• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Greatest Live Performance on CD - Your Vote?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the greatest LIVE performance that you have ever heard on CD - for ANY instrument?

I could limit this to trumpet but there are some really good musical ideas out there that are being expressed on "lesser" instruments.

My vote:

Album: Ellington at Newport 1956
Song: Diminuendo in Blue and Crescendo in Blue
Perfomer: Paul Gonsalves on Tenor Saxophone

You know if I'm voting for a SAX player it must be one hell of a performance. Anyone who knows Ellington knows why I choose this one. Talk about firing up the crowd!!! If you never heard it - go get it. He played 27 choruses that contained some very good stuff. While the entire band made this recording great, Paul was the one out front blowing his brains out and responding to the feedback of his fellow musicians and the fevered crowd.

How do you top that? I'm waiting.... I have a feeling you guys are gonna have me running to the CD store... AGAIN!

[ This Message was edited by: Xenoman on 2002-04-10 16:37 ]
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miles Davis, _The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965_. It's Miles with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. Instead of playing the originals this group recorded in the studio, they play the 1950s/early '60s Miles repertoire instead, including "If I Were a Bell, "Autumn Leaves," "So What," "Oleo," etc. Miles is a little out of shape due to a layoff but still plays great, which adds to the crackling intensity. Wayne Shorter has never played better on record.

_Miles Davis and John Coltrane Live in Stockholm 1960_ on Dragon is also very exciting--it was Coltrane's last tour with Davis, and he pushes the boundaries hard in his solos. Wynton Kelly, piano; Paul Chambers, bass; Jimmy Cobb, drums. There are a few other CDs from the 1960 tour and they are just as good.
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love the Carnegie Hall concert, I have to vote for the "Complete 1964 Concert" (double CD), which was available previously as two albums, "My Funny Valentine" and "Four and More". The story goes that the band (Hancock, Carter, Williams and the seriously underrated George Coleman) had a heated argument with Miles before the concert because he didn´t tell them that this gig was a benefit and they were not going to be paid for it. By the time they got on stage, they all were pretty angry, but they managed to put all that negative energy into making the most beautiful, purest music. "Valentine" alone is worth buying the album.

Martin
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-23 18:35 ]
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites include:
Buddy Rich "Live At Ronnie Scotts" ... partially on the CD "Time Being"
Lin Biviano / Jeff Stout !

The Woody Herman Orchestra (led by Frank Tiberi) Live At Ronnie Scotts (released a couple of years ago) ... has present band on it

Maynard Ferguson "Live From San Francisco"

Woody Herman Band "Gold Star"
Roger Ingram !

Woody Herman Band "50th Anniversary Tour"
Roger Ingram!

Dizzy Gillespies United Nations Orchestra "Live From The Royal Festival Hall"
Arturo (in the stratosphere)

The GRP Allstar Big Band "Live"
Arturo Sandoval, Chuck Findley, Randy Brecker, ? can't recall ... excellent recording!
Hotlipsporter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is this old recording on a laserlight compilation recording called "Duke Ellington and His Orchestra" that has an old recording of Blue Skies. Wow!!!!! That is the most swinging s*#@! I have ever heard. It sends chills down my back just thinking about those trumpets trading back and forth so perfectly together yet so individualistic. And then that huge climax to the end where Cat goes up to the triple g, good lord!!! Also, I love the recording Clifford did of a tune, I think it was named "Delilah", although it wasn't live- wow!!!
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-23 18:35 ]
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great subject sticking with ellington check out The Great Paris Concert it's unreal, one of the greatest performances.....nobody was better than Duke live. The begining of the first cd with kinda dukish leading right into rocking in rhythm is great...and of course cat is great as well...ray nance has some nice violin work too which is actually really cool.
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great guys. You have no idea how many times I've had some of the CDs you mentioned in my hands but put them back... I will remedy that this weekend...

Keep 'em coming!!!!
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volumes 1 and 2 of Art Blakey's "A Night at Birdland," with Clifford Brown. Brownie's solos, particularly "Now's the Time," are such masterpieces.

Also, volumes 1 and 2 of Art Blakey "at the Cafe Bohemia", with Kenny Dorham and Hank Mobley. Those two were the slickest, and were perfect for each other.

Finally, if you can find Woody Shaw's "Stepping Stones, Live at the Village Vangaard" on record, get it!

[ This Message was edited by: brenter on 2002-04-15 13:36 ]
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not one of the greatest of all-time but one of my all-time favorites- MF Horn 4+5 "Live at Jimmy's"-Maynard. Incredible energy throughout. And, for you sax buffs out there Ferdinand Povel (tenor) and Bruce Johnston (bari) are SMOKIN' on this album. No CD yet!?!?!?!? Come on Columbia- get your head out of your you know what!!
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-23 18:36 ]
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-23 18:37 ]
kenny dorham is an animal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget everything else...its all about the miles plugged nickel. Ellington at newport is wicked too, so iseverything else mentioned, but its all about miles at the plugged nickel. The chemistry on that album will blow ur mind. Were all also forgetting about THE QUINTET album with bird, diz, bud, mingus and max roach, what an album. But if you have not heard any of miles at the plugged nickel, buy it, d/l it off the net, steal it i dont care just listen to it.

DRES
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-23 18:37 ]
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Quintet is DEFINITELY on the list. Another one to consider is Charlie Parker the Washington Concerts. The man qoutes Stravinsky during his solo on "Out of No Where"... genius.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that this recording is on CD anywhere because it comes off the "Live At Jimmy's" album, but I have always enjoyed "The Fox Hunt". Then again, my standard answer when it comes to my favorite trumpeter is usually "Maynard Ferguson". Sorry, I just can't help it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-23 18:38 ]
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'm going out on a limb here, but the favorite live recording for me, right now, is from Miles "Live around the World". Michael jackson's "Human Nature". Miles plays okay, pretty wishy-washy, but man! Kenny Garrett wails for about 5 minutes straight, and the whole thing is one big crescendo.

At the end of Miles' solo, Kenny and he start trading little snippets and ideas, and then Kenny goes, and goes and goes...... absolutely unbelievable.
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nick,
My friends give me alot of crap for listening to Miles' later stuff. I think it's classic,... "Live around the world" is an awesome cd...Kenny's solo on Human Nature is just a clinic on how to structure and build a solo...it's unreal the energy they create on that song, it puts you in another world. My improve teacher had some bootleg recordings of Miles from the same time with the same guys and they played the same songs completly different, their imagination was infinate.
I also had a chance to see Dave Holland about a year ago, and Robin Eubanks quoted a portion of Kenny's solo on Human Nature during his solo and everyone in the band lost it laughing, it was so hip you had to see it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: