• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Sections of Major Symphony Orchestras

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Trumpet Sections of Major Symphony Orchestras Reply with quote

TABLE OF CONTENTS and IDEAS ON HOW TO CONTRIBUTE:

This folder will serve as a "Table of Contents" to each of the individual Symphony Orchestra listings of Principal Trumpet players that have been prepared for the Trumpet Herald web-site. The original "working" folder entitled Historic Trumpet Rosters for Major Symphony Orchestras contains all of the specific conversations that led to the compilation of these lists of Principal Trumpet players and their tenure with the orchestra.

This project can grow and develop in many different ways, but as a starting point, I thought I would suggest some possible ideas about what could be included when you go to any of the attached symphony links.

1) On-Line Articles: I have found many on-line articles that will be included in each of these folders, mainly from the ITG Journal Online web site. This will provide you with a great reference source to read fantastic interviews about many of the players that have performed with these outstanding musical organizations.

2) Books and Magazine Articles: There have been many books and magazine articles written about symphonies and the players within these organizations that are worth looking into. If you have specific books or articles in your personal library and would like to give an overview or recommendation, this would help others to find additional resources with pictures and stories about a specific musician or orchestra.

3) Significant Recordings: These could be the Top 5 recordings for each different "era" with a particular Principal Trumpet player. Recordings can either be the "best" recordings of a particular work, or just an especially "shining" musical version from the trumpet perspective. A brief description about why you like it so much should definitely be included! Remember to include recording dates for the recording to tie back to the list and if you know, cite the specific Principal Trumpet player!

4) Personal Stories: This is where our TH membership can make this like no other reference source available. Many of the current players in these ensembles view this list and enjoy sharing stories about their experiences in their orchestras. This could also be a chance for the rest of us to share a story about a memorable lesson with a specific player or a story about a remarkable concert going experience.

5) Section Players: Names and years of tenure of the section players for each ensemble could be added to the folder at a future date. This is hard work and would require someone dedicated to one specific orchestra to find and verify all of the details. This task is too large for one person. If you are interested, use the existing list format (run it through the "working" folder first for comments) and then post it to the final folder.

6) Video / DVD Recordings: Videos, Laser Disks, and DVDs of Historic Performances are the closest thing to being at an actual concert. Many historic concerts fail to list any orchestra personnel on the Video/DVD jackets. These folders would be a place to verify, "Who's on first?" If you know who is playing, please post the members of the section. If not, hopefully someone can fill in the details.

7) Conductors / Music Directors: A listing of the conductors and/or music directors that led the orchestra along with their dates of tenure would be a great addition. Some of this information is readily available on-line. For other ensembles, some work would be required.

8) History of the Ensemble: Many web sites list the history of their orchestra. For those that don't, it might be interesting for someone to step up and give an overview.

9) Other ideas...

Looking forward to seeing how this develops. Have fun!

Symphony Orchestra Rosters Project - Phase 2 (Player Bios)

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:51 pm; edited 6 times in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUMPET SECTIONS OF MAJOR SYMPHONY ORCHESTRAS:

As this list continues to grow, it makes more sense to group the ensembles by country first instead of simply providing a very long alphabetical listing of all ensembles:

EDIT: I have reworked the “Table of Contents” to include the current expanded list of orchestras to be considered for this project. The ensembles are now grouped by “country”. This list will certainly continue to grow, as the continued interest is there to add new ensembles.

• Asia
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Canada
  • Czech Republic
  • France
  • Germany
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Mexico
  • The Netherlands
  • Russia
  • Switzerland
  • United States
  • United Kingdom

ASIA

Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra

Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra

AUSTRALIA:

Australia Opera and Ballet Orchestra

Sydney Symphony

AUSTRIA:

Vienna Philharmonic:
TH Link When Available

CANADA:

Toronto Symphony Orchestra

Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal

National Arts Centre Orchestra

CZECH REPUBLIC:

Czech Philharmonic Orchestra:
TH Link When Available

FRANCE

Major Orchestras from France
This is a link to a post that has
four of the Major Orchestras
from France listed

GERMANY:

Berliner Philharmoniker

Dresdner Philharmonie:
TH Link When Available

Gewandhausorchester Leipzig:
TH Link When Available

Major German Orchestras
many of the German Orchestras
listed (nearly 100)

ISRAEL:

Israel Philharmonic Orchestra

ITALY:

L'Orchestra del Teatro dell’Opera di Roma:
TH Link When Available

L'Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala:
TH Link When Available

MEXICO

Major Orchestras in Mexico
many of the Orchestras from Mexico
listed (over a Dozen)

THE NETHERLANDS:

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

RUSSIA:

St. Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra:
TH Link When Available

SWITZERLAND:

Orchestre de la Suisse Romande

UNITED STATES:

Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

Baltimore Symphony Orchestra

Boston Pops Orchestra:
TH Link When Available

Boston Symphony Orchestra

Tanglewood Music Center Fellowship Program Orchestra

Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra

Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra

The Cleveland Orchestra

Colorado Symphony Orchestra

Columbus Symphony Orchestra

Dallas Symphony Orchestra

Detroit Symphony Orchestra

Florida West Coast Symphony:
TH Link When Available

Houston Symphony

Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra

Kansas City Symphony

Los Angeles Philharmonic

Metropolitan Opera Orchestra

Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra

Minnesota Orchestra

The Nashville Symphony:
TH Link When Available

NBC Symphony Orchestra

National Symphony Orchestra

New Mexico Symphony Orchestra

New Orleans Symphony:
TH Link When Available

New York City Ballet Orchestra

New York City Opera Orchestra

New York Philharmonic

North Carolina Symphony

The Philadelphia Orchestra

The Phoenix Symphony:
TH Link When Available

Pittsburgh Symphony

Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra

Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra

San Diego Symphony Orchestra:
TH Link When Available

San Francisco Symphony

San Francisco Opera Orchestra:
TH Link When Available

Santa Fe Opera Orchestra

Seattle Symphony:
TH Link When Available

Tulsa Symphony Orchestra:
TH Link When Available

Utah Symphony

UNITED KINGDOM:

British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) Symphony Orchestra

English Chamber Orchestra:
TH Link When Available

The Hallé Orchestra

London Philharmonic Orchestra

London Symphony Orchestra

Orchestra of Opera North

Philharmonia Orchestra

The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra:
TH Link When Available

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra:
TH Link When Available

The Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

Royal Scottish National Orchestra:
TH Link When Available

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 am; edited 65 times in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are five links to "final" folders now available in this Table of Contents folder so I thought I would bring this one back to the top. Philadelphia and Detroit will be soon to follow.
njp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be adding a Montreal Symphony section link?
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

njp,

In addition to the 2nd post in this folder, I would like to add the following ensembles:

1. Atlanta Symphony
2. Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
3. Berlin Philharmonic
4. Montreal Symphony Orchestra (OSM)
5. Philharmonia Orchestra
6. Toronto Symphony
7. Vienna Philharmonic
8. Other European Orchestras if Someone can Help!

I may have to post incomplete lists in the Final Folders if the progress on finding information comes to a stand still (i.e. Dallas won’t progress any further unless someone goes to the Dallas Public Library to go through the old programs). We need a volunteer to make that happen. I’m sure as we get to impasses on future groups, I will get to the point where I know where the information is physically located, but a local THer will have to actually go there to get it.

Anyway, this project is progressing nicely so far. I hope others will begin posting in the final folders! I feel like a lone wolf at this point. It’s fun to be first though!
lonelyangel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek, other orchestras in the UK which you might consider are: The London Philharmonic Orchestra, The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, The Halle Orchestra.

All the best, Noel Langley.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noel,

Thanks for the input on the possible additions to our list. When I read the ITG Journal article "The London Sound" I discovered what an amazing number of world class ensembles perform in the city of London. I had no idea a city could support so many top-notch groups. Wow!

Since the real intent of this project is to provide a name to tie with specific recordings of different orchestras, as long as we choose groups that are well recorded, I think it makes sense to add as many as we can.

Being from London, maybe you can see if any of this research has already been done for some of these ensembles. THer Andrew Tomlinson has been providing me with fantastic support (also from the UK), but if we can tap into others who are interested in this project, I know it would be very helpful.

If you can provide any stories or recording/DVD suggestions for the BBC Symphony Orchestra folder that has already been opened that would be great!

Look for the orchestras you mentioned in the Historical Trumpet Rosters folder in the next week or so.

Thanks,
_Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek, In addition to the orchestras Noel mentioned, you may want to look into The Orchestra of the Royal Opera House (who should be well recorded) and The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra (Who are rumoured to be the oldest orchestra still in existance).

I'll be glad to help if I can, but my resources are somewhat limited at present.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarino,

Thanks for much for your additional list of ensembles. I will try to get a start on the new groups this weekend in the Historic Rosters folder. I will certainly solicit your assistance in filling in the blanks for these groups (I know there will be A LOT!). If you don't know the answer but know someone in your area that has done some research, let them know what we're trying to do and get them involved.

Take care,
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of orchestras from the British Isles, how about the Royal Scottish National Orchestra? I think it would be a mistake to leave them out!

http://www.rsno.org.uk/

Paul Poovey
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

As I've mentioned earlier, I'm all for seeing this list grow to include MANY different ensembles. My personal references for finding information for this project include the ITG Journal articles and searching the Internet via Google. When I arrive at an impasse, that's when other's (preferrably) local to the orchestra must step up and help fill in the details.

I agree about your suggestion to add the RSNO. Look for it in the Historic Rosters folder in the near future. And if you have stories or recordings to add to any of the other ensembles, please do!

Thanks,

[ This Message was edited by: Derek Reaban on 2004-04-16 11:10 ]
Tal Katz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if anyone's interested in the Israel Philharmonic section I can check that with my teacher...
But I don't know if anyone's interested...
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tal, of course I am interested in the trumpet sections of the Israel Philharmonic. Quite a few great players have played there!

By the way, can you comment on a rumor that I recently heard: That for years the Israel Philharmonic refused to play any of Wagner's music (and with good reason). But, did they program some Wagner a few years ago?

Mike
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer some of your question. Yes, it is true. I believe Zubin Mehta decided enough was enough and programmed some Wagner. Some of the audience walked out, and he understood that it would be offensive to those who had lived through the holocaust.
I don't think some members of the orchestra were too happy either, but understood Mehta's motives.

I'm sure Tal Katz will add in some more details.

Andrew Tomlinson

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2004-04-16 15:25 ]
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tal,

I have a great DVD where Zubin Mehta is leading the Israeli Philharmonic in a rehearsal of Till Eulenspiegel by Richard Strauss. This is the first performance of a German composer that the IPO had presented since World War II. There is some very interesting commentary by players of the orchestra about the performance and their impressions about the political climate. A very good disk! The Principal Trumpet at the time was Andrew Balio who is now in Baltimore.

I also believe that during Zubin Mehta's time with the IPO that everytime he needed a Principal Trumpet he would simply call Tom Stevens from the Los Angeles Philharmonic and take his recommendation for a new player.

I know that Robert Frear was a Principal Trumpet with the IPO years ago. He ended up at my High School as an interim band director, and I was asked to go back when I was in college and play a musical. What a treat is was to sit beside him!!! Later I had a gig with him at a church and when I looked at my check, they had misspelled my last name. Instead of Reaban they spelled it Freaban! I guess because the person writing the checks had just written one to Mr. Frear. They made me endorse the check with an F in front of my name at my bank before I could cash it!

By all means, lets work on the Israeli Philharmonic. If your instructor can help with an historical list, that would be fantastic.

Take care,
Tal Katz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...
As for the Wagner story... it wasn't like that at all...
It wasn't the Israel Philharmonic.
There's a festival every year in Jerusalem. a music festival and all kinds
of ensembles are playing there... Daniel Barenboim's wife is arranging that festival.
So 3 years ago Maestro Barenboim came with the Staatskapelle orchestra to play in that festival in Jerusalem.
So they had a program... they performed the program and when they finished Barenboim turned to the audience and said: "That's it, we finished playing. Now we are going to play an encore and if someone wanna leave the concert hall he may now. We're going to perform the overture from Tristan and Isolde."
and then he turned to the orchestra and started playing.
The people in the audience were shocked... started shouting at the conductor...
It was filmed... I saw it on tv.
Well... since then, Daniel Barenboim isn't much liked here in Israel.
He's known as a provocateur.
He went to play in Ramalla afew times for kids there. He has a project there. He want kids there to study music.
So there are some people here don't like him doing that.
Anyway. about that Wagner story. most of the audience was a young audience so some of them were really stupid.
If most of the audience were old people that went through the holocaust so I guess it'll give them like associations from those times. But there were younger people there.
They were angry on him for violating the law. cause it's been written in law not to perform Wagner in Israel in public.
In any case I had the chance to work under him, maybe this upcoming summer again and I think he's a genious and an amazing musician. and I believe he got some great ideas about the situation in Israel.
Last summer when I played in that orchestra he conducted (West-Eastern Divan Orchestra),
we had coaches. the brass section worked with the principal horn player from the Staatskapelle. So I talked with him about that incident and he said that they knew that Tristan and Isolde is for encore and they were really afraid about that and when Barenboim decided to go for it there the horn player told me he was really scared...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that was the Wagner story.
Now back to the IPO trumpet section.
There were many principal trumpet players here over the years.
Most were american trumpet players.
Zubin brought sometimes a principal player to play here and there were some times that there were just too weird players and left like after a few months. yeah from LA and I don't know where else from.
The current section includes:

Yigal Meltzer - Principal Trumpet (My Teacher )
Ram Oren - Assoc. Principal
Ilan Eshed - Asst. Principal
Raphael Glaser (Rafi) - 2nd trumpet player (Rafi goes out to pension. On July there are auditions. 2nd trumpet player)

Yigal my teacher is the first Israelien trumpet player to play principal in the IPO. and he's an amazing player.
Before him Andrew Balio played principal. Andrew is an awsome player but I wont get to more personal stuff.
Not here anyway. You can hear his great playing on Mahler's 6th symphony cd with Zubin and the IPO.
Yigal studied with Robert Freer when Rob was playing Principal in the IPO. Yigal says Rob's a great player.
Yigal studied with Jim Pandolfi, Phil Smith and Laurie Frink. I don't know who else.
Hmmm.... Rob left because of the Gulf War.
There was a guy played here for a few months. He used wooden mouthpieces.
Not sure... But I think it was Stan Friedman. I know Friedman played in the IPO but I don't know if it was him.
Ed Cord played in the IPO. hmmm.... who else.
Dunno.
I'll look for more info about that.

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Tal Katz on 2004-04-17 12:49 ]</font>
brass2002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Butler played principal with IPO for a few years before he moved to Seattle.
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek:

I studied with Robert Frear when he was in the IPO (had lessons right before Yigal Melzer, the present principal), and babysitted his cats and flat when he was away on summer vacation!

Needless to say, I learned a lot from him and got to play assistant principal in the IPO and countless other gigs onstage and offstage with him, so this was one of my best orchestral experience years.

I remember once we did a reading of Ein Heldenleben with Mehta, prior to the one you saw. I can't remember which part I played, just that it was an awesome experience.

Tal:

Other players (sorry, I don't have the dates!):

- Ken Cox was an amazing player from Cleveland who went from 1st in the Jerusalem Symphony to principal in the IPO, in the middle 80's (I studied with him also).

- Ilan Eshed filled in as principal after Ken Cox left

- In the 60's, Pierre Thibaud had a stint as principal in the IPO

- Wasn't Giangiulio around some time?

- Yoram levi played 4th for ages there and also some utility, if I remember correctly (he was the one who got me to read The Inner Game of Tennis and rebuilt me after some unfortunate lip odyssey!) He left for Australia at one point, I don't know what became of him after that.

Robert Frear is playing on the video with the IPO and Berlin in Tel Aviv.

Regards,
Pierre.

[ This Message was edited by: PC on 2004-04-19 08:36 ]
Tal Katz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't know how I forgot to mention Ken Cox.
He's still around teaching... I don't know where. Actually I'm not sure if he's still here.
brass2002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that it was Ken Cox who played the Blume solo in Mahler I (EMI) with IPO& Mehta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: