• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

titan suite

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahtpt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know that Maynard and Bud Brisbois have recorded this piece with New York Phil, and Boston Symph. orch (?) respectively (question on who brisbois recorded with)....but does anyone know if anyone else has attempted this since then? I would be very interested to know if anyone COULD play this today (or if anyone would want to listen to it....).
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are a number of players that could "handle" Titans today. MF's performance was by far the better of the two mentioned. Brisbois had the range, but not the power or fullness of sound in the extreme register. A player that comes to mind as someone that could handle it is Scott Englebright, Maynard's former lead player. His range is dependable well into the triple register. He's accurate, and doesn't thin-out around double C like a lot of players do. He played an amazing renditionof Shorty Rogers' "Maynard Ferguson" while @UNT. Very capable.
ahtpt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey MF fan, yeah, i totally agree with you on Maynard's performance being much better than Bud's, but you gotta admire Bud for even trying....and i think he was only like 19 years old at the time. I would be very interested to hear Scott E. play this piece, as well as guys like George Graham (maybe?) and Wayne Bergeron. I think Faddis could handle it for sure, and Arturo has the range, but i don't really like his sound above double C, (yeah, i know that's very picky, but hey......) so i don't think he would be someone I would pick to play it. I would definitely like to see someone give it a try though!!!!
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with this piece. Is there somewhere I can find a recording?

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ahtpt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure where you can find a recording of it, but it is basically a movement from a suite written in the '50's for "high-note" trumpet. I can't remember right offhand who wrote it, but someone on here will, i'm sure. Check ebay for recordings....i think I saw some up there a while back. It's definitely worth hearing, at least the Maynard version. Even though it's very high, it's the closest I've heard of Maynard playing "classical" music. I think it's pretty cool!
Conn&Getzen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The piece was composed by William Russo, who also wrote "The Halls of Brass" which was recorded by Kenton's Innovations in Modern Music orchestra.
I disagree that Ferguson's performance is better than Brisbois'. Ferguson was the first to play it as Russo had him specifically in mind when he wrote it, but Brisbois' rendition of it is overall more accurate and sure. This is obscured by the quality of the two recordings - the Ferguson version sounds as though it were professionally recorded while the Brisbois version sounds like a home recording. On the Ferguson recording, his tone is brash to the point of crudity, and he has a tendency to slur up to notes rather than directly attack them. Brisbois has a sweeter, less forced sound in the altiissimo register and he attacks altissimo notes - for the most part, dead on - rather than "approaching" them. I wonder what the Brisbois performance - which was conducted by Seiji Ozawa with the Chicago Symphony in 1967 when Brisbois was 29 or 30 - would have sounded like if the same recording techniques had been used as on the Bernstein/Ferguson recording.
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go!

https://youtu.be/KxL0Vp52EmI

https://youtu.be/CXs2Njct9Ek

https://youtu.be/UIIhPEdVegk

3 versions! The screech trumpet comes in around 17 min in the full versions.

Cheers
Pierre
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: