• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Self-Conscious

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
didge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a firm believer in Caruso helping with Range and Endurance, but it is embarrassing practicing the interval studies at school! I know it is supposed to sound like a small farm animal dying as you reach your limit, but I get so self-conscious. I feel like I am not getting the full benefits because I back off and try to make it sound not so terrible. Can anybody relate?
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really need to find somewhere else to practice....or...practice something else!

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always preferred privacy when I practice anyway, but it is doubly important when doing the Caruso stuff. It doesn't SOUND good and probably never will. Hole up in a practice room and just play through it.

You're in pretty good company with those who have made these awful sounds before you.

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-03-30 11:06 ]
rudas1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didge,

Dude, dont be so worried about what other people are thinking about every note you play! (much easier said than done!) But really, If you are getting good benefits from doing it, who cares?! Its just the end of the the range exercises that peater out like that, anyway, the other exercises will eventually not sound THAT bad.

The Caruso exercises should be a relatively small fraction of your practice, anyway, so your collegues will hear you playing brilliantly on lots of other material, and when you are doing so with a really strong sound and range (as a result of doing the Caruso ex.) they will be asking you what the hell you have been practicing, and want to start doing Caruso themselves (no matter what it sounds like!)

Just my thoughts, no offense intended. I understand and sympathize. Yes, given the option, privacy is a good thing.

Take it easy-Todd
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always do Caruso at home, with the dog outside, heheh. I don't ever do them at band rehearsal unless I won't have time to do them at home. The band is used to hearing me hit unmusical sounds every once in a while. I just can't wait until we come back from summer break, as a trumpet player with huge sound, range, endurance, and great technique. Don't worry about what you sound like now, think about how good you will sound later.
Halfnote

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didge -
Just to reinforce what the others have already said, don't worry about what others think. You know that what you're doing will improve your playing and that's all that matters. Like Caruso himself says, "Play with abandon!" If anyone asks what you're doing just explain it to them. Don't expect them to understand, just do your thing. I never practiced in a public space until I got to University and it took me more than a year to get used to playing with not only other people around, but other players - some of whom were burning. You're right when you say you hinder your practice by holding back. So open up and let it fly. When you get on the bandstand and blow them away, then they'll understand. Keep at it, best of luck, The Halfnote.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-21 16:32 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: