• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Historical Trumpet Rosters for Major Symphony Orchestras

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

Thanks for the details about the Duisberger Philharmonic! I have included the information that you provided in the 52 Week Orchestra post here. Were you on a leave of absence between 2002 and 2006, or were these other players Co-Principals? I’ve seen Timothy Lawler’s name before in preparing these lists, but I can’t seem to find it on a TH search. Which orchestra did he move to after Duisberger?

Here’s what I have in our format:

Duisberger Philharmoniker
Principal Trumpet Players

Start-End________Name

1987-Current_______Roger Zacks
2005-2006_________Bruno Feldkircher
2004-2006_________Manuel Viehmann (substitute)
2002-2006_________Michael Lakota (substitute)
1980-1990_________Timothy Lawler (Co-Principal)
1980-1987_________Wolfgang Pohle (Co-Principal)
1977-1980_________Wolfgang Pohle
1973-1980_________Jan Vlieschouwer
1963-1973_________TBD
1956-1963_________Joseph Schmelzer
1935-1956_________TBD
1927-1935_________Klaus Retelsdorff
1921-1927_________Harry Königsberg
19??-1921_________TBD

Web Site: Duisburger Philharmoniker Trumpet Players

Current roster for 2007-2008:
Roger Zacks - Principal
Carl Anderson
David Crist
Ralf Martel

Return to the Table of Contents
for the Project:
Historical Trumpet Sections of
Major Symphony Orchestras

When was the orchestra founded? I’m guessing before 1921 but it’s hard for me to find the date on the orchestra’s web site (1877 / 1908 / 1903 ????) because I can’t understand the language.
tptfrbrains
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, I'm really going to have to do some homework for this, and I'm a bit ashamed that I don't have better answers for you now. The orchestra is over 125 years old now, founded in 1877. We've had conductors like Richard Strauss, Paul Hindemith, Carl Schuricht, Max Reger, Hans Pfitzner, Aaram Chatschaturjan and Bruno Walter as conductors, and Eugen Jochum was General Music Director, although none of this during my tenure.

Although I don't know if I can get actual rosters since its inception, I can provide accurate rosters for the entire group since 1987, when I started.
I only took a one year leave of abscence, in 2005-2006 to ty out being a university professor. I've been here all the other years.
Tim Lawler moved to Canada with his wife Joan, who works in arts administration, and does not play in an orchestra anymore.

r.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

Strauss and Hindemith as conductors! Wow! Did Strauss premier any of his works with Duisberger? Every time I ask questions about an orchestra that I’m unfamiliar with, I always find something unexpected, which makes this project very fun.

Did you join the orchestra as Co-Principal when Wolfgang Pohle left in 1987? Were there Co-Prinicipal’s before 1980? Why did they choose to have Co-Principals (workload?) (are you also associated with an Opera)? Were the substitutes (I’m assuming they were covering Principal duties) brought in to help with a demanding season(s)?

When I was working on the Vienna Philharmonic I contacted the ONB (Musiksammlung der Österreichischen Nationalbibliothek in Vienna) and the research person that helped me was exceptional. If you have a library like this in your town, they may have archive information available. If you are interested in a field trip to gather some historical information about your orchestra, it would be very cool to see what you can find.

After I had worked with the Met Archive department to gather names and dates, I decided it would be interesting to have some pictures to go along with the project. There were just a couple of pictures available of players in the trumpet section, and when I posted one of these pictures on TH, poochie told Joe Alessi about the photo that I found of his Dad. Joe went next door and got a copy of that photo (apparently it was one that he had never seen before)! I thought that was great!

If you’d rather just send me a name of a contact point, I can ask questions as well, but I’m all for having you dig into the details (the language barrier is really difficult sometimes).

Thanks!
tptfrbrains
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek,
Wow! lots of questions. I'll try to answer them in the order in which you asked:
Strauss never premiered a work here. I'll have to find out what he and Hindemith conducted.
I was Wolfgang Pohle's successor, and the co-Principal position was created in 1980 simply because of the workload - up to 10 and sometimes 12 services a week, with lots of repertoire.
We are a symphony orchestra that is also the orchestra of the Deutsche Oper am Rhein, one of the largest opera companies in the world. We do a symphony series (5-6 rehearsals, 2 or 3 concerts) every three weeks on the average, with the other two weeks opera, usually a different one each night, and a new production being rehearsed in the morning. The opera repertoire is somewhere between 35 and 50 operas, depending on the season.
The subs, or acting principals were brought in to fill the duties when Tim Lawler left the orchestra. The first full-time co-Principal we had after Tim left was Bruno Feldkircher for the 2005-2006 season - ironically, when I was in Canada trying to act like a professor.
I'll have some more accurate dates for the group soon.

r.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

Alright, I’m blown away at your workload. I went to the Deutsche Oper am Rhein web site to see what you have on the schedule for next month (April) and literally everyday is a performance. Eugene Onegin, Tosca, Peter and the Wolf (do you cover the Ballets too?), and so many others that I can’t read or am unfamiliar with.

I know the Met has a huge workload, but they have 5 players and you only show 4 players on your roster. Do you have to play every show, or do you share the responsibilities with others in your section?

35-50 operas per season and a major symphonic works every 3 weeks. 10-12 services per week. Wow! How big is the Opera Hall (2000-3000)? How big is Duisburg? Sorry for all the questions, but I’m just fascinated at how rich a musical culture Germany has (100+ 52 week orchestras in the country). For comparison, Phoenix Metro (about 3.5 million) has one major orchestra and 3-5 smaller orchestras. We have an opera company, but it only does maybe 6-8 productions per year. We live in very different places!
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a PM today and discovered that the LPO has a new web site and I though I’d update this orchestra. Original details about the research that was done for this ensemble is from this folder.

New Orleans Symphony / Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra

Start-End________Name

1999-Current_______Vance Woolf
1993-1999_________Cheryl Hollinger
1990-1993_________Paul Merkelo
Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra reorganized (1990)
New Orleans Symphony Disbanded (1989)
1989-1989_________Paul Merkelo
1988-1989_________Mary Weber
1977-1988_________Paul Randall
1969-1977_________Norman Smith
1963-1969_________Donald Tison
1961-1963_________Paul Oman
1960-1961_________???
1958-1960_________Thomas Wohlwender
1953-1958_________Gilbert Johnson
1946-1953_________Mr. Jenkins (End date?)
1944-1946_________Gilbert Mitchell
19??-1944_________Hans Kelter
19??-19??_________???

Web Site: Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra Trumpet Section

Current roster for the 2008-2009 Season:
Vance Woolf – Principal Trumpet
Matthew Ernest – Associate Principal
Ben Budish
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattyB,

I’ve done some work on the Australian Orchestras already. This folder is so big that it’s probably hard to find it, but here is what I have to date:

Sydney Symphony with input from Daniel Mendelow

Australian Opera & Ballet Orchestra with input from Brian Evans

Not Australia, but in the neighborhood: New Zealand Symphony Orchestra

Melbourne Symphony Orchestra

I haven’t started the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra.

It’s been quite a while since I’ve actively worked on this project, but I do appreciate your input!
MattyB

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek,

Looks great! The only suggestion I suggest (if you haven't already as I only did skim read at this time in the morning) is that Tristram is no longer with the orchestra. His Associate position has yet to be advertised/filled.

I glad to see Brian Evans helped, he was my first ever teacher, a lovely guy.

All the best and if you'd like my help, let me know.

MattyB
Schilke C/D modification
Harrelson Flugelhorn (custom)
Conn 1948 Copper Cornet
MP: Monettes Prana B6, FLG-88, BLM
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clarification on the start date for Vance Woolf (started in January 2000). Original details about the research that was done for this ensemble is from this folder.

New Orleans Symphony / Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra

Start-End________Name

2000-Current_______Vance Woolf
1993-1999_________Cheryl Hollinger
1990-1993_________Paul Merkelo
Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra reorganized (1990)
New Orleans Symphony Disbanded (1989)
1989-1989_________Paul Merkelo
1988-1989_________Mary Weber
1977-1988_________Paul Randall
1969-1977_________Norman Smith
1963-1969_________Donald Tison
1961-1963_________Paul Oman
1960-1961_________???
1958-1960_________Thomas Wohlwender
1953-1958_________Gilbert Johnson
1946-1953_________Mr. Jenkins (End date?)
1944-1946_________Gilbert Mitchell
19??-1944_________Hans Kelter
19??-19??_________???

Web Site: Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra Trumpet Section

Vance Woolf – Principal Trumpet
Matthew Ernest – Associate Principal
Ben Budish
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vance Woolf provided updated information for the NZSO. Thanks for your help Vance!

New Zealand Symphony Orchestra

Start-End________Name

1996-Current_______Michael Kirgan
1992-1996_________John Taber
1987-1992_________Stanley Friedman
19??-1987_________Albert "Fuzzy" Mackinnon
19??-19??_________Derek Lockhart
1947-19??_________TBD

Web Site: New Zealand Symphony Orchestra Trumpet Section

Michael Kirgan – Principal Trumpet
Cheryl Hollinger – Associate Principal
Mark Carter – Sub-Principal
Tom Moyer – Sub-Principal

References:
NZSO Section Picture reference
Derek Lockhart reference
Stanley Friedman reference
NZSO recorded the soundtrack for Lord of the Rings
NZSO contact information
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the blue, I received a message from a violinist from the Royal Opera House who was married to one of the trumpet players. See stumbled upon our lists here and forwarded the questions to Ian Brown (Section Principal with the ROH Orchestra). Here are the messages that he sent me along with the updated list for the ROH Orchestra. I think this ensemble is now complete!

Dear Derek

I've been passed some email correspondence by Jacqui Miles about your project concerning trumpet players - in particular principals - at the Royal Opera House here in London.

I thought I might be able to help by confirming what I can and giving you some more information.

Firstly my name is Ian Brown and I am currently the Section Principal Trumpet with the orchestra, together with Ian Balmain, it being a shared position. I joined the orchestra in 1980 as a co-principal. We then had 5 players in the section with one principal, Harry Dilley and two co-principals, myself (I took over from Paul Archibald) and John Hardy. The co-principal role then was to share the first trumpet chair, take responsibility for the first cornet parts (e.g. Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Romeo and Juliet ballets and Otello, Don Carlos operas) and the 'D' trumpet parts (e.g. Peter Grimes, Billy Budd) as well as 'float' when required - very much in line with what happens in a symphony orchestra. John Hardy usually took the cornet parts, with me taking the first trumpet and D tpt parts.

When Harry Dilley stepped down after many years in the chair the section was brought into line with all other sections in the orchestra and a joint principal position created (giving a 6 player section for a decade or so - although that is now down to 5 again!). James Watson joined us and I took the joint position. John Hardy was made Principal Cornet/ D trumpet.

That situation still exists today, although the printed job titles, currently 'Section Principal', 'Principal', 'Sub-Principal' have been altered over the years with contract changes etc.

From what I can see the names and dates you received from Julia Creed in her July email are pretty accurate for Principals. Harry was the principal for many years and did carry on playing with us for a couple of years when he stepped down, well into his 70’s (!) - Very much a Bud Herseth figure! (Harry unfortunately passed away last year). I don't know David Mason's dates, but he was subsequently principal trumpet with the Philharmonia Orchestra (and is, as you may know, the Beatles' 'Penny Lane' trumpet). Prior to David I'm afraid I don't know.

Malcolm Smith (previously BBC Concert Orchestra, London Symphony) joined when Jim Watson departed.

Ian Balmain joined us from the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, replacing Malcolm Smith, who tragically died suddenly.

The current line up is Ian Balmain, Ian Brown (Section Principals), John Hardy (Principal), David Carstairs (Sub-Principal). Ruth Shaddock left us a few years ago and we are currently trialing for her replacement.

Other members over the years I've been there have been Ray Allen, Peter Reeve, Iaan Wilson. We also have a great team of 'regular' extra players to cover stage bands and fill-ins when we need them.

I hope this helps and is of interest! If you would like some more info then please get back to me and I'll see what I can do.

Best wishes

Ian Brown

Hello Derek

Thanks for your email. Sorry for the delay in replying.

Dates - I've asked other long(er) serving members of the orchestra and the best we can come up with is that the dates for Harry Dilley are as you've been given by Julia Creed i.e. 1955-83, retiring from playing altogether a few years after that. Personally I don't think that seems to be enough years....! Harry was invited to the position by Beecham after a USA tour with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. David mason was before Harry but I can't confirm a start date. Before that I'm afraid I don't know. I'm surprised our archives can't give you more exact/ detailed information. John Hardy started 1975, as you know, and is still with us, continuing in a Principal role of 1st cornet and D tpt. As I said, the job descriptions changed - around the late '90s, early '00s due to significant contract changes, negotiated after a 2-3 year major closure and refurbishment of the Opera House itself. In general I think what was previously termed co-principal was renamed principal throughout the orchestra e.g. cor anglais, contra bassoon, bass trombone etc.

During the closure we went into smaller London theatres. The orchestra also undertook various tours in its own right, including a USA tour where we started in the west in Orange County, going to Las Vegas then on to Florida and ending up in Washington and New York. Before that we'd given a season at the Met. All great fun!

Again, I hope this is of use and interest.

Best wishes Ian Brown

The Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

Start-End_______Name

2003-Current_______Ian Balmain (Section Principal)
1980-Current_______Ian Brown (Section Principal)
1990-1999_________Malcolm Smith (Section Principal)
1983-1990_________James Watson (Section Principal)
1978-1980_________Paul Archibald (Co-Principal)
1975-1983_________John Hardy (Co-Principal) (1983-Current – 1st Cornet, D Trumpet)
1958-1963_________Elgar Howarth
1955-1983_________Harry Dilley
194?-1954_________David Mason
1946-194?_________W. Rushworth

2008-2009 Section
Ian Balmain - Section Principal
Ian Brown - Section Principal
John Hardy - Principal
Vacant (Trials to Select New Player)
David Carstairs – Sub Principal
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the post that the CSO is the Top US Orchestra and reviewing the International Orchestras that appeared on this list, I thought I should include those “top” groups that haven’t yet been listed in this folder.

6. Bavarian Radio Symphony

Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks (Bavarian Radio Symphony) Trumpet Section

Hannes Läubin (Principal - as guest)
N.N.
Wolfgang Läubin
Thomas Kiechle
Herbert Zimmermann
Louis Groß (Orchestra Academy)

9. Budapest Festival Orchestra

Czeglédi Zsolt
Horváth Bence
Komlóssy Gábor
Póti Tamás
Tóth Zoltán

14. Mariinsky Theatre Orchestra

Mariinsky Theatre Orchestra Trumpet Section

Sergei Kryuchkov, Honoured Artist of Russia, Soloist
Gennady Nikonov, Soloist
Vasily Kan, Honoured Artist of Russia, Soloist
Konstantin Baryshev, Soloist
Vitaly Zaitsev, Soloist
Gennady Kuteev, Soloist
Vyacheslav Panasiuk, Second trumpet, second cornet
Igor Kravtsov, Second trumpet
Alexander Smirnov, Second trumpet

WOW! Nine Players!

15. Russian National Orchestra

Russian National Orchestra Trumpet Section

Trumpets
Vladislav Lavrik, Principal
Leonid Korkin
Andrei Kolokolov
Gennady Komarov

19. Saito Kinen Symphony Orchestra

Saito Kinen Symphony Orchestra website

The orchestra is active only two months of the year. All but two or three of its members -- soloists, chamber musicians, and orchestral players -- are former students of Saito's and graduates of the Toho School in Tokyo; they assemble annually from all over the world to rehearse and tour.

Ikebe Jun
Hard to find who the players who are in this orchestra!
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niels,

Congratulations on your new position with the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra! I was looking through some older posts and found a start to the SPO list of principals as well as the current section. I went to the website (which is now very easy to navigate and in English!), and found the current section shown for 2008-2009 (which I have shown below). Who is leaving the section?

Jeff,

At the time I put this list together, I showed you as Principal. When did Gareth join the section? Were you able to discover the names of any former principal players before Jee-Hwa Lee? Please let me know and I’ll update the list.

Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra

Start-End_________Name

2006–Current_______Jeffrey Holbrook
2005-2006_________Paul Jeffrey
1990-2005_________Jee-Hwa Lee
1948–1990_________TBD

Current Roster for the 2008-2009 Season
Gareth Flowers - Principal
Jeffrey Holbrook – Associate Principal
Yung Il Lim – Associate Principal
Young-Hwan Lee
Dr. Alan S. Altman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: correct name Reply with quote

Please accept my apology for this if already posted. but I believe that both Gene Blee and Marie Speziale will bear this out.

Eugene E. Blee's predecessor in Cincinnati was H. Wholgemuth, yes, but I believe that his first name was Helmut, not Heinrich as stated both on this site as well as the ITG journal.

In Professor Blee's studio at the old South Hall of CCM were manny photographs (not as many as Ernest Glover's accross the hall, of course), and the one of Wholgemuth distictly said Helmut by the signature (as well as Blee's manny reference's to him as such).
Graduate Teacher Education Program
Nova Southeastern University
Miami, Fl. 33183
954-262-3417
aalan@nova.edu
aaltman@dadeschools.net
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan. I'll look into and make the appropriate changes. I appreciate you double checking the lists for errors!
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

I did some digging and found some information about “H” Wohlgemuth. In this photo (I can’t remember where I found this), it shows his Americanized first name as Henry:

I also did a search and found him listed in the 1930 US Census (Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio):
They show him as “Harry” Wohlgemuth. He was born in about 1891 in Germany and was married to Ella Wohlgemuth. Occupation: Musician; Industry: Orchestra.

1930 US Census.

I think I’ll show him as Helmuth “Henry” Wohlgemuth in our lists. That seems to make the most sense based on your input. Thanks for your help!
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a message in to the Oregon Symphony for details about Principal players prior to Fred Sautter. When I hear back from them, I’ll update our list.

Oregon Symphony

Start-End_______Name

2006-Current_______Jeffrey Work
1968-2006_________Fred Sautter
1896-1969_________TBD

2009-2010 Section
Jeffrey Work – Principal Trumpet
David Bamonte – Assistant Principal
Micah Wilkinson – 3rd Trumpet
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the article by Stephan Cooper about the San Francisco Symphony and was able to add Joyce Johnson-Hamilton to this list for the Oregon Symphony based on the bio information for her on Page 38:

Oregon Symphony

Start-End_______Name

1965-1968_________Joyce Johnson-Hamilton
1896-1965_________TBD

2009-2010 Section
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Allan Dean and got a message back a few days ago about his time in the Brooklyn Philharmonic. Very interesting reading! I believe that we now have this ensemble completed (at least all of the Principal players).

The most recent section that I have is from 2005-2006. Can anyone verify who the current section is (the web site doesn’t list the orchestra members)?

Thanks!

Brooklyn Philharmonic

Start-End________Name

2003-Current_______James Stubbs
1970-2003_________Wilmer Wise
1966-1970_________Allan Dean
1954-1966_________Murray Karpilovsky

Web Site: Brooklyn Philharmonic

Current roster for 2005-2006:
James Stubbs - Principal
Wayne du Maine
Rich Clymer

Names and dates in this list provided by Wilmer Wise, Henry Nowak, Neil Balm, Bob Haley, Wayne du Maine, David Krauss, and Ed Carroll

Return to the Table of Contents
for the Project:
Historical Trumpet Sections of
Major Symphony Orchestras

Brooklyn Philharmonic Trumpet Section

Season.......Principal Tpt....Trumpet..............Trumpet

2005-2006....James Stubbs....Wayne du Maine.....Rich Clymer
2004-2005....James Stubbs....Wayne du Maine.....Rich Clymer
2003-2004....James Stubbs....Wayne du Maine.....Rich Clymer
2002-2003....Wilmer Wise......James Stubbs........Wayne du Maine
2001-2002....Wilmer Wise......James Stubbs........Wayne du Maine
2000-2001....Wilmer Wise......James Stubbs........Neil Balm-Wayne du Maine
1999-2000....Wilmer Wise......James Stubbs........du Maine, Hoyt, Dent, Batchelder, Steve Ametrano
(Mahler 2 Concert: Wilmer, Jim Stubbs, Don Batchelder, David Krauss, Tino)
1998-1999....Wilmer Wise......TBD.......................Neil Balm
1997-1998....Wilmer Wise......Phil Ruecktenwald...Neil Balm
1996-1997....Wilmer Wise......Phil Ruecktenwald...Neil Balm
1995-1996....Wilmer Wise......Phil Ruecktenwald...Neil Balm
1994-1995....Wilmer Wise......Phil Ruecktenwald...Neil Balm
1993-1994....Wilmer Wise......Phil Ruecktenwald...Neil Balm
1992-1993....Wilmer Wise......Phil Ruecktenwald...Neil Balm
1991-1992....Wilmer Wise......Phil Ruecktenwald...Neil Balm
1990-1991....Wilmer Wise......Phil Ruecktenwald...Neil Balm
1989-1990....Wilmer Wise......Phil Ruecktenwald...Neil Balm
1988-1989....Wilmer Wise......Phil Ruecktenwald...Neil Balm
1987-1988....Wilmer Wise......Phil Ruecktenwald...Neil Balm
1986-1987....Wilmer Wise......Phil Ruecktenwald...Neil Balm
1985-1986....Wilmer Wise......Edward Carroll.......Neil Balm
1984-1985....Wilmer Wise......Edward Carroll.......Neil Balm
1983-1984....Wilmer Wise......Edward Carroll.......Neil Balm
1982-1983....Wilmer Wise......Edward Carroll.......Neil Balm
1981-1982....Wilmer Wise......Edward Carroll.......Neil Balm
1980-1981....Wilmer Wise......Edward Carroll.......Neil Balm
1979-1980....Wilmer Wise......Edward Carroll.......Henry Nowak....Wynton Marsalis
1978-1979....Wilmer Wise......Edward Carroll......TBD
1977-1978....Wilmer Wise......Edward Carroll......TBD
1976-1977....Wilmer Wise......TBD.....................TBD
1975-1976....Wilmer Wise......TBD.....................TBD
1974-1975....Wilmer Wise......TBD.....................TBD
1973-1974....Wilmer Wise......TBD.....................TBD
1972-1973....Wilmer Wise......TBD.....................TBD
1971-1972....Wilmer Wise......Allan Dean...........TBD
1970-1971....Wilmer Wise......Allan Dean...........TBD
1966-1970....Allan Dean.................Robert Summers......TBD
1964-1966....Murray Karpilovsky.....Allan Dean...............TBD
1954-1964....Murray Karpilovsky.....TBD........................TBD
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a message from Ed (Acapulco, Mexico) who studied with players from the OSO. He told me that Jim Smith was the principal until 1965 and Chuch Bradford was the Co-Principal. He also mentioned that Dick Thornburg (a student of Jim Smith was also a member of the trumpet section, I believe in the 1970s).

Thanks for your help Ed!

Oregon Symphony

Start-End_______Name

1965-1968_________Joyce Johnson-Hamilton
19??-1965_________Jim Smith
19??-19??_________Chuck Bradford (Co-Principal)
1896-19??_________TBD

2009-2010 Section
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: