• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A&D Ointment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amuk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: A&D Ointment? Reply with quote

More than several years have gone by since this topic had it's last posting and I'm curious how many are still using it.
Until lately, I would occasionally use it at the end of a practice and it would seem to help me unwind from any bad twisting of the mouthpiece that I got into while playing the music I was using.
Lately, I've been playing a lot of music that's moderately high and fortissimo at my band practices. Next day, my lips are stiff and unresponsive.
A&D seems to be helping me out there by playing Arban's duets to make things work better. Anyone with this kind of experience??
Mac Gollehon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember an early morning jingle date in the winter probably 1983 playing next to legendary studio player Joe Shepley and he said he had put A&D ointment on for chapped lips the night before and said “it was sending him a stiff message.” I used it a couple times in cold weather until Clark Terry saw me with it on on and said “why do have grease on your mouth?” So that was the last I used it.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A&D Ointment? Reply with quote

amuk wrote:
More than several years have gone by since this topic had it's last posting and I'm curious how many are still using it.
Until lately, I would occasionally use it at the end of a practice and it would seem to help me unwind from any bad twisting of the mouthpiece that I got into while playing the music I was using.
Lately, I've been playing a lot of music that's moderately high and fortissimo at my band practices. Next day, my lips are stiff and unresponsive.
A&D seems to be helping me out there by playing Arban's duets to make things work better. Anyone with this kind of experience??

The only thing I have used on my lips for chapped lips has been A&D ointment . . . since 1978. I absolutely have played with A&D on my chops and it has never had a negative effect on my chops or my playing.

I don't care what Clark Terry said, A&D Ointment is the best answer for chapped lips I have ever found, and I did try many things pre-Reinhardt (before June of 1978).

For stiff and unresponsive lips? Maybe a slower warm-up . . . baby it in instead of knocking it in. I also find a preliminary warm-up session long before the start of my "usual" playing day helps set things up better.

And "twisting" did you say? Doc Reinhardt always discouraged any form of "twisting" (or winding up). A&D during the practice session might help keep the chops from "grabbing" onto the mouthpiece and that could help prevent a certain amount of "twisting."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: