• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Zeus: How Are They?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had three Bb trumpets at the same time. A Zues G, a Yammie and a vintage '63 Olds. Each horn played WAY different than each other when using the same mpc. By experimenting with mpcs, I could get the horns to all play alike, to my preferences. But each horn needed a different mpc to get there. Well, I hate switching mpcs, so I decided on the best mpc and then chose the trumpet to go with it. That may seem unorthodox to some but it worked for me.

Moral of the story. There has to be a balance between player, mpc and horn. If you have that and take your mpc to try out another horn, you may not have the balance and the horn seems to be a dog. It's dumb to say a horn was bad, especially the levels of horns being discussed here, because most likely the parameters are not consistent skewing the results. One is only going to pick the horn that is balanced with his/her set up. (existing player/mpc)
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Michael, it may be a fine instrument, but it's the "karma" associated with it that turns me off. In my opinion, there are just too many instruments and choices out there to buy a brand that has been marketed with such negativity. Seems like the first thing you should do is wipe the sleaze off when you pull it out of the case. I briefly considered trying one, but digging through the archives and reading comments by the "manufacturer" convinced me that it wasn't the way to go.

And that's your prerogative. Many others believe it is the actual horn they are buying, not the karma of its creator...

I cannot fathom completely disregarding an instrument just because its creator or marketer was a jackass. When I buy vintage horns, I have *NO* idea who the personnel of the company were at the time the horn was created. Who cares? The president of Conn in the 1940s might have been a Nazi sympathizer for all I know; what does that matter?

If a horn is good, it's good. If it sucks, it sucks. Regardless of the politics or personality surrounding it.

-Dan
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think one reason I prefer the Zeus over Bach is because it is extremely versatile. I can play with the symphony then walk in a play the same horn with power for lead work. I can't pop double C's on a Bach 37.

OK, but you can on a Zeus? Why isn't this used as a sales pitch?

Can't play a double C on a Bach??? Pick up a ZEUS, you'll be popping out those Double C's in no time!!!!

Seriously, dealers like Zeusfan make me not want to give Zeus horns a second look.
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I say that I couldn't play "double C's"

NO!!! I said that I couldn't pop "double C's". There is no prescence on a 37 for me. Plus I don't play trash trumpets like Bach (opinion). There is a little thing in the trumpet world called "tone". I like to have in every range on my horn and the Zeus is the only horn that I have found to give me that. Maybe you can on another horn or maybe you have no tone (opinion). Just don't attack me from behind a computer and not be able to give an account of your playing ability.

Also, for those of you that won't play Zeus because of dealers like me, that is good for you. Restrict your playing by being close-minded (opinion).

Zeus Olympus
Zeus Guarnerius Bb
Zeus Guarnerius C
2 antique Bach 37's that sit at the house

"If you are still talking about what you did yesterday, you didn't do jack today"
cybersnyder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, for those of you that won't play Zeus because of dealers like me, that is good for you. Restrict your playing by being close-minded (opinion).

Don't compliment yourself. You really need to turn up the heat in the offensiveness of your posts if you want to be like your mentor. I hardly think the ZeuS is the be all and end all in trumpet design. Somehow I think the trumpet world will survive without playing a ZeuS. You're really starting to sound like an Amway salesman though.
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reply! I had so much fun reading it. I hope you continue writing such insightful replies. (fact)
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! Well in that case, I must be very close-minded!!! That's my choice though.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh, you don't play Zeus because you are having an affair with Bach, not because of me (you know it's true). You have seen that I'm not as bad privately as my bark on the forum.

Zeus Olympus
Zeus Guarnerius Bb
Zeus Guarnerius C

"If you are still talking about what you did yesterday, you didn't do jack today"
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Of course ... I meant no disrespect at all. I was merely agreeing as for some reason I can not look past a great Bach Strad. I have owned some very fine horns over the last couple years of which I have since sold. These included the likes of a Callet Jazz, Wild Thing, Yammie Xeno, etc. I sold them all though cause none of them seemed to have the sound I was looking for.

However, recently I did own a B&S 3137 2GB that sounded amazing and played the same as well. Why oh Why did I sell that horn?!?!? It was worth every penny I paid for it and then some. I'll tell you why I sold it though .... it's only cause it did not say the words "Bach Stradivarius" on the bell. That's how insanely brainwashed I am on my Bb and C trumpets. So, for that reason, I was merely agreeing that I am closed-minded towards other similar horns.

I am truly happy with my horns and have no regrets whatsoever with them at all!! They are great and play very very well for me. I am sure many say the same about Zeus instruments as well as other makers. If I weren't 100% satisfied with my equipment, then I would have reason to search for other alternatives such as yours. I just don't have that need, and others that posted in dispute to you might feel the same.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably a mistake, but what the heck... it's late and I've had too much coffee.

I remember reading Zeusfan's first post a few weeks back....

"new trumpets

Zeusfan

Posted: 2004-03-16 20:32   
I just played the new Zeus horns today and they are incredible. The best horns that I have ever played. I have owned plenty of great horns. I have two Bachs and two Schilkes a B1 and X3 and the Zeus soars above them all. I would like to know what anyone's input is on the subject (negative or positive)"

I thought... we are about to get a promo from Alex or an Alex clone. I'm still not sure which it is. I knew it right then. And, a few short days later, Zeusfan declares that he is now a Zeus dealer. NO... SHOCKING... REALLY... MY, MY, MY. I never would have guessed. Who'd a thunk it.

Well anyway... I really don't think that any of the folks here who love good trumpets, and adore and lust after great ones, are closed minded in the least. If any of us could walk into our favorite store, where there are many different brands and sales personel whose job it is to serve the customer and help the customer find the right trumpet for him, and try out the Zeus line, then we probably would. We see a new horn hanging on the wall, man, we are going to give it a look. That's who we are. But, I and many like me, will walk away when faced with attitudes and methods which we find disagreable.

With Zeus trumpets, we seem to have nowhere to go. Many of us find the Zeus method of promotion unattractive and we can not try and buy Zeus products unless we deal directly with the Zeus owner/dealer network and the attitude that seems to be a common denominator in the Zeus organization.

Now if Zeus was making a truly unique or uniquely wonderful product, we all might overlook all that we find distasteful in the name of an overwhelming desire to own the absolute best. But, in fact, what we are talking about is a "good horn for the money". Maybe even very good. Perhaps that's not enough to get folks to ignore what is found to be unpleasant.

If I were in sales management and my sales force was inspiring the kind of responses that I have read hear over the past several months or more when Alex and others have promoted their products.... Well in the words of The Donald... "Your fired" would be my my cry.

So, it really, at least in my case, is not a closed attitude toward the trumpet. They look pretty. They apparently sound good to very good and some of the folks that have tried seem to like 'em and might buy them.... but the folks that are selling them just don't know how to make many of us want to buy. In fact, it seems to go the other way.

I just don't get it. Here we are, all trumpet players, all obsessed with the search for another great horn. I mean, jeez. HELLO. The bus load of trumpet players is parked at the curb. Give 'em all a beer, make 'em happy and let's get out there and show 'em how great this old trumpet sounds. Get 'em on your side, make them feel like your on their side and let 'em try these babies out and they will sell themselves. (If they are as good as Zeus dealers say they are)

But,I say to myself, "Would I buy a trumpet from this guy or from these folks?" And, so far it's, "No."

And let's say you are right. CLOSED MINDS. Well, you're the Zeus dealer. You're the Zeus representative, trying to sell the product that you believe in. It's your job to open our minds. Invite us in, get us off the bus and into your store and make us comfortable. Sit us down and show us your Bach and your Schilke and then pull out your Zeus and take us along on the journey that you went on. Make us feel the glow you felt when you heard yourself on the mighty Zeus. But you got to get us off the bus.

In the great Muddy Waters blues song "Down to Louisiana" he makes goin' back home sound so damned good that harmonica monster, Little Walter Jacobs, cries out in the middle of his solo...."Man...take me wit' you when you go!!!"

Well I would suggest that the folks who manufacture, distribute and represent the Zeus products might try to make us want to "go' instead of making us want to "leave".

[ This Message was edited by: supportlivejazz on 2004-04-03 23:25 ]
stukvalve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

play whatever you want, you bunch of frickin geeks. a good player can make a piece of junk sound good.

matzentrpt@hotmail.com
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful thoughts! However that marketing scheme is marketing for every other trumpet brand out there. Zeus is selling more horns (percentage wise) than all the other companies. Zeus is the most talked about trumpet out right now. I can't keep my own horn in my hands, because people are buying and playing my horns all the time. The upcoming shipment of Zeus Olympus trumpets are already 50% sold. I also am very aware that Alex scares some people off by his marketing, but he will go above and beyond the call of duty to make certain that you are 110% satisfied with his product.

You may have not been in sales before, I don't know, but if a method of selling is working for you, there is no reason to switch. You could "fire me" but, you are posting on a strictly Zeus thread that is almost 6 pages long. There are tons of people talking about these horns and playing Zeus horns. I guarantee that the next time you are at a horn show, and a Zeus dealer is there, you can't walk past the table without wanting to try a horn. The marketing may make you want to "leave" as you said, but I feel certain that you will try a Zeus as soon as you get the opportunity.

Zeus Olympus
Zeus Guarnerius Bb
Zeus Guarnerius C

Zeusfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stukvalve- a good player CAN make a piece of junk sound good, but a good player can sound even better on a Zeus.

Also, we aren't talking about junk. We are posting about pro-line horns and only 3rd part players say lines like that.

Why the personal attacks? I am far from a geek. That just hurts my feelings!
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeusfan.... your last post was an improvement. I just felt a bit less put off. And, I was in sales for quite a long time.

But, I repeat. The hostility that is generated toward the sales pitch that has appeared here is not imagined. And, in my world, hostility might get folks talking and it might keep the topic alive and at the top of the forum list, but, the object is to create positive buzz.

Anyway, I have no more to say on this. I do appreciate the tone of your last post and if a Zeus trumpet comes my way, I expect I'll try it. Thanks.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
alwyswinn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the sentiment here interesting horn almost bought one until i saw what kind of people I would be dealing with. The Getzen guy doesn't have the problem that Zues dealers do maybe there is a reason for that??? He creates a fuzzy warm feeling when you see him doing what he can to answer questions and maintains a professional demeanor throughout his posts. He never asks any one to prove they are a trumpet player, he just does what he can to help. I think i might look into doing business with such a man. I too see that in some cases zeus reps have been unfairly and rudely attacked I suggest you ignore those posts and they would eventually stop as they only do it to see you make a fool of yourself (speaking of Zeusfan and stating an opinion in relation to what i have read here not attacking you in any way i'm sure in most situations you are quite intelligent) over 5 or 6 pages. Yes you got a 6 page thread that has convinced at least one more person not to play a Zeus no one wants to ask you if they are good enough to try one of your special horns. Oh well I predicted this thread would go this way and it did if i was the Zues dealer that responded it wouldn't have, yes I too have 10 years of sales experience and most of it managing a successful sales staff. Good luck. Maybe that school of yours has a Public relations or human resources course you could take. One last thought if you are selling these things like hotcakes purposely being difficult and rude just think how they would sell if you weren't I took my business elsewhere and bought a horn in the same price range just because of the numerous threads like this one on this forum. Think about it others have stated the same opinion. This is not an attack just some advice by one of your potential customers integrity is still important to me skills and knowledge are great but it can be found without the attitude so why would anyone tolerate it??? Would you?
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeusfan, no need to throw your drama at me my friend. I'm not attacking you at all, I just think you're doing harm to the business of selling Zeus horns (opinion)
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is, I'm in the market for a new horn, and I had actually considered trying out a Zeus, but after seeing the type of people I could potentially be dealing with, I've decided to give it a pass. To me, integrity, honesty, and a sincere willingness to help are very important when choosing an investment such as a musical instrument.

I can imagine a scenario where a new Zeus customer has a problem:

"Customer: I'm having a problem with the tuning on this A note

Zeus Dealer: Well, are you sure you're proplerly playing the note?

C: Um....yes.

ZD: Are you even a real trumpet player?

C: Of course

ZD: Well, prove it.....

C: OK, I want my money back. I'm gonna buy a Kanstul

ZD: Well fine, if you choose to be a close-minded idiot and not keep the Zeus, the only horn where I can pop out double-high C's."

But I'm sure I'm just depriving my own trumpet-playing experience and closing my mind though. lol. Silly me.
Legionaire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa you guys are incredible. I have never seen so many words wasted on a piece of melodic plumbing im my life. I have played trumpet for 44 years, nay a well known professional but readily reognized in my region. I have used and still own a Besson Brevette, a Selmer Radial and a Conn Constellation. If I am to believe Mr Turner, not a Wild Thing, but nobody in my audiences ever complained. Not even me.
Back in February of this year I noticed an E-Bay sale for a ZeuS Guarnerius ABL trumpet. I was intrigued. I had never heard of one. I decided to check it out. Of course Zachary Music was over the top with praise. Then I checked Trumpet Herald and Trumpet Master. Now there was a plethora of opinion! To be fair I also checked the archives. Boy you dudes got pretty nasty with each other.
At any rate, intrigued by this much controversy, and, having a few cheap Canadian bucks to squander, I decided to bid on this ZeuS. Lo and behold I won! T'was a great move. Lovely bit of pipery, sweet tone, easy to play and looks good. Oh yes, and the price was right.
I am at a loss to understand where you guys are coming from. Its like the lad from the slums who gets an education but can't get a decent job because of his previous address. I almost detect a note of nationalism creeping into some of the posts. There may be better compilations of metal tubery kicking around but I have not had the privilege to play them. This ZeuS is dandy for me. I am more than willing to let the new kid move into my neighbourhood.
Before you ask, I do not sell ZeuS products, I am not paid by Alex and I tend to think for myself.
Zeusfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To set the record straight, I only pretend to be this arrogant when posting. This is definitely not the way I sell to normal customers. You guys are a totally different breed. You have played every horn. You think you know what is the best out and there is nothing I can say to change your mind.

I hear stories all the time of how a customer will buy a horn because of the controversy behind Zeus. They tell me that they are smart enough to read through the trash-talking. If we are this passionate about the horns we sell, then we are definitely this passionate about doing everything possible to make customers feel their horn is worth the hype.

I could take a class on "human resources" or I could keep selling Zeus horns all the time. I will give you an example that people we look at Zeus even through all the crap. Read this quote from a trumpet master thread referring to me:

"If I were going to buy a Zeus cold turkey through the mail, I wouldn't, based on the posts of many pro-Zeus people on both TH and here on TM. I know a Zeus dealer and I know that his online persona isn't representative of how he is in real life. I'm not in the market for a new horn, but I hope to get a chance to try one in the near future because I know this dealer is a decent person. No, I don't have a doctorate, I don't have an undergrad degree, I'm not even the principal player in Wind Ensemble, but I know how to evaluate a horn."

People sift through junk.

Zeus Olympus
Zeus Guarnerius Bb
Zeus Guarnerius C

alwyswinn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you treat people here extra special. Still makes no sense. oh well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: