• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lesson 11 Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having some problems with Part IV.

It says "Four times in one breath"

I can not play it four times in one breath with a full sound.

To be able to play it 4 times in one breath I can only do it if I do it real fast and real soft.

But sometimes when I do it soft I run out of breath when it keeps going up higher.

So what can I do to help me get it 4 times in one breath?

I already fill my chest and it rises and everything.

So how do I master this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bill Hicks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Claude's instructions at the beginning of the lesson, he says "Work for 4 times in one breath." That means gradually work your way up to 4 times in one breath. Below the exercise he says "Pracice slowly and accurately, the work for speed." Don't be in a hurry to it 4 times in one breath. Practice for accuracy, gradually increasing speed. Always play at a comfortable volume. Think "EE" and cresc. as you go up, "AW" and relax going down. Lift fingers high - strike valves hard. With repitions you will develope breath support, control, accuracy and speed, then the 4 times in one breath will be no problem.
American Music Theatre 1997-2008
Big Band Nostalgia 1990-2010
www.billhickstrumpet.com
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trjeam,

Along with the SA lessons each day, have you also been doing the breathing exercises that Claude talks about in the "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing" book (in there he then refers you to his "A Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing" book)? These exercises are incredible! I started doing them at the same time that I started the SA lessons (about four months ago), and my wind power/control has grown tremendously. I went from barely being able to play four bar phrases at a moderate tempo, to now being able to very comfortably being able to play eight or sixteen bar phrases. I haven't gotten to Lesson 11 yet, but I would imagine that these breathing exercises would greatly help in being able to do the chromatic scale exercises with the repeats.

Mike Trzesniak
Bill Hicks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The breathing exercises improved my playing more than any other one single thing. I started them when I was a young man in the army. My chest went from a size 36 to 40 in about 4 months time.
American Music Theatre 1997-2008
Big Band Nostalgia 1990-2010
www.billhickstrumpet.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: