when you are blowing notes out? pressure stays the same during rests, but how about when playing? i'm focusing this question more on the loud soft loud in 3rds than anything else, because as i get higher and higher and higher, i am using more and more pressure. i know eventually i wont have to, because just as with all the other exercises, when i do them more and more, i dont have to use as much pressure.

just wondering
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BASIC RULE REGARDING PRESSURE:

USE ALL THE PRESSURE YOU WANT, ALL OF THE TIME!

This applies to Caruso and all other playing. Practicing CC will train the muscles to do the work of holding the lips in the position they need to be in in order to vibrate while playing the horn. As the muscles get better coordinated at doing this task the pressure will come off automatically, because you will find that it (the pressure) will no longer be necessary.

Often the player will not feel any difference in the amount of pressure being used as it slowly becomes less and less, which is another reason why you can't go by feel. So just use all you want.

Pressure has been given a bad rap for a long time by people who don't understand it. So, don't worry about it. You'll never use too much. You'll only use the amount that you believe you need in order to play. If you need to use a lot of pressure to play high it only means that your muscles haven't found their balance in the high register yet. So, what do you do?
................ Practice Caruso! : )
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i can say this...when i started doing LSL 2nds, it was so hard just to play g to a on the staff. i had to go back to doing LSL 6 notes because i just wasnt ready. now i am on lsl 3rds, and i can play everything under high a quite easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

continuing along, i am now on "week" 11 (since april 18th). i have a few concerns.

one is that i still falter with the harmonics. it seems that the problem is most prominent with g down to c and back to g. it feels like i have to "change" a lot of things, such as my air. i really dont know how to do it right...i feel like i have to sort of gliss from g to c and back up to get things right. should i be doing that?

then as i go up, i have a bad habit of blowing harder. the harder i blow as i continue up, the harder it is for the notes to sound. i have a hard time letting the lips ride the air. this only happens with the harmonics. it doesnt happen with the intervals.

also a question about intervals and the "schedule".
currently i have been doing it like this: ("this" being any day of the week)

6 notes up
8 notes down (i find this actually helps)
flexus preliminary study (starting on b going up to e, down to e, up to b, down to b, back up to b, in the fashion of the 6 note b-t-t)
intervals in 2nds
harmonics
sls 6ths
lsl 3rds
another interval (mon 3rds, tues 4ths, etc...sat major 7ths, sunday octaves)

should i not do 2 interval studies in one day? since there are 8 intervals and 7 days of the week, i just do 2nds every day and start the schedule on 3rds-octaves.

okay thats it.

i hope they fix this forum soon...
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS far as the harmonics go, you are worrying too much. Follow the four rules, do wyat you have to do to make the notes sound and go on. If you have to gliss, gliss, if you have to blow hard, blow hard, you will eventually find yourself riding the air. As far as the schedule goes, Charly has it somewhere in the getting started posts...

7ths in this table are minor 7ths
regular sls lsl
1) 2nds 4ths 6ths
2) 4ths 6ths 2nds
3 6th 2nds 4ths
4) 3rds 5ths 7th
5) 5th 7th 3rds
6) 7th 3rd 5th

On the seventh day, instead of resting you do major 7ths and octaves. Have my schedule tied to days of the week so that if I miss for some reason I just know that tuesday, say, start with regular 4ths etc. The major 7th octave day is strenuous and major 7ths are hard to hear while octaveves are easy. I save those for Sundays
J. Crowley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go crazy with long-tone excercises until recently. I'd do a Caruso 2nd. Maybe some Scholossberg long-tone stuff. Later I'd do the flexus Preliminary studies...etc....by the end of the day my tone would be distorted, like the air was leaking out two places inside the mouthpiece(tired lips i'm guessing) I'm trying to go easy on this stuff now. I've been using the Prelim. study to replace the 2nds...not sure If i'm supposed to do both, but doing the regular 2nds every day I felt like i was killin' myelf, partly because I was doing an hour of flexus a day too.
I'm starting at NYU in a week and a half (grad jazz performance), and I'm really looking forward to studying with Laurie Frink, she said all I have to do is arrange a time with her when I get there. Then I'll find out if what I've been doing is right.
J. Crowley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started with Laurie Frink last tuesday...been working on what she gave me and I feel a difference already. I can't wait to see where i'll be at by the end of the semester.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted & Say hi to Laurie from me.
J. Crowley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Everybody,
I've been studying with Laurie for about 3 weeks now, and I have to say she's been living up to my extremely high expectations. One thing i've been thinking about while I read this website is how hard it is to give/take advice from a website. I would share some of the things I've been doing but i'd worry that one man's medicine is another's poison. If there's one thing i've realized, it is the importance of having a good teacher who listens and observes your playing and then gives you specific things to practice, rather than one general prescription for everyone. I guess my concluding remark would be that the caruso stuff is great, but it is important to do the caruso stuff with a teacher who is familiar with it to get the full affect.
J. Crowley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have been studying with Laurie for almost a full semester...wow, I feel like i've gotton 10 times better. Those Lip bends(done correctly) work like Magic!!
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Crowley wrote:
have been studying with Laurie for almost a full semester...wow, I feel like i've gotton 10 times better. Those Lip bends(done correctly) work like Magic!!

i had a student doing stuff like that today, and he said to me later on in the lesson when we were working on lip flexibilities that he never realized how easy they were until just then. like they just "automatically happened" or something. and i was like, yup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: