• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Making a living

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetman4Jesus

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, just wanted your opinions on something. Do you think you could make a living playing in churches doing contemporary type christian music at some churches while at others playing more of a recital (classical) type stuff - depending on what the church wanted. I know Phil Driscoll does contemporary stuff, but he is a "star". Is there room left to make a living like that?
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always a demand for any type of liturgical music, and in a major city a great player could probably make a pretty good living (remember, charge premium for Easter and Christmas, this is probably 30 per cent of your annual income, be merciless!). As far as smaller cities go, local conditions apply. I know a professional violinist who has made a fine living in a fairly small town, just because she knows how to market and creates a demand for her services, which are primarily as a private teacher.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check out Pop's book on the topic, "How to get Gigs". http://www.bbtrumpet.com/gig.html

[ This Message was edited by: afp on 2004-06-01 22:59 ]
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiz Rider is one in our area PEN

making a go of it.
he a talented guy with good family support from the start. I haven't kept tabs on him but periodically students of mine will mention having seen him. - and I don't know if it's encouraging but they may not be able to name 3 other "known" trumpet players.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a couple guys here in the Houston area that play for some very large churches and they make just about as much as money as they do teaching in public schools.
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry - blame the cat for that one. (she has an annoying habit of jumping on the keyboard while I'm typing - and on the newspaper if I'm reading)

anyway - when I saw Chiz, a long time ago, he had a technical crew, but he performed alone on the stage. I remember thinking while watching him, that I would feel alone if I were him. Maybe I'm just not star quality. but I'd much rather work with other musicians than alone. -

you have to know what your income needs to be. How much $$/ gig. How many gigs per year is that.

sorry for the scattered thoughts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: