• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

UCF Trumpet Fest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: UCF Trumpet Fest Reply with quote

I was never familiar with Stamp until Saturday. The UCF Trumpet Fest featured speakers were Gary Radtke, Bert Truax and Jon Lewis. Man, this was some very interesting and inspiring stuff. Gary was very technical about his mouthpieces, but it all seemed to make sense. He should be commended for bringing mouthpiece specs into a clear light. Bert Truax made everything seem so easy. The "Lock and Blow" that he preaches is a very easy way to understand embouchure. I feel it will really help me. Just in practicing yesterday I could feel the lips buzz much more freely and easily. I told Bert that I tend to play with a smirk- left corner down and right corner up. He said that this would fix that problem. So far it feels dramatically different and easier to produce a very clear, beautiful sound. Jon Lewis told stories of his studio playing on what seemed to be a list of every major motion picture ever produced since 1985. He also studied with Stamp and told us how he stays focused both physically and mentally. The concert at night was really unbelievable. Bert and Jon were fabulous. The UCF wind ensemble was top notch. This experience was nothing short of phenomenal- great musicians and great people. What a way to be introduced to Stamp.
Doug
StevenPSparks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep!
It was time well spent (and worth getting up at the bust of day for to make the drive). I about fell out of my chair when Jon Lewis buzzed his MP, and when he pulled it away from his lips, the pitch remained constant!!! Off & on he went a couple of times, and then free-buzzed ascending up & out of the staff. Man, that guy's got CHOPS!
Truax is indeed a motivational teacher (and a great player), and Gary Radtke's Seminar was VERY enlightening. His years spent studying his craft are evident.
Lastly, all 3 of the clinicians were just real nice guys. It was a good day.
ps: Thanks to John Almeida (great player, as well) & UCF for allowing us to use their facilities.

"I'm older now, so don't be a blowhard"
¦\___oTTT_____
¦/ (__o¦¦¦o__)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: