• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chicago School recordings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some of your favorite Chicago School recordings?
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I'm listening to most lately is the recording of _Concerto For Orchestra_ conducted by Boulez.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Boulez Cto for Orch is a great recording! I was at one of the concerts the week of the sessions (about 10 years ago). That was right after George Vosburgh left - Matt Cummeford was playing 2nd trumpet and did a great job! Bud picked up a picc to play the high lick in the last movement.

John Urness
johntpt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many great CDs and only 24 hours in a day, and only a few of those for listening!!!

I've been collecting CSO cds for about 15 years. I have almost everything they've recorded up until about 1995, and quite a few radio broadcasts of their concerts, official and bootleg.

There are so many great ones. Stokowski recorded a few pieces with them in 1968 and are well worth digging out of a library or whereever. From those sessions came Shostakovich 6th Symphony and Age of Gold Suite, Rimsky-Korsakov Russian Easter Overture, and the Khachaturian 3rd Symphony. The Khachaturian is a strange but very cool piece. It has an extra section of something like 15 trumpets playing fanfares. Check it out!!

I see on the CSO website that they've just released a new set of live concert recordings - this one with Rafael Kubelik conducting, including a Balshazzar's Feast from 1952. Can't wait to hear that one!!!

JU
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
johntpt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play it on an Eb. That works ok, but that still leaves lip slurs F to Bb that don't always like to pop out.

Last year I used my Schilke G trumpet. For me that's the perfect compromise. Big sound but also nice and secure. Most players use C, D, Eb, but not a picc. Most piccs would probably sound too thin IMO. But, then again, if it works for Bud...

More and more I'm losing my inhibitions for using smaller horns. It's easy to think along the lines of "Well I should be able to play everything on a C trumpet." Typical trumpet jock thinking. Mario Guarneri calls this the "Dead Hero Syndrome." He says that he's had the success he's had not because he was always the best player around but because he was always got the job done and was the last guy standing at the end of the day. A big part of that for him is using whatever horn fits the job the best and not always trying to be a hero by playing the biggest horn possible.

This is probably more than what you were looking for in an answer. Perhaps this should be a thread on another forum.

JU
pbtrpt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian:

If you've got an Eb that has a nice big sound then I'd go with that for the Bartok lick. If whatever you use ends up sounding too thin/small then it won't really work.
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
johntpt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 great Bach C trumpets. One is a 1957 L 239 Mt Vernon, the other is a 1970s Maloned L 229 25C. I had been using a Laskey Bach C until recently. That was a great horn, but I like the sound and response a little better on the other 2 that I own. Plus that was too many expensive C trumpets laying around, so I sold the Laskey to a friend in Mexico City.

I also regularly use a Monke rotary C.

JU
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months ago on the TPIN list suggested listening to Herseth play "The Emperor's Sickroom" from Stravinsky's _Song of the Nighingale_" as a model of sound before practicing each day. For a time I took that advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: