• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Literature for brass bands and other small brass ensumbles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vax player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to know what the composition of typical brass bands are. Right now, I've got two trumpeters, a tuba/trombone player, a trombonist and a trombone/baritone player. I may add more. What parts/instruments do you need for brass band music?

Actually, I just found the instruments here: http://www.nabba.org/Instruments.htm

Can anyone recommend any fanfares? I saw the U.S. Army Herald Trumpets and I love their stuff. I just don't know how to get a hold of any music.

Can anyone recommend jazz for quintets/small groups? I love the sound of Byrd and Brass.

Basically I want to explore my options for the group I can pull together. Any ideas? Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: Vax player on 2002-04-04 16:15 ]
davidquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here

http://www.harrogateband.org/indexlk4.htm
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

For the traditional British instrumentation group, contact the Georgia Brass Band (they have a website by that name) and check with them. They are a wonderful brass band in the Southeast and the leaders (and members) are all super people. They can point you in the right direction (musically and organization tip wise) and might even have a chart or two!

For smaller instrumentation, contact Paul Hanna of the Tallahassee Brass Quintet. They've got TONS of charts and I'm sure Paul would help you out.

All the military bands now have their own websites. You can contact the specific bands on their sites and inquire about the herald trumpet music. Also, the Marine Corps Band (The President's Own) in Washington does a lot of herald stuff.

Good luck. It would be so nice to see a British brass band get formed in my hometown! Those shepards crook cornets sound so awesome!

Warmest regards,

Tom Turner

[ This Message was edited by: tom turner on 2002-04-15 08:00 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: