• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breathing and mouthpiece pressure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another Stamp concept on which I would appreciate any comments. When Roy Poper published his guide to Stamp he did an interview for the ITG Journal (12/96) and one of the things he said was:

"If there is a misconception about mouthpiece pressure, it is that players think they can breathe and apply the "necessary" amount of mouthpiece pressure all at once. This philosophy generally has dismial results. On page 5 of the BIM edition [of the Stamp book} while discussing mouthpiece pressure, Stamp says, "What pressure is needed is added after the breath. This applies also when playing the instrument [as well as the mouthpiece alone.] This has proven to be a most important point in my teaching.' Stamp taught for over 60 years and felt this to be a crucial point. From my experience I would say that more than 90% of all range and endurance defects in trumpet players stem from applying the prssure too soon, with the lip not ready to receive the trumpet mouthpiece. Simply stated, breathing in, putting the tongue in place, closing the lips and making them ready to play before the mouthpiece is put on the lips, will translate almost immediately into improved range, endurance, and sound."

This appears to be one of those seemingly obvious concepts that must not be so obvious when put into practice, otherwise Stamp would not have had to put much emphasis on it.

--I know I have had trouble adhering to it especially on re-breaths. Ironcially I came to the realization I was having problems with this when was working out of the Caruso book. I think most of you know that in order to simplify the process to help one develop air and chops, Caruso has you keep the embouchure and mouthpiece pressure constant during rests and has you breathe through the nose. I found I could get through the excersie better (and higher) when I did it the Caruso way, rather than breathe through the mouth and reset.

But you can't breathe through the nose forever (and certainly Caruso did not advocate that) so I would guess that all of us, to varying degrees have to confront this issue. Stamp/Poper are one of the few places I have seen the concept discussed

Some questions I have is: Are there exercises Stamp or anyone else has prescribed to develop this concept? I am aware of the Stamp's quick breath exercise (for which I have some separate questions for another post) but are there others? --I would guess that to avoid holding the air the process as described by Poper has to be developed to be very quickly executed.

Any comments are appreciated.
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you look into trying breath attacks. Jimmy talks about this at the beginning of his book. I believe he uses a pu syllable. Also, many students of Stamp do not agree with everything in Poper's book. I am only a student of someone who studied with Stamp, but I have heard this from quite a few of his students. I personally agree with you about waiting to apply the pressure. I let the embouchure form as I blow, so as not to create unnecessary tension. However, this will only work with advanced players. Good luck.
1B
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-20 16:23 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: