• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

7c to a......?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amo la musica

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out on cornet and my cornet came with a 6 and 5c mouthpiece. I got a trumpet and bought a 7c b/c i know it's good to start out on one. I didn't really like the feel of it as much. It just isn't as comfortable. I was thinking of getting a slightly larger mouthpiece but I thought "maybe i'll get a 'step-up' mouthpiece." (not to say that my mouthpiece is bad) I'm in highschool and I've heard that it is good to get a larger mouthpiece which can help tone and intonation plus I would like at least a slighty larger one for comfort. The problem is I don't know what sizes are good with which letter. What's a good general mouthpiece I should try?
Amo la musica

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention something. I recently got braces and I play with my lips in the lower part of the cup. When I play the mouthpiece rim rests right on the bottom braces and gives my lips cuts inside. Maybe a larger mouthpiece might be helpful with this?
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a 3C
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have braces, I suggest that you try 'The Balanced Embouchure'. Apparently, many of Jeff Smileys students that get braces return to normal playing very quickly, with no pain or lip cuts.

On the mouthpiece choice, go with what is comfortable and plays well for you, regardless of the cup diameter. It's like buying shoes. Chances are you will be best off on a trumpet mouthpiece close in size to what you used to play on cornet.

Michael
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not like the rim on the 7C. I would suggest a 3C. Bigger, but not to the extreme end of the Bach choices.

For me, a 3C is far better. It feels, and in fact is, larger in diameter, and has a more comfortable rim(on my face, that is). It would be good if you could go to a music store that has a variety of mouthpieces in stock and will let you experiment. Such stores aren't all that common as far as I know, but there is one in this area that has a display case with a large selection of Bach and Yamaha mouthpieces for trial and sale. It is primarily a band instrument store, however, and does not cater to guitars, keyboards, etc. So, I suppose they need to have as much service and selection as possible.
GrumpyPe0n
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trmpt mpc bach 3C is a great mpc yes. But depending on your chops, a 5C might be better. Gradual process as opposed to auch a big jump
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick word of reference, I currently use the dreaded large-letter Bach 7C and do play lead trumpet on it. Granted I don't have braces, but it's very possible to have endurance on that rim, not easy though. I've found that it requires very light mouthpiece pressure and a very strong embouchure setting comparatively speaking. The results have been phenomenal for me, but it all boils down to use what works. If there's no way a mouthpiece will work for you, don't try to make it work.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with a 7C. It's smaller than I like, and the inner rim is sharper, but it's not a bad mouthpiece.

Next, I don't think a larger mouthpiece will help with the braces. The difference between the center of the mouthpiece and the inner edge of the rim between a medium sized mouthpiece and a large one is only about 1/64th of an inch. Worse, you're wearing braces because you want your teeth to move, and they will likely move more than this.

Finally, be aware that the modern 3C is not much wider (and more than a little shallower) than a 7C. So if you want to go bigger, that may not be the best choice.

Cheers,

Tom
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Schilke 14.

Nate
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
VM Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-12 01:13, crzytptman wrote:
Try a Schilke 14.

Nate

Yes...I don't have a 14 but I don have a 12A4 and I love it! Go try a Shilke...NOW!
Kanstul BMV 1 1/2C/10, W3S/RZR, Yamaha 11B4
O-Dawgg

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A schilke 14 might be a little big of a step, maybe a 12(about 5c-ish). 13C4 is supposedly 3C-ish but I didn't like it very much. 12 was ok, 13A4a,13B, 14A4a were as well, but this isn't about me. Just try some and see what you like.

UMI Benge 90BLS
Benge 3C
Schilke 13A4a
Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew 1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a 13C4 and a 3C recently and the 13C4 seems like a slightly larger cup diameter. Also has a deeper cup or so it feels like. Since I got the 13C4, I've mostly gone to it for practice and then either use it, or a 12B4 or a 12A4A depending on the gig and the sound and range needed. They are all comfortable mouthpieces to me, but that's just me.
mouthpieces
Schilke 13C4, 12B4, 12A4
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, I started out on a cornet with a 5C (for ~ 10 years) and then went to a trumpet with the 7C that came with it.

I'm now using a 1 1/4C, which I find infinitely better than both of these smaller mouthpieces.

I'd suggest you ask your teacher to go and try out some mouthpieces with you - find what works for YOU, not what other people suggest on an internet forum. (No disrespect to any other posters - I just think you really need to see the player and the embouchure before recommending a mouthpiece!)
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to show how things are different for different players, I have played both the 3C and the Schilke 13C4, and found the feel of the 13C4 to be smaller and more restrictive than the 3C.

Also, a more unsatisfactory tone on the 13C4 for my purposes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: